My nails just wont grow

bunmiadefisayo
bunmiadefisayo
05/02/2005 3:52 pm
Hi all, i have just come acrossa very pvexing problem...my nails refuse to grow past my fingertips no matter how long i have tried not to cut them. I want to get into classical guitar playing but i was told (by a friend) that i needed long nails. He plays classical guitar and has long nails suitable for playing.

How on earth can i get past this problem, if it is indeed a problem?
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/02/2005 6:47 pm
Fake nails is about the only thing I can think of. I'm sure other classical guitarists come across the same problem so do a Google search and see if there's anything specific made to do the job.
They don't have to be very long, just long enough to extend past your fingertip. Sand them down to shape with some fine sandpaper.
The only other alternative I can think of is fingerpicks..although I tried them once and they were too awkward.
# 2
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/02/2005 7:11 pm
I personally don't use my finger nails. I keep them cut, namely because I find that having long nails hinders my tapping... that and I can't stop chewing them off dammit. Anywho, I keep mine short, but I'd imagine that your nails are growing whether you notice it or not. It's like your hair, it just seems to suddenly get longer and longer and you've no recollection when that happened. File them down every so often and keep them well groomed and they should grow, but don't hold a guy who knaws his finger nails off to anything he says.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 3
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/03/2005 4:19 pm
First of all, how long have you been trying to grow them?
Maybe you haven't tried long enough, it can take a long while.

Fingerpicks are awkward at first, as are long nails.
With training they can become second nature.
Alot of banjoplayers use them and it's really amazing to see them play.

I would however suggest that you make the best of what you have.
Many classical guitarplayers prefer having their nails fairly short.
Segovia always trimmed them so they were no longer than the tips of his fingers.
# 4
bunmiadefisayo
bunmiadefisayo
05/03/2005 5:55 pm
Thanks guys for all the feedback and help. I havent been growing them very long actually, :D. I wouldnt be bothered about the bloody nails if classical guitar players didnt keep stressing about how important they are. I'll try fingerpicks, i'm just guessing i would have the same problems as when i first started learning to use a pick but now i cant for the life of me figure out how i cld never have used a pick.
# 5
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
05/03/2005 8:05 pm
I might like the sound of a nail versus fingertip, but personally I can't stand having my nails long like that. They get dirty, get caught on things and bend backwards (ouch), and look like crap. If I could stand it, I might try growin em out, but I'll stick with just my tips...it's not as bright, but it works.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 6
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/03/2005 8:56 pm
Originally Posted by: bunmiadefisayoThanks guys for all the feedback and help. I havent been growing them very long actually, :D. I wouldnt be bothered about the bloody nails if classical guitar players didnt keep stressing about how important they are. I'll try fingerpicks, i'm just guessing i would have the same problems as when i first started learning to use a pick but now i cant for the life of me figure out how i cld never have used a pick.

"A lot" of classical players also stress not to use your pinky when you play, but when I mentioned that here I was bombarded with people saying they use their pinky and that they'd never heard of not using the pinky. Fingernails are more of a sound-quality want so much as a need. They'll get you a sharper tone but you don't have to have the nails if you don't want.

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 7
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/03/2005 8:57 pm
Originally Posted by: bunmiadefisayoThanks guys for all the feedback and help. I havent been growing them very long actually, :D. I wouldnt be bothered about the bloody nails if classical guitar players didnt keep stressing about how important they are. I'll try fingerpicks, i'm just guessing i would have the same problems as when i first started learning to use a pick but now i cant for the life of me figure out how i cld never have used a pick.

"A lot" of classical players also stress not to use your pinky when you play, but when I mentioned that here I was bombarded with people saying they use their pinky and that they'd never heard of not using the pinky. Fingernails are more of a sound-quality want so much as a need. They'll get you a sharper tone but you don't have to have the nails if you don't want. I don't have fingernails or use finger picks and I think I do just fine. Just go with where you want. No direction is a wrong direction to be honest.

Hulk Smash!!

# 8
noxx
noxx
05/06/2005 2:56 am
drink milk often? actually any source of calcium works. and marijuana enhances nails and hair.
# 9
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
05/06/2005 3:01 am
Originally Posted by: noxxand marijuana enhances nails and hair.

Hmm...I think it may not be such a good idea to encourage illegal activity...
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 10
kingdavid
kingdavid
05/06/2005 8:25 am
My problem is that my nails don't grow straight, they always bend and start to wrap themselves around the fingertip. I'v even tried to have them filed by a proffesonal manicurist, but they still bend inwards. I thought there's a technique salons use to file nails and keep them straight, but it aint working. Any clues?
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.