EPI LPs -- Finally?

oracleguy
oracleguy
05/27/2005 12:32 am
Pricing information
Model, Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Plus
This guitar cost me 600.00 with all taxes thrown in as well. The list is in the 1,000 range but that’s store/Epiphone’s marketing for you.

Pros
This guitar is built like a rock. There is not a single mechanical flaw anywhere that I could find. It holds true to pitch unlike any other axe I own. After 3 hrs of “experimenting” not a single string was off by more than a dime. The fit and finish is again, flawless. The neck is satin underneath, and plays well even when in a sweat. Grover tuning machines, I’m guessing about 12-14:1. The electrical, again, perfect. Soldering was perfect, even the flux had been removed. All pots and the pickup switch noiseless. The jack grabs like a fist. The factory action is low, fast and buzz-acceptable.

Cons
I’ll replace the pickups for sure. A bit “thin” on sound but not offensive. The P/Us are also fairly non-linear. Certain notes are in-u-face while others are more muted. A couple of the frets were a bit sharp on the edge but Mr. fret file has taken care of that already.
Biggest con is the weight of the beast! Solid Mahogany means solid!

Review
I was looking for a blues-only guitar. Something I can set some heavy strings into (my favs are #11 Markley Cryros). I looked at 10-15 instruments over a week or so. Made a list, played them all and for the money, this guy won out.

It plays with ease, but then again, I’m used to heavy strung Strats. and bluegrass acoustics. (Read ape fingers!). I found the quality, tone, setup, and feel of the guitar to be a bargain at what I paid for it. Yes, I did play some “real” LP’s and yes, I liked the sound better, but the feel, at least at my level of playing was not worth 1-2 K more!

I want to stress the total quality of this puppy. I really feel that I’ve got something that I can build on here. P/Us, nut, bridge, tail-piece. I’ve no fear of making 3rd party investments on this frame it’s that solid and well made.

**Note that the EPI LPs varied greatly in price and I’m guessing quality as well. I picked up one unit that had to have weighed 5lbs less!

Summary
Unbelievably well built. The Koreans have made great quality strides in their products overall. Cars, boats, electronics, etc. There’s no comparison to the stuff they used to ship. And let’s not forget that and EPI is a Gibson company. A Korean Gibson, but a Gibson nonetheless. Other than the pickups (can any one make a recommendation???)
I really like this axe. I know that EPIs LPs have had a mixed reception, but if the Koreans keep building units like this, well, maybe even the Doc might have a second look!

PS. I wish the attachments could be a bit bigger.
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/27/2005 12:53 am
Nice review dude, I have no beef with Korean made stuff, lord knows I have have enough !!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
05/27/2005 1:20 pm
That was a great review!

That is one gorgeous looking axe my man. I love the wine red color. Is that particular model all mahogany or does it have the alder core and mahogany laminate like some of the other Epi models?

As for buying Korean... I have no problem with it whatsoever. If I like the guitar, and it play's and sounds good enough, then I will get it no matter the brand or where it was made. I purchased a Schecter C1 Blackjack a while back that I believe is Korean made, and it is an excelant guitar.

Enjoy your new guitar dude, and keep us posted if you do any mods to it.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
05/27/2005 1:32 pm
For as long as I've been playing I've been a Strat-only kind of guy... However I've recently been looking hard at getting a Les Paul. Since Gibson out-prices itself on it's higher end models I was considering getting an Epi. The review you supplied was top notch, and I thank you. It might have been the lone shove that I needed to dive into the world of Les Pauls... I'm thinking about either a Black Beauty, Joe Perry (love the finish), or a Custom. I also looked at the SG-400 Customs... Anyway! Nice review, it will be helpful to many others as well as me, I'm sure.
# 4
oracleguy
oracleguy
05/27/2005 2:41 pm
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaThat was a great review!

That is one gorgeous looking axe my man. I love the wine red color. Is that particular model all mahogany or does it have the alder core and mahogany laminate like some of the other Epi models?

As for buying Korean... I have no problem with it whatsoever. If I like the guitar, and it play's and sounds good enough, then I will get it no matter the brand or where it was made. I purchased a Schecter C1 Blackjack a while back that I believe is Korean made, and it is an excelant guitar.

Enjoy your new guitar dude, and keep us posted if you do any mods to it.

Thanks! It's mahogany/alder. Too bad the pic. wasn't bigger -- there are awesome tiger-stripes running across the top that don't really show up. The neck is solid mahogany.
# 5
Dark13
Dark13
05/27/2005 5:07 pm
Epi's are cheap, finish, sustain, pickups, are cheap, and they sound that way too. But Epiphone does a great job luring people in as they ARE pretty and we all wish they were Gibson LPs, but guess what? You get what you pay for, no way does these sound even close to a real LP.

Personally I think Gibson LPs are also overpriced, 2-3k? get a PRS.

OR for $600, I prefer ESP LPs and Vipers, better wood, hardware, price and sound.

And I do believe it's important to buy ESP, as not only are they a better value, more modern, more choices, but they are Made in USA, not in a Korean sweat shop.
FONT]=Dark13=
# 6
oracleguy
oracleguy
06/07/2005 6:57 am
Originally Posted by: Dark13Epi's are cheap, finish, sustain, pickups, are cheap, and they sound that way too. But Epiphone does a great job luring people in as they ARE pretty and we all wish they were Gibson LPs, but guess what? You get what you pay for, no way does these sound even close to a real LP.

Personally I think Gibson LPs are also overpriced, 2-3k? get a PRS.

OR for $600, I prefer ESP LPs and Vipers, better wood, hardware, price and sound.

And I do believe it's important to buy ESP, as not only are they a better value, more modern, more choices, but they are Made in USA, not in a Korean sweat shop.

First, your notion of a Korean Sweat-shop is so out moded that maybe I should have specified South-Korea.

Sorry that you disagree about my observations. I just went over my axe for the ump-teenth time and you are wrong. This instrument is mechanically flawless. I'm putting 2 Dimarzio's in it ASAP, but other that that, I'm a happy camper -- as was Guitar World Mag. Sept '04/.

I luv this new axe, but you'll have to pry my old D-28 from my cold, dead, fingers!
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.