ok huge problem, need help

TheWizard
TheWizard
06/01/2005 7:35 pm
so I just finished recording and mixing a bunch of songs on my computer useing a really nice microphone and cakewalk guitar studio software

the songs sound great when I play them in cakewalk, but once I export them to wave or realplayer sound they sound lik absolute sh*t and its incredibly frustrating, the tones change, there's tons of clipping and distortion etc.

im really mad about this what can I do? is there a program that eliminates this or anything?
Alas Gandalf lives, Middle Earth is again safe...
# 1
SPL
SPL
06/01/2005 7:44 pm
So, as a multi-track session it sounds fine, but as soon as you make it into a stereo file it sounds bad?

It almost sounds as if all the treatment you do in the multi-track session gets skipped in the mix-down process, thus resulting in a distorted mess.
# 2
TheWizard
TheWizard
06/01/2005 9:21 pm
yea i don't know what the deal is, but i really have to figure something out
# 3
SPL
SPL
06/02/2005 5:34 am
Is there, by any chance, a "export" AND "mix-down" option?
# 4
TheWizard
TheWizard
06/02/2005 6:56 pm
I can't find a mix down option
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/03/2005 4:31 am
Is there an option called "bounce" ?
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 6
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
06/03/2005 8:42 am
Originally Posted by: TheWizardso I just finished recording and mixing a bunch of songs on my computer useing a really nice microphone and cakewalk guitar studio software

the songs sound great when I play them in cakewalk, but once I export them to wave or realplayer sound they sound lik absolute sh*t and its incredibly frustrating, the tones change, there's tons of clipping and distortion etc.

im really mad about this what can I do? is there a program that eliminates this or anything?

other than the bounce options and stuff....is your main stereo bus fader peaking out? if so, you'll probably have to just make a softer mix.

to me, just sounds like you have too hot of a mix and it's clipping when it gets mixed down to the stereo bus (i don't know about cakewalk but if you have something peaking in pro-tools, i know it won't clip the signal while you're doing it but just on playback.)

hope one of us is able to help you out.
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 7
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
06/03/2005 12:56 pm
I agree with tehplatypus. You need to make sure that your master's meter isn't going into the red. It wont be very(if at all) noticable on playback, but once you mix it down as a .wav, you'll hear all the clipping.

Also, if you're using compressor's, make sure you're not going overboard with them. Use effects at a bare minimum. Too much reverb and such can really muddy up a mix, and give it a real "processed" sound to it.

One more thing. Are you panning your guitar's, bass, drums, vocals, etc... so they're not all right on top of each other?

You also might want to take a look at this thread. It has some info on eq'ing your mix, so everything fits into it's own sonic space.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 8
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
06/03/2005 4:07 pm
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaAlso, if you're using compressor's, make sure you're not going overboard with them. Use effects at a bare minimum. Too much reverb and such can really muddy up a mix, and give it a real "processed" sound to it.

word. too much compression used the wrong way will create this weird kind of vacuum-ish pushing and pulling(breathing if you will) with whatever you've compressed...so make sure to use compression sparingly.

reverb is a given.

for eq-ing...yeah...make sure nothing is stepping on anything else's feet.
# 9
gennation
gennation
06/03/2005 4:35 pm
Also in the digital world there is Data Compression to watch out for. I'm not sure of your mixdown process but if your sending it out to a stereo WAV you should be safe, but if you are going to MP3, check the resolution/data compression. For the Internet you want at least 128k before it starts sounding really noticibly bad. The higher the res the better the sound.

Also, make sure you do EVERYTHING as a WAV file, all the way to mixdown. Once you have a WAV of the mixdown, then you can create or convert to MP3 for pasing around the Internet and stuff. But, just make sure your orignal is in WAV.

If you master it, make sure you are mastering the WAV mixdown. THen convert the Mastered WAV to MP3 if needed.
http://lessons.mikedodge.com
http://www.mikedodge.com
# 10
TheWizard
TheWizard
06/07/2005 4:18 am
I was really careful to make sure that the tracks didn't swell too much and clip when I recorded them and I always ended up decreasing the volume anyway

I'll try your guys's suggestions tho thanks
# 11
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
06/07/2005 6:48 am
Originally Posted by: TheWizardI was really careful to make sure that the tracks didn't swell too much and clip when I recorded them and I always ended up decreasing the volume anyway

I'll try your guys's suggestions tho thanks

i wasn't talking about when recording individual tracks...i was talking when you're mixing down to the one stereo track...make sure that one stereo track isn't clipping.......or did i misunderstand what you said there?
# 12
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/07/2005 10:35 am
Different programs will not only meter stuff differently but also have different amounts of head-room. Pull back on the main output faders a bit a bit and you should be OK
# 13
TheWizard
TheWizard
06/17/2005 11:45 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonDifferent programs will not only meter stuff differently but also have different amounts of head-room. Pull back on the main output faders a bit a bit and you should be OK

how do i go about doing that?
# 14
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/18/2005 12:13 am
look for a master fader over your output bus. It will probably be set at unity. Just pull-it back until you get no clipping, or stick a limiter over that bus.

Some programs have like a tab option which is used to group faders so you want to look for not tracks or Midi but busses or output.
# 15
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
06/18/2005 9:09 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonlook for a master fader over your output bus. It will probably be set at unity. Just pull-it back until you get no clipping, or stick a limiter over that bus.

Some programs have like a tab option which is used to group faders so you want to look for not tracks or Midi but busses or output.

if he uses a limiter, he best spend a lot of time working with it...you know, just to make sure there's no breathing or anything because of hitting the limiter too hard.

might just be easier if he just pulls back on the master. afterall, you can always gain up your mixdown later or if you really want*, take that mixdown and get it professionally mastered.

*i know it's not in every case and probably not in this one but since the option is there, i'll go forward with putting it out there...afterall, best to consider everything, right?
# 16
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
06/18/2005 10:15 pm
Hi I've been using cakewalk for about two years - I was getting terrific distortion problems when recording the through the dirty channel of my Marshall vavestate - through the line out - in to the computer.

I recenly tried recording from my guitar through a couple of jack sockets straight in to the computer ( leaving out the amp ) - there is ample power generated in the pick ups for the studio to record - in fact I have to turn the Guitar volumes down.

You could check to see if the playback is red lining the meters or the wave pattern (visual ) on the edit screen is too wide...................Curious?

Cakewalk likes low volumes. I put the distortion on afterwards within the Studio effects - Amp simulation
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 17
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/18/2005 11:12 pm
Or you could turn the pre-amp in the sound card / interface down a bit !!
# 18
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/18/2005 11:15 pm
Originally Posted by: tehplatypusif he uses a limiter, he best spend a lot of time working with it...you know, just to make sure there's no breathing or anything because of hitting the limiter too hard.

Well if you don't know how to use a limiter Id suggest not using one..however they are not exactly hard to understand !!

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=8572
# 19
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
06/19/2005 9:34 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonWell if you don't know how to use a limiter Id suggest not using one..however they are not exactly hard to understand !!

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=8572

they aren't hard to understand...but they do take a while to get right and takes a lot of tweaking and careful listening....but i'm kinda OCD when it comes to recording stuff.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.