Randy Rhoads tone

J.Hammett
J.Hammett
07/12/2005 2:45 am
Do any of you guys know how to get a Randy Rhoads type of tone like of off the song Crazy Train? I'm not using
# 1
fretboarddragon
fretboarddragon
07/17/2005 10:30 am
It depends alot on your amp, your guitar, and the effects you use. If you have a guitar with humbuckers, that's a good start. Randy loved effects, especially chorus and flanger. I downloaded an awesome preset for my Digitech GNX3 processor, and I'll give you the settings I have to get you on the right track. It's not perfect, but it's damn close....maybe a little more tweaking would perfect it. Here goes:

The amp model is custom, so I don't know what the person started with. The gain is all the way up.
The tone settings are as follows: Bass: 3 (or about 1 o'clock) Mid: ALL THE WAY UP (Randy boosted his midrange alot) Treble: 4 (or 2 o'clock).
EFFECTS
Compressor: Threshold: 50 Gain:3
Chorus: Speed: 20 Depth: 3 Pre-Delay: 10 (The chorus is the key to getting that thick sound)
If you have a noise gate, that'll definitely need to be used. This is a very high-gain setting, and is prone to feeding back when turned up and played close to the amp. Alot of my friends comment on how close this is to the real thing. I've been trying for YEARS to get even somewhere near close to that sound, and now I have it. I hope this helped even a little and gets you what you're looking for.
For a quick snack, picks is good eatin'
# 2
J.Hammett
J.Hammett
07/18/2005 8:14 am
Sure does! I've come up with one myself but it still wasn't what I was looking for so thanks for the reply. I know Randy used an MXR (I believe) Chorus pedal but did he really use it on album stuff? Because I don't hear too much of a chorus going on and he doubletracked his solos.
# 3
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
07/24/2005 1:17 am
Yes...I believe Randy used an MXR Distortion +, I don't know if they still make those tho...I havent been in the market for a distortion pedal for quite sometime. However I think I read in guitar world that the latest MXR Double Shot Distortion contains the same parts as the Distortion + as well as the same parts as Dime's last Distortion Pedal. Check this out for more info.

http://www.mikesguitarsite.co.uk/gear/randy_rhoads/
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.