Line 6 Guitarport + Rifftracker

mike&theblues
mike&theblues
06/21/2005 2:20 am
Hi

Just wondering if any of have used the new rifftracker yet.
I'm considering investing in this in a couple of weeks so would be grateful to hear from anybody who has been using it, or considering.

How good is it for home recording?
How good are the tones effects etc?
Is the instant drummer really that good?
Have you been put off by anything?

All that kind of stuff would be great if you can help.

Thanks
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
06/21/2005 12:57 pm
I personally would get the PODxt instead of the Guitarport. You can still get all the rifftracker and stuff and use the XT just like you would the guitarport. The reason I would get the XT is because you can plug it into your amp or a pa or whatever you want to play through. Whereas all the guitarport is, is a direct box to turn your guitar's signal into a digital signal so you can hook it up via USB. Your computer is the only thing you can hook it up to. Again, the XT does the exact same thing. But, if money is a problem, then get the guitarport, and you can alway's upgrade to the XT later if you want. Just remember, all the extra stuff for the GP is a subscription, so you'll have to pay for it every month.(AFAIK)
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
mike&amp;theblues
mike&amp;theblues
06/22/2005 1:48 am
Hi,

Thanks for the reply looks like this will certainly be worth looking into.

I have just read your gear review and at the moment certainly sounds like a better option, although I may have to wait a little longer until I would be able to afford this.

Now at the moment the big question is, I still don't believe myself to be a great guitar player, only 5 months in practising more each day, but I do know some lead and rythm to a few songs and want to be able to record them then mix the lead over the top of the rythm to see how they combine together.

Is this worth the investment for somebody of my experience, or does anyone recomend something diffrent.

Or would you invest in this now for the long term as I can't see myself giving up playing now I have started.

Thanks Mike
# 3
ren
ren
06/22/2005 7:56 am
Whatever you decide to go for, hearing yourself play is priceless.

I've got a POD xt, and it's great - I actually use a tascam unit (428) to do my recording, and cakewalk sonar to hack it all together. :cool:

It's definitely worth the investment. If you buy guitarport I suspect you'll want something better sooner rather than later... my playing cleaned up massively after I was able to hear what the audience could hear...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
ren
ren
06/22/2005 10:14 am
Originally Posted by: AkiraAFAIK? :confused:

ICQ Abbreviated Speak for 'As Far As I Know'....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 5
danmurrelljr
danmurrelljr
06/22/2005 2:38 pm
Originally Posted by: mike&thebluesHi

Just wondering if any of have used the new rifftracker yet.
I'm considering investing in this in a couple of weeks so would be grateful to hear from anybody who has been using it, or considering.

How good is it for home recording?
How good are the tones effects etc?
Is the instant drummer really that good?
Have you been put off by anything?

All that kind of stuff would be great if you can help.

Thanks

I bought one a couple of weeks ago and have been happy with it. I only got the GP, not the Rifftracker version. The tones sound great, but I don't know much about the instant drummer thing. I'm happy with the online lessons too. As for recording, I use a Creative Labs wave studio app that came with my old Audigy card, but have also used the free Audacity program too, which works fine. It records perfect sounding digital samples when going through the USB, so you can record your riffs and put together tracks and stuff in very good quality.

I saw the POD XT also recommended as an alternative, and I mean yeah if you can afford it, go for that. But for me the GP is fine because right now I'm just practicing in my home office. If you can get the POD XT as far as I understand you also get the GP functionality from that unit too.

Whatever you decide, you should be pretty happy. It's a cool little device. Only problem I had with it was this loud white noise burst every 15-30 seconds, but it's apparently caused by other USB devices sharing the same port with it. Just make sure you put your GP onto a USB port all by itself, preferably one coming directly off the motherboard. Not on a hub.

Dan
# 6
mike&amp;theblues
mike&amp;theblues
06/22/2005 8:11 pm
Thanks for everyone's reply's, think I will save until next month and go with the xt for the long term investment.

Thanks again
# 7
equator
equator
07/06/2005 4:23 pm
I have the Riff tracker, and it works good enough for me, the instant drumer feature has just a few rythms and you might want to upgrade latter on,
Stay away from the guitar port becouse you wont be able to record to a CD using the included software alone, you will need another software such as Sonar or other.
The riff tracker comes with a different prog. that allows you to burn your music onto a CD. And it includes all the sounds and effects of the Guitar port.
I use the riff tracker to record my songs, jam along using the drumer or making my own tracks.
Another cool thing is that you can bring a song from a CD to the program and play it at half the normal speed, what is known as riping a song. It also has a built in tunner, metronome, sounds, etc.
If you go for this make sure you have a pair of good headphones, they come handy in the final mix.
Now I wanna go to my local guitar store to check out the XT.
Keep those fingers playing.
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 8
Ironbird85
Ironbird85
07/13/2005 10:55 am
i have a podxt and i use the bögner uberschall ,soldano solo 100, bögner xtc,and the mesa rectifier amps flawless sound and recording i have a tascam i never use and a line 6 /guitar port <--(free to a good home)
and you can always download tones from the line6 website or post your own i got an awesome death tone from there"spiritual healing" that is dead on heavy and haunting and clear as a bell....podxt 299 well worth it
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.