Prs Modern Eagle

Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/16/2005 7:50 pm
I need to make a big,big big decision, I am a South African living in London, my plan has always been to buy a couple of guitars when I am out here.
But now I have stumbled upon a huge conflict...should I get a few guitars(a Prs Custom22,maybe a Godin Lgxsa, and maybe another if I can afford it) or should I just go for one awesome PRS, the Modern Eagle?...it has a Brazilian Rosewood neck, which is just amazing...it also features the new modern eagle headstock inlay, which is very similar to the private stock inlay...basically, it is quite possibly the nicest guitar I have ever played.
I could still get a Custom22 and another axe, maybe 2, but I dont think I will ever be able to afford a Modern Eagle again, but possibly the other guitars.(I have managed to buy a Gibson Les Paul in the past, but that was with ****loads of hard work and very few expenses, as I was 17, I am now almost 19, and will probably have to pay for a lot more stuff when I am earning again in South Africa, it also takes alot longer in South Africa to earn the kind of money needed to buy highend guitars.

what you guys think?
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
05/16/2005 8:27 pm
I've got a Custom 22 and love it to bit's! I personally couldn't justify paying that much for a guitar, that I actually plan on playing anywhere other than at home.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/16/2005 9:31 pm
I think the really hi end (Dragon II etc) PRSs are collectors pieces and really not meant for work-a-day use. Im not into collecting guitars so Id pass it buy. I do own a PRS CE24 and like Eric, I absolutely love it and it gets played just about every day. It sits next to a Jackson DKMG, a couple of very nice strats and a 60s RI LP and easily holds its own.

However, if you like the way the axe feels and sounds and can't get the same for less cash then go for it.

Did I remember to say, PRS really do make very nice axes !!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/16/2005 10:30 pm
I am thinking hard about it and I think you guys are right...I dont know if I can justify spending that amount on a guitar.I mean, the rosewood neck is amazing, but is it 4000pounds more amazing than the mahogany neck on a Custom or standard?
I think it would be nice to own one one day, I plan to collect guitars, and currently own 6, but I think I would probably be better suited buying a Custom 22, which is absolutely awesome...I will sit and try all out and make a decision, but I dont think I can justify the price difference...,I also would want to use it for gigs and stuff(how could I own summin that beautiful and not show it off?) okay, well maybe she would stay home, and not gig that often, but still occasionally...I dont know, maybe I should just think this through a bit more...still really excited at the prospect of buying one of these beauties.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 4
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
05/17/2005 1:33 am
Make sure that you play the Custom 22 through something similar to your own rig if you can, because they can be muddy on some rigs. If it seems to be a bit muddy, or not quite as tight as you'd like, either look into the Custom 24 or one of the CE models with the Maple neck which should brighten and tighten things up a bit more than the mahogany neck. But mainly, just get what ever feels the best. You can alway's put different pick ups in it later. The Custom 22 is defanately a very versatile guitar stock though.

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 5
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/17/2005 6:51 am
I see your point on the pickups, but I dunno if I would go with that tho.
You see, my logic is that if I pay so much for a guitar, I want it to be exactly as I want it...so I might not even buy a guitar of that quality if I cant find one with pickups I like.
we'll see, just not gonna part with my cash till I know for sure what I want.
# 6
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
05/17/2005 12:19 pm
I'm defanately not saying you'll have to change the pickups or anything. I'm just saying that the PRS sound isn't for everybody. I wasn't trying to discourage you either, just trying to make sure you make an educated decision before parting with you cash (which you've already proved you are going to do). I would suggest trying them all before deciding. The CE 22/24, Custom 22/24, and the McCarty's all have something different to offer. I personally want one of each, also adding the Swamp Ash Special, and the HBII :D . Hey, a guy can dream can't he :rolleyes:

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 7
aschleman
aschleman
05/17/2005 2:34 pm
If you're looking at dropping that much change on a guitar you should look into getting a custom-shop guitar made. ESP, Jackson, Fender, and Carvin all have great custom shops. You can get a guitar made pretty much any way you want with any pickups, wiring, shape, or finish... You can get custom inlays as well... PRS's are badass axes.... I would definitely get one if I didn't have so much other stuff that I have to pay for. I would probably try to find a single-cut model though... becuase they're going to be pretty rare and the value of them would go up more than a double-cut model.... Either way... you will certainly go back to South Africa with a sweet axe!!!
# 8
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/17/2005 7:20 pm
Yeah, I am looking into that aswell, perhaps gonna look into a guitar made by Nathan Sheppard. Which'll be nice. I am not sure how many nice guitars I will be able to take home. I just got a job in a guitar store, which is awesome, I love the job so much, but the pay is pretty terrible, also, as the pay is crap, all the other sales demonstrators hate their jobs, and dont want that to rub off on me, so I think I may actually quit, if I stay, I will probably be limited to one nice guitar to take home(if it is the Nathan Sheppard, I dont even benefit from staff discount). I really dont wanna not like the job, cause it is an awesome job,so I think I'll quit before I get tainted...what do you guys think I should so?
I could quite easily get a job with better pay, that would probably make it easier to buy gear(even without a discount), so what you guys reckon? atleast I got the cash for one guitar almost saved.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.