Gibson Thunderbirds?

Irön Waynö
Irön Waynö
04/24/2001 2:55 am
I've always loved the look of the Thunderbird guitars. But I've noticed not too many pros use them on stage or in the studio. Are they lackluster axes? They run about $1500 so I'd hope they aren't. If you ask me, you throw some Seymour Duncans SH-12s and a Floyd Rose on it, and you'd have a good axe. Of course, I could be wrong.
"When I was just a young boy, I had to take a little grief. Now that I'm much older, don't put your sh*t on me..." - Mötley Crüe
# 1
bluesman36
bluesman36
04/28/2001 12:26 am
Govt Mule's guitarist Warren Haynes uses T-Birds & Firebirds on their latest release, "Life Before Insanity".
One cut in particular, "Bad Little Doggie", Warren uses a Firebird and it kicks ass bigtime. I've seen him live using these guitars and they sound great,close to a LP Deluxe.
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/08/2001 5:06 am
His first three (?) albums were recorded with a Firebird. The sound is distinctive, which is not to say that its particularly good, but it does stand out.

I've only ever played just one, so I can't really generalize.

Played it through an Ampeg VT-22. This amp has a fiercely powerful :eek: clean, sound. The special charm of this particular amp is that it can give you back exactly the sound of your guitar, every nuance intact (but hellaciosly loud) :eek: :D if you keep it turned down below the level where the output stage starts to distort. This amp has been pressed into service for keyboards and even vocals.... I had a point to make here somewheres... Oh, yeah, the Gibson Firebird!

It sounds... thin :confused: ?? The 'southpaw' headstock allows the unusual length of high-pitched strings between the nut and the tuning pegs to contribute some phantom weirdness. This may have been Gibson's attempt to give their customers 'a taste of Hendrix', but without distorton, the sound is unsatisfying.

It may be instructive to note that Johnny Winter used serious amounts of overdrive in his sound. I don't know what kind of amplifier he used with the 'bird, but it sounds like a Fender with the front end saturated by a pedal. Maybe a Mesa-Boogie?

It didn't inspire me, but then I base my assessment of a guitar on what it sounds like [u]before[/u] I load in distotion or FX. If you decide to get a 'bird, I recommend you approach it as only one element in the total system. After all, those early JW tracks still kick azz! :D :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.