View post (newbie questions, help!)

View thread

irace
irace
06/08/2005 6:16 am
I have a Dell Laptop, not the best for recording, I know, but I can't afford a different computer right now. Since running a line to my mic-in from my amp (or my Digitech RP200) gives a ****ty sound, I figure I need to go to something other than a mic-in. But since that's the only input I have, since it's a laptop, I figure I need to go through USB.

Now, I thought I should get a USB connected sound card (if these even exist), since my laptop sound card probably isn't too good... and then I would be able to plug into this.

But then I saw people talking about 'USB Audio Interfaces'... like this MBox and the E-MU 1820 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/s=computer/search/detail/base_pid/240469/). Is it a better idea to get one of these to plug my instruments into, instead of a USB sound card? Or would I need both?

If I got an 'audio interface', I'd be able to have multiple instruments (guitar ce and keyboard mainly) plugged in at once... I don't think I'd be able to do that with just an external sound card, but I know sound cards are important, which makes me think that an audio interface isn't simply enough to give me quality sound. Opinions?

If I just got an external sound card, and connected a mixer to it... would that be essentially the same as an audio interface, or maybe even a better alternative? I think getting a mixer is important, but If I had this audio interface, I don't really see the need.

So, if anyone actually read my rambling, I guess what I'm asking is...

what's the difference between and what are the advantage/disadvantages of each:

Instruments -> USB Audio Interface -> Laptop
Instruments -> Mixer -> USB Sound Card -> Laptop

Or, if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd really appreciate them. As you can see, I'm just basically trying to get an inexpensive decent sounding multi track recording.