newbie questions, help!

irace
irace
06/08/2005 6:16 am
I have a Dell Laptop, not the best for recording, I know, but I can't afford a different computer right now. Since running a line to my mic-in from my amp (or my Digitech RP200) gives a ****ty sound, I figure I need to go to something other than a mic-in. But since that's the only input I have, since it's a laptop, I figure I need to go through USB.

Now, I thought I should get a USB connected sound card (if these even exist), since my laptop sound card probably isn't too good... and then I would be able to plug into this.

But then I saw people talking about 'USB Audio Interfaces'... like this MBox and the E-MU 1820 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/s=computer/search/detail/base_pid/240469/). Is it a better idea to get one of these to plug my instruments into, instead of a USB sound card? Or would I need both?

If I got an 'audio interface', I'd be able to have multiple instruments (guitar ce and keyboard mainly) plugged in at once... I don't think I'd be able to do that with just an external sound card, but I know sound cards are important, which makes me think that an audio interface isn't simply enough to give me quality sound. Opinions?

If I just got an external sound card, and connected a mixer to it... would that be essentially the same as an audio interface, or maybe even a better alternative? I think getting a mixer is important, but If I had this audio interface, I don't really see the need.

So, if anyone actually read my rambling, I guess what I'm asking is...

what's the difference between and what are the advantage/disadvantages of each:

Instruments -> USB Audio Interface -> Laptop
Instruments -> Mixer -> USB Sound Card -> Laptop

Or, if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd really appreciate them. As you can see, I'm just basically trying to get an inexpensive decent sounding multi track recording.
# 1
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
06/19/2005 7:11 pm
I use cakewalk guitar tracks studio with a digitech artist and I get the same problem, I aslo use a Cry baby Wah and there is always a Hiss or a Hum
Someone told me over a Beer that recording Rocky sounds on Digital was a NO NO !
HELP - anybody out there ?
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/19/2005 8:46 pm
Wish I could help, but the concept of having to buy a soundcard or USB something or other just to record ... I kinda sit here and go "huh?"
Even though I actually bought one, Windows PC's still baffle me.

Don't Windows computers come with a sound card already built in?
And isn't there an audio line input on the back?

You plug your guitar, mic and keyboard into a 4 track mixer.
Plug the mixer into the Audio Line-in on the back of the computer.
Select 'line input' and 'sound thru' in your recording software or Sound Control Panel and start recording.
Take the stereo line out from the computer to your stereo system to monitor yourself while recording and for playing back your tracks.

My 8 year old Mac computer can record 128 tracks in 24bit stereo.. no sound card, no usb and no additional expenses except a few rca to 1/4" adapters.
I'm kinda puzzled that a newer Windows computer can't do the same thing.
# 3
Superhuman
Superhuman
06/20/2005 9:45 am
I use an audio interface and it works really well. They are not cheap but if you search Ebay you should get a good deal. Here's what I use:

Tascam US428 - it interface with Cubase (SX and VST), so you can rewind, forward, use the jog wheel, faders, EQ etc directly without having to mess around with the mouse.

You can jack your guitar lead directly into the Tascam which then goes via USB into your laptop/pc. The US428 acts as an external soundcard too so there are no latency issues (unless your laptop has a very very slow processor).

Check it out at www.tascam.com
Good luck
# 4
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
06/21/2005 11:32 pm
I've written down the equipment mentioned and will investigate.
Many Thanks
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/22/2005 12:47 am
All you need is the usb audio interface and some sort of recording software.

Plugging a line level output into an input that requires a LowZ (mic level) input will sound horrible.

Using digital recording to do rock guitars is not a no no. I do it all the time.

Not all PC come with built in sound cards and those that do will have crappy converters / pres.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 6
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/22/2005 1:09 am
> Not all PC come with built in sound cards and those that do will have
> crappy converters / pres.

ah.. that explains it...ya learn somethin new...
sorry but it still kinda blows me away that a 1997 Mac can run 128 audio channels in 24 bit audio but right out of the box, but a brand new PC can't do the same thing without buying extra equipment.
That explains why people on this forum are having such a hard time figuring out how to record all the time.
# 7
Ironbird85
Ironbird85
07/13/2005 7:12 pm
get a podxt or go cheap and buy a v amp and get a usb digitech rp200's are pure crap, ive owned 2 neither of which i bought both power supplys went bad and the connect input for the power plug. not to mention the amp settings and sound are horrible.thats just my opinion considering i like what higher end amps have to offer me clarity, seething distortion and talk about presence just palm muting a down stroke makes the walls quiver at 5. find a line 6 dealer and check them out.the drivers and software are all free.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.