These pickups should interest you. The design fundamentals are different.

kingdavid
kingdavid
06/23/2005 3:49 pm
I'm sure this is something a lot of people here would want to have a better look at. And if you have technical rebuttals of what is being said/claimed, I'm sure we'd all love to hear it, would we not, boys and girls?
Yeaaaahhh!
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
06/23/2005 6:15 pm
Very interesting indeed, but I would have to wonder how much of the actual guitar's tone comes through.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/23/2005 8:05 pm
"The Alumitone pickup is a radical departure in pickup making. Conventional pickups are voltage designed, meaning it’s the voltage in the current that makes them work. The Alumitone is current-driven instead. What this means is a much more fluid system which allows smoother operation."

[font=trebuchet ms]This just reeks of glossy sales-brochure bull****. ("voltage in the current" ???) Conventional pickups produce a signal because fluctuation in their magnetic field (caused by the strings vibrating) will induce current to flow in the coil(s). Pickup specifications are usually listed in terms of the voltage they produce simply because it's easy to measure. But there is no standardized methodology for taking those measurements, and no recognized standard for the conditions under which those measurements are taken.[/font]

"Also, the Alumitone is aluminium-based rather than copper-based. Aluminium is a much better conductor than copper. This gives you less resistance and higher output."

[font=trebuchet ms]Anyone who wants to claim that aluminum is a much better conductor than copper had better be ready to clarify whether they're refering to heat (true) or electricity (false). The second sentence is obviously untrue.

As for the rest of the 'review', none of the above matters in terms of whether or not a player likes the sound. Let's face it, if these things sound great, most players are quite happy to ignore being lied to by marketeers. So of course it would be pointless for me to point out things like "more bass" + "more mids" + "more treble" = louder. Duh![/font] :rolleyes:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
06/24/2005 1:00 am
...**shakes head**..yeah what Lord said, and besides...thier way ugly.
We've been dancin' with Mr. Brownstone...
# 4
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
06/26/2005 3:15 am
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings[font=trebuchet ms]Anyone who wants to claim that aluminum is a much better conductor than copper had better be ready to clarify whether they're refering to heat (true) or electricity (false). The second sentence is obviously untrue.

uh...i thought aluminum was a poor conductor of heat too.

[/goes for food on aluminum foil in the oven]
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 5
kingdavid
kingdavid
06/27/2005 4:19 pm
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings"The Alumitone pickup is a radical departure in pickup making. Conventional pickups are voltage designed, meaning it’s the voltage in the current that makes them work. The Alumitone is current-driven instead. What this means is a much more fluid system which allows smoother operation."

[font=trebuchet ms]This just reeks of glossy sales-brochure bull****. ("voltage in the current" ???) Conventional pickups produce a signal because fluctuation in their magnetic field (caused by the strings vibrating) will induce current to flow in the coil(s). Pickup specifications are usually listed in terms of the voltage they produce simply because it's easy to measure. But there is no standardized methodology for taking those measurements, and no recognized standard for the conditions under which those measurements are taken.[/font]
"Also, the Alumitone is aluminium-based rather than copper-based. Aluminium is a much better conductor than copper. This gives you less resistance and higher output."

[font=trebuchet ms]Anyone who wants to claim that aluminum is a much better conductor than copper had better be ready to clarify whether they're refering to heat (true) or electricity (false). The second sentence is obviously untrue.

As for the rest of the 'review', none of the above matters in terms of whether or not a player likes the sound. Let's face it, if these things sound great, most players are quite happy to ignore being lied to by marketeers. So of course it would be pointless for me to point out things like "more bass" + "more mids" + "more treble" = louder. Duh![/font] :rolleyes:

And to think I actually RESPECT the dude who wrote that review.
Being the clever boy that I am, you can see I actually made room for the fact that we might be getting lied to. I did wonder about that "voltage in current" thing.
Oh, and the dude is Canadian too. Ever heard of his progressive rock band, God Inc.?

PS: Don't believe what Lorda says just on the face of it. Seek out another and another opinion. Look at the points they raise. Then make a decision. Coz to tell you the truth, I couldn't tell when I'm being lied to about a lot of this technical stuff. I'm always asking questions and more questions. It helps make an informed decision, if nothing else.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.