Cell phone trick

aschleman
aschleman
07/07/2005 6:17 pm
I was in the studio with my best friend one day and I we were messing around and I went to pluck my guitar with my cell phone (we were soloing using wierd things as picks and slides)... I accidentally opened it up and pressed a button and it rang out through the pickups. The frequencies must vibrate the strings enough to put the sound through the pickups.... So I experimented some more with it and I played some of my ringers through it. And my phone has a feature so you can make your own custom ringers using notes. I thought it was a pretty neat little trick. You can get some pretty trippy sounds if you distort the sound and use some Wah effects and stuff. Has anyone else experimented with this?? Or found other interesting devices to make trippy noises??
# 1
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
07/07/2005 7:07 pm
that sounds awesome...I have just messed with a drill(just holding and moving it above the strings, not actually touching the strings).This sounds awesome with wah, but Im sure most dudes have tried it before.

A friend of mine makes a really cool noise by throwing small magnets at his pickups..weird sounds, but cool.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 2
redspecial
redspecial
07/07/2005 10:26 pm
yeah, i just try that, n it works...
i think its not about the vibration or freq. its all about the microphonic pickups...
pickups can works as a mic...

i was read some "stunt guitarist" stuff from vai's website...
i remeber one of them:
"scream into your pickups"
[FONT=Verdana]rest in heavenly peace lil' fox...[/FONT]
# 3
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
07/07/2005 11:27 pm
Yeah, the drill trick is what Eddie Van Halen uses at the beginning of Poundcake....

Hold a pager (beeper) up to the pickups. Different pagers give different sounds, but they all put off a kind of electronic ticking sound.....discovered that by accident when I used to have a pager and had it on my belt while jamming.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 4
redspecial
redspecial
07/08/2005 12:01 am
hey i search the things, and yeah ure right. :rolleyes:
its not microphonic, its all about magnetic field... :o
[FONT=Verdana]rest in heavenly peace lil' fox...[/FONT]
# 5
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
07/08/2005 6:42 pm
One time a few years back I came home from the bars pretty lit up and flipped on my amp to do a little drunken playing, when NPR (National Public Radio) started coming out of my amp. It scared the **** out of me!

Turns out it was because my Playstation controller was sitting on top of it....Now that I think about it, I remember making a thread about this. You can read it here.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 6
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
07/09/2005 12:18 pm
Originally Posted by: LeedoggOne time a few years back I came home from the bars pretty lit up and flipped on my amp to do a little drunken playing, when NPR (National Public Radio) started coming out of my amp. It scared the **** out of me!

Turns out it was because my Playstation controller was sitting on top of it....Now that I think about it, I remember making a thread about this. You can read it here.

The sample at the beginning of satriani's flying in a blue dream was a similar story. His amp was catching some radio/television signal and they recorded it in the studio.

A friend of mine and I actually stumbled upon the cell phone thing too. He was playing guitar and his cell phone was in his hoodie pocket and out of nowhere there was this crazy and technical sound coming out of the amp. I looked at him and he wasn't even playing. Just standing there looking confused.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 7
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
07/11/2005 2:18 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsThe sample at the beginning of satriani's flying in a blue dream was a similar story. His amp was catching some radio/television signal and they recorded it in the studio.

That's a cool story, I never heard that one before.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 8
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
07/12/2005 1:13 am
Originally Posted by: AkiraWhat is actually said at the start of Flying In A Blue Dream?

Satriani even said he has no idea what's being said.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 9
rockonn91
rockonn91
07/13/2005 2:44 am
yeah, your pups will pickup just about any sound coming out of a speaker.

me n a friend were playing with this one day.

i got eric clapton playing on my mp3 player and put the headphones up to the guitar and it started playing it thru the amp we were like :eek: whoah! so then we played with all my effects and stuff. very funn. then we tried putting the guitar up on the keyboard's speakers and again, it went thru the amp. sounded pretty sweet with a wah wah on it haha.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 10
J.Hammett
J.Hammett
07/13/2005 7:25 am
I was playing with a friend two weeks ago and the radio was going through the amp when I had my wah all the way up.
# 11
Ironbird85
Ironbird85
07/13/2005 10:46 am
try the telly remote the infrared signals somehow cause wild noises
# 12
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
07/14/2005 12:55 am
Originally Posted by: aschlemanI was in the studio with my best friend one day and I we were messing around and I went to pluck my guitar with my cell phone (we were soloing using wierd things as picks and slides)... I accidentally opened it up and pressed a button and it rang out through the pickups. The frequencies must vibrate the strings enough to put the sound through the pickups.... So I experimented some more with it and I played some of my ringers through it. And my phone has a feature so you can make your own custom ringers using notes. I thought it was a pretty neat little trick. You can get some pretty trippy sounds if you distort the sound and use some Wah effects and stuff. Has anyone else experimented with this?? Or found other interesting devices to make trippy noises??

Disturbed figureed that one out,too. I was reading in guitar world that they use that in one of their song intros in their upcoming cd, 10,000 fists.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 13
cannibalgymnast
cannibalgymnast
12/02/2006 6:47 pm
Re: Red Special's mention of screaming into your pick ups - if you want to hear what thaty sounds like, The Pixies do it on 'Something Against You' From Surfa Rosa. Very harsh sound!
# 14
earthman buck
earthman buck
12/03/2006 7:39 pm
I think I read that the beginning of "Territorial Pissings" is like that, too. It's Krist singing into Kurt's pickups.

As for cool noises.....

A couple years ago I wanted to practice working with feedback without disturbing my family with loud noises, so I busted a cheapo pair of headphones in half and glued the two speakers side by side. I then plugged them into the headphone jack of my amp and just experimented with different proximities and angles to the pickups. I got some of the coolest noises I've ever heard out of those things. Unfortunately, it didn't help me very much in terms of mastering feedback, because the noises were so different from regular feedback.

I wish I still had that headphone thing; it stopped working after a couple days. I think the glue ate away at the wires or something.
# 15
Krunek
Krunek
12/03/2006 8:58 pm
Originally Posted by: redspecialyeah, i just try that, n it works...
i think its not about the vibration or freq. its all about the microphonic pickups...
pickups can works as a mic...

i was read some "stunt guitarist" stuff from vai's website...
i remeber one of them:
"scream into your pickups"

Funny you mentioned that...I remember I wisited that site od several occasions... And then I forgot what is the adress. Something like makubex.com or something. Anyone knows the exact adress?
# 16
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
12/04/2006 4:47 pm
I recorded a song with the band Cross Bones Where I just blew across the open strings over the pick ups. Pretty cool effect :cool:
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 17
crazyguy
crazyguy
12/07/2006 1:37 pm
www.vai.com is the adress.
While contemplating the "scream into your pickups" line, I stumbled on something interesting. I pressed the strings against my throat and sang (playing through a distortion box). Rather than me describing it, try it for yourselves.
Impendance is fruitfull
while the buttons are circled.:eek:
# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.