what u think about steve vai?

Rooz
Rooz
08/01/2005 4:32 pm
The guy technically is immense. But you gotta have passion. Jimmy Page, Hendrix, Slash and even Dave Gilmore shlt all over Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen and any other what i like to call "wannabe legends."
# 1
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
08/01/2005 8:57 pm
Listen to "For the Love of God" and "Tender Surrender" or "Brandon's Costumes (Gentle Ways)" and tell me that Vai has no passion.

Malmsteen, no passion, but Vai, definitely has passion in his music.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 2
Rooz
Rooz
08/02/2005 11:35 pm
Originally Posted by: Pantallica1Listen to "For the Love of God" and "Tender Surrender" or "Brandon's Costumes (Gentle Ways)" and tell me that Vai has no passion.

Malmsteen, no passion, but Vai, definitely has passion in his music.

Ive heard it all. Absolutely nothing there. Just doesnt push my buttons, im sorry.

When youre playing passionate guitar and feeling it you play what you want and feel the notes. This cud be slow easy stuff (eg Dave gilmore, even John Frusciante!). When people say steve vai i think of this guy trying to play as fast as posible. Of course he can play blues, and put together good sounding solos, but i dont see it! Didnt stop me from learning crossroads tho :rolleyes:
# 3
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
08/03/2005 12:18 am
Originally Posted by: RoozIve heard it all. Absolutely nothing there. Just doesnt push my buttons, im sorry.

When youre playing passionate guitar and feeling it you play what you want and feel the notes. This cud be slow easy stuff (eg Dave gilmore, even John Frusciante!). When people say steve vai i think of this guy trying to play as fast as posible. Of course he can play blues, and put together good sounding solos, but i dont see it! Didnt stop me from learning crossroads tho :rolleyes:

See, we differ there. When I think of Vai, I think of passion. He can play fast, but nowhere near as fast as others (Michael Angelo, Malmsteen, Cooley). I think Vai's style is unique and different. He's willing to go out of the box, try new things, not always stuck in the same diminished arpeggios, or sweeps.

He really opened my eyes to playing, and I think to call him passionless is the wrong wording. But, hey, to each their own.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 4
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
08/03/2005 12:59 am
Originally Posted by: Pantallica1See, we differ there. When I think of Vai, I think of passion. He can play fast, but nowhere near as fast as others (Michael Angelo, Malmsteen, Cooley). I think Vai's style is unique and different. He's willing to go out of the box, try new things, not always stuck in the same diminished arpeggios, or sweeps.

He really opened my eyes to playing, and I think to call him passionless is the wrong wording. But, hey, to each their own.

I love Vai's music above all other's because it's thoroughly tinged with magic. There seems to be something supernatural to his playing that I've never heard another guitarist have. I can't think of any other word but magic...
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.