Hey guys, haven't been here in a while.

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
05/21/2005 5:07 pm
Hey guys, haven't been here in a while. What's new? Here are some updates as to what's going on with me.

Pony, I read your blog; I thought it was a beautiful stream-of-consciousness rage, and am looking forward to new posts in the blog. A good read, a VERY good read.

Do any of you guys play a Chapman Stick, or a Megatar, or a Warr Guitar, or a tapping instrument of any kind (other than a 6-string)? I'm thinking about buying one and playing classical and jazz music on it. $3000 for the top of the line 12-string though, I'm not too excited about dishing that out, but the urge to play something like Claire De Lune (Debussy) which is unplayable on one classical guitar, is pretty strong. Chances are though, I won't get one because I'm going to college for Jazz Guitar Performance, and won't have time to become a virtuoso on the Stick as well as guitar.

I recently saw a video on the Gibson Digital Les Paul guitar, and was NOT happy with it. I was looking forward to great things coming of it, but the guitar sounded very stale in the video I saw (it was actually on TV, a little infomercial type deal). Now when this idea first came out, I thought "Yes! I can have a different speaker for each string!" and therefore tailor each speaker to the frequency range of the string, which theoretically still can be done, but everything that was played on the video sounded like ****. I was dissapointed.

I'm narrowing down my college choices, and I'm down to about four right now, with a few others that are on the outside lineup of my choices. I'm still a Junior in high school, so I have some time to make the choices, but here they are.
-New England Conservatory
-Chicago College of Performing Arts (Roosevelt University)
-North Texas University
-University of the Arts

Now, NEC has guys that perform there and all that, and teach master classes (like Dave Holland is there now), but University of the Arts has Michael Kennedy, Pat Mercuri, Pat Martino, Jimmy Bruno. I'd go to Roosevelt becuase Chicago has a roaring scene and I live not TOO far from it, and I'm in a modern-jazz trio with a drummer that is going to be going to school down there. And North Texas University is one of the best for jazz in the country.
I'll be in college for six years, going through my masters degree, unless I can bust my ass and get it done in five, which can be done usually. I'm hoping the scholarships will be coming in (and they will) and I won't be in TOO much debt after 5-6 years. I'm guessing I'll be in debt about $45,000. Not too bad.

There are some Diablo 2 fiends on this board, and now I know why. The game is incredibly addictive. I'm borrowing a friend's copy, and I had to uninstall it because all I could think about was Diablo II. Crazy!

Well I'll get back to you guys again sometime, looks like you're keeping the place nice and tidy, and as thriving as ever. I'm glad to see that. I might be around the boards this weekend a little bit, we'll see. Take it easy.

~Incidents
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/21/2005 6:28 pm
[font=trebuchet ms]Speaking of keeping things tidy, I split this off as a new thread.

Touch base with Azrael. He has a 10-string Chapman Stick.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/21/2005 8:23 pm
Funny you mention diablo, I was toggling the idea of hashing it out since I've got the internet up and running at home now. What's your name, maybe I'll spot you there if I get on.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/22/2005 12:08 am
Hey Incidents great to hear from you
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
05/22/2005 4:40 pm
Pony, there are a few books you should check out if you're getting into classical/flamenco. Pumping Nylon is considered the "classical guitar technique bible", and will help immensely. I'm going through this other book called 100 Graded Classical Guitar Studies by Frederick Noad, that will teach you Sor's studies, some Guiliani, and a few other composers works. It also helps if you can read music and sight-read. I can read music, but my sight-reading ability is still ****ty; I've been working on it for two hours a day for a while though, and I can see huge improvements already. That's the important thing, really. If you can sight-read all the music given to you instead of try to figure out which note is which, you'll be able to focus on improving the articulations in the piece.
If you're into jazz at all, check out Jamey Aebersold's Play-A-Long series ( www.aebersold.com ), those cds are worth their weight in gold, let me tell you.

Anybody here check out E3? I missed it, but I heard that all of the systems are going to kick ass (Playstation 3, Xbox360, Nintendo Revolution). I just read this story that they are re-making Final Fantasy 7 for Playstation 3. Sweeeeet!

~Incidents
# 5
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/22/2005 4:56 pm
Originally Posted by: Incidents HappenI just read this story that they are re-making Final Fantasy 7 for Playstation 3. Sweeeeet!

Is that official? I've heard that for a while now but I've never seen any official statement declaring it to be so, so I'm hesitant, but if they do then rock on.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 6
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
05/23/2005 12:16 am
Word.

You reminded me I have to listen to Debussy's La Mer one more time before my IB exam tomorrow. Bah been listening to that piece all year. Its absolute genius (just like debussy) but after listening to anything to many times it gets old (except for Green Day's "Brain Stew"imo (I'm sure everyone has there own little dumb exceptions to that rule).

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.