Reccomend me some albums please :)

Lohrtar
Full Access
Lohrtar
Full Access
07/06/2005 3:30 pm
(Sorry for silly thread title typo)

Well I'm expanding my taste in music. There are too many incredibly cool artists that I've just heard a few songs from. I'd like to have some CD's reccomended, so I can expand my CD collection.

Artists that come to mind that I really need to listen more to. (If you know similar stuff that is also way cool, that'd be nice too)

Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Jazz stuff in general, Steve Vai (Not really sure if this is my cup of tea, but it definitely deserves a listen), The Who, Eric Clapton, Guns 'n' Roses, Prince, Bright Eyes, Bob Dylan (Have some of his more famous albums, but I'm sure there are cool, not-so-famous ones).

So... What CD's to buy? Arguments would be cool too, instead of just a list of stuff you like.

Thanks in advance
Are you calling Homer Simpson a liar?
Well we have attained a footage of him with his pants on fire...
# 1
redspecial
redspecial
07/07/2005 1:03 am
"hendrix - blues" is great for electric blues. and it has acoustic version of "hear my train comin". after i listen it, i say "so jimi can play acoustic too..." :D

"joe perry - joe perry" is great... solo album from guitarist of aerosmith, u know...

"richie kotzen - electric joy" worth to listenin i think. sounds like vai, but not same...

"son house - father of the delta blues" is brilliant. u can learn from him "whats the feeling thing in music". simple, harsh and deep... :cool:

"the space cossacks - interstellar stomp" if u like surf music i recommend this. even if u dont, i think u'll learn some tricks in creative way...

"dick dale - tribal thunder" another surf album from the grandmaster. everybody should listen him... :eek:
[FONT=Verdana]rest in heavenly peace lil' fox...[/FONT]
# 2
ren
ren
07/07/2005 7:44 am
Steve Vai - "Fire Garden" & "Passion & Warfare"
Cream (and hence Clapton) - "Disraeli Gears"
Guns 'N Roses - "Appetite for Destruction", and *maybe* "Use your illusion I"
Jimi - "The BBC Sessions" - disc 2 is brilliant

If you haven't already, check out Joe Satriani "Surfing with the Alien" and and Stevie Ray Vaughan. There's also an album by Stevie and Jimmy Vaughan called "Family Style" which is brilliant.....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 3
Lohrtar
Full Access
Lohrtar
Full Access
07/07/2005 4:17 pm
Ah, thanks for you inputs so far... Now to find some money which I'm told can be exchanged for goods or services, in this case cd's....
# 4
aschleman
aschleman
07/07/2005 5:22 pm
Just go to a big record store and get all those bands/artists greatest hits... That would give you a good starting point so that you know what your favorite stuff by them would be. Then get the individual albums....

I'm more into finding new artists than rediscovering old ones.... so heres some stuff you should check out that haven't been listed.

The Mars Volta (very Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd'ish. John Fruscianti (sp?) plays guitar on some of the tracks.)
Eric Sardinas - Black Pearls (Slide blues player, will blow your mind)
Queens of the Stone Age - Lullabies to Paralyze

Along with those check out
The Allman Brothers (Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes... wow)

A lot of stuff has been already so theres just a few more that you should check out.
# 5
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
07/07/2005 9:45 pm
Jimi Hendrix - First Rays of the New Rising Sun: Just a great album...Hendix playing all kinds of styles...Dolly Dagger is an awesome song.

Al Di Meola: Only have one live CD and havent heard much of him, but it's really cool jazzy kind of music.

Robert Randolph and the Family Band - Robert Randolph is the man.
# 6
Lohrtar
Full Access
Lohrtar
Full Access
07/08/2005 12:47 am
Mars Volta were supposed to play at something called Roskilde Festival, but cancelled. I would've taken a look otherwise...

For some reason, I don't like greatest hits so much. I like the songs being in the intended order...
# 7
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
07/08/2005 7:02 pm
The May issue of Guitar One has a list of the 200 greatest guitar recordings of all time. Yet rather than try and compare Robert Johnson to Dimebag, they broke it down into 10 genres. I'll give you their #1's for each:
Classic Rock: Appetite for Destruction, GNR
Blues: Live at the Regal, B.B. King
Metal: Paranoid, Black Sabbath
Jazz: The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery
Shred: Rising Force, Yngwie Malmsteen
Modern Rock: Rage Against the Machine, self-titled
Soul/Funk/R&B: Green Onions, Booker T. & the MG's
Acoustic: 6 & 12 String guitar, Leo Kottke
Instrumental: Walk-Dont Run:The Best of the Ventures

Of course I've never heard 1/2 this stuff, but I was going to recommend that Leo Kottke one anyways, that's what made me think of the mag. Let me know if you want me to expand in any particular catagory. I'm not the one saying these are the best of their respective catagories, so don't anyone come back saying..."What are you thinking? ____ by ____ is way better than ____." Yet the comlete list was pretty comprehensive, almost everyone I listen to is in it somewhere.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.