Seriously seeking opinions

poeticmadness
poeticmadness
06/29/2005 4:55 am
I am having problems with EQ'ing my tracks. I use FL studio producer edition for all my drum, bass and other tracks. I also dump those to tape on my Tascam MFP-01 4 track. Then I use my Digitech RP5O and overdub my riffs in that manner. The problem I am having is no matter what I do, the backing tracks come out sounding muddy and muffled. I have tried audio cleaning software to " re EQ " the backing tracks, I have triedmessing with the EQ in FL Studio before I record the tracks to tape. I think I have exhausted my knowledge of the subject. I have no problems getting a great tone from the RP ( shocking considering the limited scope of the unit ), and my guitar tracks have plenty of punch and defintion.
Is it just the medium itself ? ( analog tape )I have heard various opinions on that and still dont know for sure. If anyone has any sort of input or nuggets of wisdom I am beyond happy to take them into account. HELP ! LOL.

RIP DIMEBAG !
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/29/2005 5:27 am
I'm assuming you mean analogue tape & 4 Track isn't the best, that's fer sure. All you can do is record and mix everything as hot as possible, mute unplayed tracks, EQ everything so that each instrument makes it's own little pocket in the mix, both in frequency and panning. Possibly use a little compression to get the mix even hotter on mixdown & mastering.
Other than that, you're limited by the tape itself. You'll always be fighting against the signal to noise ratio and probably putting up with noise reduction as well.
Just a suggestion but dump the 4 track altogether and move into software based recording. Not just for the quality, but for the ease of use and getting out of linear recording. Nothing's better than being able to drag and drop tracks around, add in a dozen effects, play keyboards digitally or use amp emulation software without going analogue at all. Plus, depending on your hardware, you'll be capable of getting 100 or more tracks to play with.
# 2
poeticmadness
poeticmadness
06/29/2005 9:27 am
thanks, i'll give that a shot. I am ditching the four track as fast as I can, just got that kristal audio engine, and its pretty cool..already noticed a HUGE diff. just in sonic quality alone. we'll see...lol. thanks again.

DIMEBAG RULES !
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.