what u think about steve vai?

redspecial
redspecial
06/18/2005 12:47 am
i think vai has something different. ok satriani was his teacher, and he's like god in G3, and malmsteen playin like a machinegun... but u know, vai not tryin' look cool, just actin natural and modest. also i can't define but he has great gift for express feelings... :cool:

so what u think about him?
whats his secret, is that ibanez jem with great tones, experiences with zappa in early years or something?
[FONT=Verdana]rest in heavenly peace lil' fox...[/FONT]
# 1
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
06/19/2005 9:39 am
Originally Posted by: redspecialwhats his secret, is that ibanez jem with great tones, experiences with zappa in early years or something?

i'd go with the zappa...sounds like he really learned a lot from being around Z and learned a lot about music from him. not in the sense of a teacher/student relationship...but more experienced musician/green musician sense...you know?
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 2
redspecial
redspecial
06/19/2005 12:00 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraVai is amazing.

so did u see him in astoria london? :eek:
# 3
Hootayah
Hootayah
06/19/2005 12:17 pm
I think Vai spends a lot of time browsing newsgroups and forums and posting questions about himself under fake names for the free advertising.
Try doing a search of all threads here that have the word Vai in the title.
Almost all of them are by new members with less than 20 posts.
Ain't it kinda weird that every few weeks, another new member starts yet another thread about Steve Vai and how "wonderful" he is.
Hey you kids! Get outta that Jello tree!! :mad:
# 4
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
06/19/2005 5:52 pm
Musically I think he's great. I've got the live DVD in London, which I enjoy watching, but as far as my opinion goes I'm not much for the constantly changing of the clothes and his particular style of bull****ting with the audience. It all just seems so rehearsed like he knows exactly how a show is supposed to go down to every word he says to the audience. And that's fine, I guess, but not my taste. But I'm not a fan for his clothes and conversations now am I?
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 5
eventhorizon
eventhorizon
06/19/2005 7:30 pm
Steve Vai at this moment in time in this world is by far the most diverse deeply enthralled into his art musician that is alive today, he has taken the guitar to a place that no one has before, he is completely lacking of ego not saying he isn't eccentric, but what great guitarist or musician for that matter wasn't, but being who he is the guitar is his choice of voice but music at it's essence is what he seeks to reveal, he is a composer an illustrator a painter of note's that has brought me to tears several time's, listening to Vai play you can virtualy hear the voice of the guitar speaking in word's what he is saying in his heart and mind, he is what I have seen to be, the most deepest physically connected virtuoso that has been since almost the classical days, Malmstein is great at what he does as is JSatch but Steve "took it past where he found it", he is revelation to me and my ears and I am glad to have been fortunate enough to have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy his music. JMHO
;)
# 6
redspecial
redspecial
06/19/2005 9:57 pm
Originally Posted by: HootayahI think Vai spends a lot of time browsing newsgroups and forums and posting questions about himself under fake names for the free advertising.
Ain't it kinda weird that every few weeks, another new member starts yet another thread about Steve Vai and how "wonderful" he is.

hey im not vai, if u mean that! i wish... :rolleyes:

and i dont think hes the best human can play guitar.
aslo i love his music and personality. yeah he knows show business and comm skills well. i dont know what r u xatctly mean, but generally its possible. :D
maybe ur right, hes lurkin and gatherin some feedbeack from listeners, maybe its just result of influenced people. u know, he always shocked me i saw his stage, even hes not that great every time. he got too many fans...

i dont wanna say "vai this, vai that, hes great, bla bla..." ok hes really something, but i wanna hear some ideas about his tech secrets... :confused:
# 7
ren
ren
06/21/2005 8:21 am
Steve Vai is my favourite guitarist in the 'virtuoso' bracket - echo what others before me have said. For me he's taken the art of guitar playing further than speed (and doughnut) merchants like Malmsteen.

I like that he's willing to experiment, and that he releases stuff he knows isn't commercial, but that his fans will dig. My only criticism of him would be that he goes to far for my taste with the 'guitar as religeon' sort of an angle - if you look on Vai.com it gets a bit evangelical sometimes - just my opinion...

On tone - one of my mates has a JEM, and when I had a go on it it seemed to create all these mad harmonics all on it's own. I'm not trying to suggest that SV just picks up a JEM and slaps it about and it's all luck, but those Evo pickups are amazing in vai-esque hi gain situations. The circular vibrato is kinda interesting as well...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 8
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
06/22/2005 7:37 pm
Vai is the man, no other way to say it. He's the only player that I know of that can cover every genre there is. Most guitar players of a high caliber like Vai can only play a few different styles. Vai can rip it up on blues, slide, metal, rock, indian, etc.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 9
Superhuman
Superhuman
06/23/2005 2:06 pm
I think he is one of the greatest guitarists ever. Maybe not the No.1 technically skilled player in history (there are guys who can shred faster and other who can play crazier runs eg Rusty Cooley and Michael Angelo Battio), but he certainly comes in as the most innovative and creative guitarists in history. His great songs are without equal but he does throw aout a fair bit of dross to fill up albums. Some of these tracks are oozing with pretensious phrasing but they still display amazing ability.
As a musician I would see him more as a composer than a guitarist. He just happens to be a guitarist who can actually play to perfection exactly what he has in his mind... that to me is what being a virtuoso is all about.
As far as his knowledge of music goes, I would say it is all encompassing and in years to come he could be viewed as one of the great off-mainstream composers of this time as Paganini is today. For those shred and neo-classical only guitarists out there, I heard Vai playing Paganini's Caprice live, it was a LOT faster and more emotive than Jason Becker's version, and that's saying something!
# 10
aschleman
aschleman
06/24/2005 3:15 pm
I am a Steve Vai fan... and have been for a long time... So you Vai fans out there, don't take offense to this:

I saw Steve Vai play at the House of Blues in Chicago a couple months back. Eric Sardinas opened for him (Sardinas rocks, check him out). Sardinas kicked @ss for about an hour... then there was another hour wait for Vai to come on.... I had already been standing for 2 hours to get into the concert... another hour and a half for Sardinas to come on... then another hour for Vai to come on. So at this point I had been standing for 4 1/2 hours.... In a hot, humid bar. Finally!!! Vai comes on and after about an hour of him playing, I was already bored... he IS amazing to see live. Perhaps I was upset that I had been standing forever... by the way. Vai played for 3 hours. which brought my time up to 7 1/2 hours of standing. At one point in the concert my friend looked at me and asked if I wanted to go... I was almost going to say yes... then Vai brought out his acoustic and did a 45 min acoustic set. It was a great concert. I got to see Billy Sheehan get down on the bass... Eric Sardinas play some bad @ss slide guitar... and Vais other guitar players are both really really really good. Either one could make a solo career. His drummer was a young dude and he could rock out too. So it was a good experience... but 3 hours is too long for a virtuoso set for me. You see all his sweep, tapping, and speed chops in the first 45 minutes of the concert. The rest of the time he's just going back through them.

Don't be offended, these are my thoughts about the Vai concert that I saw. I think Vai is an amazing artist and guitar player, nonetheless
# 11
redspecial
redspecial
06/24/2005 6:39 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanI am a Steve Vai fan... and have been for a long time... So you Vai fans out there, don't take offense to this:

I saw Steve Vai play at the House of Blues in Chicago a couple months back. Eric Sardinas opened for him (Sardinas rocks, check him out). Sardinas kicked @ss for about an hour... then there was another hour wait for Vai to come on.... I had already been standing for 2 hours to get into the concert... another hour and a half for Sardinas to come on... then another hour for Vai to come on. So at this point I had been standing for 4 1/2 hours.... In a hot, humid bar. Finally!!! Vai comes on and after about an hour of him playing, I was already bored... he IS amazing to see live. Perhaps I was upset that I had been standing forever... by the way. Vai played for 3 hours. which brought my time up to 7 1/2 hours of standing. At one point in the concert my friend looked at me and asked if I wanted to go... I was almost going to say yes... then Vai brought out his acoustic and did a 45 min acoustic set. It was a great concert. I got to see Billy Sheehan get down on the bass... Eric Sardinas play some bad @ss slide guitar... and Vais other guitar players are both really really really good. Either one could make a solo career. His drummer was a young dude and he could rock out too. So it was a good experience... but 3 hours is too long for a virtuoso set for me. You see all his sweep, tapping, and speed chops in the first 45 minutes of the concert. The rest of the time he's just going back through them.

Don't be offended, these are my thoughts about the Vai concert that I saw. I think Vai is an amazing artist and guitar player, nonetheless

im envy u... :D
and yeah, ur right about waitin part...
# 12
sixstringenius
sixstringenius
07/05/2005 7:17 pm
Vai is a awsom guitarist but cannot make a good song for ****. no shredder cept petrucci can.
# 13
aschleman
aschleman
07/05/2005 7:43 pm
Originally Posted by: sixstringeniusVai is a awsom guitarist but cannot make a good song for ****. no shredder cept petrucci can.

So you think Joe Satriani has never written a good song? If you ask me... Petrucci is too technical for my liking. I'd rather listen to someone who doesn't need to play every run as fast as they can. It's impressive.... but doesn't carry as much weight as a good, soulful solo. But you're entitled to your opinion, as am I. Vai's stuff is a little out there for most but every guitarist owes it to themselves to see him live atleast once. He will make you realize that you really do suck at playing guitar... and his rythm guitar players will make you think twice about saying "I've got what it takes to play side-by-side with a guy like Steve Vai"..... because you really don't.
# 14
redspecial
redspecial
07/05/2005 7:53 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanSo you think Joe Satriani has never written a good song? If you ask me... Petrucci is too technical for my liking. I'd rather listen to someone who doesn't need to play every run as fast as they can. It's impressive.... but doesn't carry as much weight as a good, soulful solo. But you're entitled to your opinion, as am I. Vai's stuff is a little out there for most but every guitarist owes it to themselves to see him live atleast once. He will make you realize that you really do suck at playing guitar... and his rythm guitar players will make you think twice about saying "I've got what it takes to play side-by-side with a guy like Steve Vai"..... because you really don't.

yeah man!
petrucci or malsteen, theyre both great shredders...
but unfortunately, thats all...

satriani's midnight is the best tapping stuff i ever listen.
is that so fast? nah... i think the speed is just a technical detail.
you need all of these, technic, creativity and EMOTION...
# 15
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
07/05/2005 9:30 pm
Originally Posted by: sixstringeniusVai is a awsom guitarist but cannot make a good song for ****. no shredder cept petrucci can.

God damn it i hate it when people say stuff like that..You are not only ignorant but insulting thousands of great guitarists. Petrucci is not the ONLY one that can write a good piece. Have you ever listened to "The Audience is Watching" by Vai? Have you ever listened to "Surfing With The Alien" by Satriani? If you honestly heard all the guitarists you could, you would realize there are more and in some cases better composers than Petrucci. :mad:
We've been dancin' with Mr. Brownstone...
# 16
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
07/05/2005 9:53 pm

Really? Because last time I checked a lot of Petrucci's solos were really out of place and forced. "Under a Glass Moon," for example, comes right out of left field. Not that I dislike Petrucci at all, he just tends to be a bit over the top.

Eric Johnson can't write a good song? Like, oh, say, Mahattan or Cliffs of Dover? Randy Rhodes can write a pretty darn coherent solo, as well. And lest we forget, Vai was in Frank Zappa's band for a good while, and if that's not a place to learn how to write a hell of a song, I don't know what is.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 17
silentmusic
silentmusic
07/06/2005 12:11 am
ok has anyone here heard Petruccis solo project? if not i would adivise u to get it.. he aint all about speed... he has some songs on that cd that are as heart felt as via or satch's songs.. yea he does some shredfest solos but thats his style u dont have to like him.. but he is in my opinon better than satch or via... thats just my opinion.. i have been a fan of his since the early 90s.. but in saying that Via kicks ass as does Satch.. :D
Akira says;
"i was expecting some 3476 string string skipping with some 23489172343 octave sweeps and some alt picking runs at 345734237623572bpm in 234872364781246164516th notes across your 2384723648724627348623478264 fret guitar"
# 18
AanGeLzZz
AanGeLzZz
07/06/2005 7:04 am
h3lloo .. buddies .. I m From PAKISTAN .. I have Heard very Much About .. STEVE VIA but Not have Seen Him Or Listened Any Of his TRACKS .. LolzZz ..
Would U Please Let Me Know Frm Where I can DL his Tracks Or Instrumentals ..

hmm I heard HEGADETH .. hmm a Song by SANTANNA .. (Maria Maria)

Well I m NEW Here .. hoping That U Guyzz Help Me Around I Like To Play GUITAR .. n as Far As I Think STEVE VIA Sir Is .. he Must have been a Great guitar Player .. Gettin As Idea from Reading All POSTS Of Urs

(Sorry A bit Out Frm TOPIC .. Waiting For Reply .. hoping That U All Help Me In Learning .. :) )

Take A Good Care Of (_)r Selfsss .. Alwayz :)
# 19
yngwievai
yngwievai
07/11/2005 10:34 am
Originally Posted by: HootayahI think Vai spends a lot of time browsing newsgroups and forums and posting questions about himself under fake names for the free advertising.

Would you think i'm steve vai? Damn..

Anyways, steve vai is awesome.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.