Scales

x0o_BurnOut_o0x
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
06/15/2005 1:34 am
Alright, it seems i have either forgotten or never learned any of the scales other than the CDEFGAB. Im working on my own chord progressions and testing the chords in differnt places on the neck. And for this I would like to be able to remember more than just the Cmaj. scale. Please help me out.
We've been dancin' with Mr. Brownstone...
# 1
bunmiadefisayo
bunmiadefisayo
06/15/2005 2:33 am
Hmm...i used to think learning scales was like driving; you never really forget. When you were learning the scaels, were you learning specific patterns? This is the way most ppl learn scales on guitar.

The guitar makes scale learning easier than piano since there are usually patterns to the different kinds of scales. go to the Homepage and click on the scales link. You should get all your infor there, goodness knows this is the site that helped me get my scales down tight.
# 2
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
06/15/2005 5:15 pm
No, its not single note scales im talking about. Ugh, im not rele sure what to call them but theres the C major scale and for chord progressions you can take out like the I-III-V-I. But the preblem is I can only remember the Cmaj. scale. Like I searched it and some one was using the Am scale instead so I in the Am scale chord progression was Am instead of C. If that makes any sense... but I wanna know as many of the scales for use in chord progressions as possible.
# 3
Portis_26
Portis_26
06/15/2005 9:57 pm
i always thought you just had the shape of the scale and just changed the root note for a different scale, like Cmaj starts on the 8th fret and Bmaj would start on hte 7th fret. so i would think Am would just be a minor scale starting on the 5th fret. the Am scale would be (starting on the low e string) 5-7-8 5-7-8 5-7 4-5-6 5-6-8 5-7-8. so for the Am scale a I-III-V-I chord progression would be A C E A i think. i dont know exactly, so this was probably a useless post but you can try it out and see how it sounds cause i may be right.
# 4
bunmiadefisayo
bunmiadefisayo
06/15/2005 10:15 pm
Originally Posted by: x0o_BurnOut_o0xNo, its not single note scales im talking about. Ugh, im not rele sure what to call them but theres the C major scale and for chord progressions you can take out like the I-III-V-I. But the preblem is I can only remember the Cmaj. scale. Like I searched it and some one was using the Am scale instead so I in the Am scale chord progression was Am instead of C. If that makes any sense... but I wanna know as many of the scales for use in chord progressions as possible.

Oh i think i understand what you mean. You are asking for the chords of the scales right?

Well why dont you do this. Learn the notes of the scales then the chords that go with each not. For instance in the Aminor scale, the I= Amin, II= Bdim III= Cmaj and so on and so forth.

The best thing is to jsut learn the names of the notes in whatever scale you are using and how to build the chords from that. I hope i understood correctly, It just looks like you need to brush up on your music theory.

All the best man (wait, this isnt an email :D)
# 5
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
06/16/2005 3:12 am
Originally Posted by: bunmiadefisayo

Well why dont you do this. Learn the notes of the scales then the chords that go with each not. For instance in the Aminor scale, the I= Amin, II= Bdim III= Cmaj and so on and so forth.

That is what the purpose of this thread was, to learn the chords of the differnt scales besides Cmaj.
# 6
bunmiadefisayo
bunmiadefisayo
06/16/2005 3:50 am
Originally Posted by: x0o_BurnOut_o0xThat is what the purpose of this thread was, to learn the chords of the differnt scales besides Cmaj.

OK cool. So now that we know what you want, lets go about figuring out how to get the chords you want to use.

Go to this really cool website http://www.theorylessons.com/beginner.html This should explain all you need to know.
# 7
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
06/17/2005 3:34 pm
Yeah I have been there and read all of that but it still doesnt tell me what i need. Does anyone know the circle of fifths? If you have u know they use certain scales and tell u how many sharps or flats are in that scale. The Cmaj. scale happens to have no sharps or flats- CDEFGAB. What are some scales like this one?
# 8
bunmiadefisayo
bunmiadefisayo
06/17/2005 7:58 pm
OOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You want to know the circle of fifths eh? Well that is really simple;

Cmaj- CDEFGABC, then count 5 steps upward from C to get to Gmaj- GABCDEF#G, then count another 5 steps up from G to get D-maj= DEF#GABC#D and so on and so forth. Just remember to count 5 steps up from teh root.

Another way to look at it is that every major scale has the pattern WWHWWWH
where W= whole step and H=half step. So Cmaj is this;

C...D...E...F...G...A...B...C
W W H W W W H

Using this formula, you can build a major scale from any note that you want.
I'll give you the root names of the first 5 keys in the circle of fifths and the number of sharps and flats that they have. Figure out the notes in each case.

C= no sharps/flats
G=1 sharp, F#
D= 2 sharps, F# and C#
A= 3 sharps, C#, F# and G#
E= $ sharps, F#, C#, G#, D#

If you still dont understand then google "circle of fifths" and you shoudl get what you want.
# 9
isekerx
isekerx
06/19/2005 2:34 pm
hey!!
you should take a look http://www.MyGuitarWorkshop.com
I am sure it will help !!!
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.