Teaching over the summer

The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/15/2005 1:25 am
Hello guys, I know it's been quite awhile since I've put up a post here on GT, but I got a question, and I know you folks never let me down....

... for the most part.

Anyway, I've come to the point in my guitar career where I would finally like to start teaching guitar lessons. I already basically give free ones to my comrades, my teacher has said to me to start teaching, because you in turn learn a lot, and of course I need money. Of course, I could go out and get a job, like I did last summer, but I ended up practically killing myself. But the purpose of this thread is not to complain about local jobs.

-Moving On-

I went to my local music shop, and he listened to me, and said that he would definitely hire me as a teacher (well not definitely, but he basically said, "ya you can teach..."). But then I ran into a dilemna. I can only be at home during the weekdays, I go up to my vacation house in New Hampshire on weekends, and the times when I can be home my dad will be working, and I won't have any way to get to the shop to teach. I'm only fifteen, can't drive, and live in a small town in MA.

So my parents suggested that I put up ads in New Hampshire, and teach there on Saturdays and Sundays, from my basement of my vacation house.

I'm fine with this deal but...

- How many students do you think I could get? I am, after all, only 15. These ads would only be on free stuff, like in the classified section here, for example: Winnipesaukee Wep page

- Since I am a beginner teacher, what do you think I should charge to be fair? I already know my policy is that my first lesson would be refundable, that they could ask for their money back, they could have it, and be done if they thought the lessons were bad.

- Anything else?

Thanks guys (and gals),

-The Ace

PS - please don't take my instructor page into account when giving me advice, as it doesn't accurately portray what I can and will do as a guitarist/teacher.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 1
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/18/2005 4:36 pm
Any input whatsoever?
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 2
ren
ren
06/20/2005 9:48 am
Can't comment on the climate in the US for teachers, but for the UK it seems to be a struggle to find enough people to make it pay.

I would suggest going further with the 'first lesson refundable' idea, and make the first one a completely free 'meet and greet'. Gives you a chance to meet the guy and find out where he's at. Unless he's a total beginner I would think it unlikely that you'll actually 'teach' him much in the first session...

The going rate in the UK is £15 - £20 per hour (about $30 - $35 ish I think). Only other thing I can think of is that on weekends in vacation time, people are likely to be busy / away just like you are. People who live near your holiday home might not be there on the weekends! Also, in my mind, a local teacher gives more of a sense of trust - local number on flyers etc... rather than a guy who lives the other side of the country the rest of the time.

Might it be better to sort teaching at this local store during the week, and just stay around there all day? Hopefully you'll get enough lessons to make it worth it and you only have to do the travel once rather than going to people's homes..... just a thought. You'd still have the weekends free for your plan as well...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/20/2005 10:38 am
Not sure about a solution in your case, but some advice I can think of for new teachers is make sure you have a clear cancellation policy upfront.
One thing you get a lot of when you've got a bunch of students is cancellations at the last minute. Which basically means you've got to sit around for an hour earning no money. Make sure they pay you for a full month ahead of time and get it in writing for them to notify you at least 24 hours in advance of cancellations.
Unfortunately, you may have a bit of a problem with your timing. Summer isn't the best time of year to start a guitar teaching business. Most students consider summer to be 'vacation' time.
You'll actually get most of your sign-ups for kids wanting to start lessons in September when they go back to school. Hence the reason why all the music stores start advertising lessons in August.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.