Problem with the bridge

lateralis
lateralis
04/25/2005 4:05 am
First and foremost I would like to thank guitarist101 and Dr. Simon for helping me with the restringing process. I would of had a lot more trouble with it without your guidance. Anyways, I have an issue with my guitar dealing with the bridge. The two strings that I was able to get on I noticed the bridges were in place and did not move at all. However the other four bridges I was unable to put the strings on because they kept popping and the string would make such a huge arch that it was impossible to put it in it's correct positioning. I noticed however when I took out one of the strings that one of the bridges popped up. I started to lightly tap the other three bridges and I noticed they all had the same characteristic. They all seemed to move when I lightly tapped on it as oppose to the other two which didn't move at all. I'm thinking this damage occured when I pursued the drums for awhile and really didn't take good care of my guitar. My question is is this problem fixable without me having to buy a new guitar? Or is this guitar hopeless and the only way to fix it is to buy a new one? Thanks once again. I appreciate all replies.
Walk Away
Untouched
I can't relate, to anyone
I try to be, a humble man, a better son, a better friend
But life gets in the way
# 1
finkployd2112
finkployd2112
04/25/2005 4:54 am
Since I don't the exact problem or the type or bridge that you have I can't say for sure. But, if your bridge is indeed broken then you can simply get that replaced.
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/25/2005 5:57 am
Originally Posted by: lateralisFirst ... The two strings that I was able to get on I noticed the bridges were in place and did not move at all. However the other four bridges I was unable to put the strings on because they kept popping and the string would make such a huge arch that it was impossible to put it in it's correct positioning. ...
[font=trebuchet ms]Your nomenclature is a bit off. The bridge is the entire assembly - the parts the strings rest on are called the saddles.

Having sorted that out, I still don't understand what you mean by "I was unable to put the strings on because they kept popping and the string would make such a huge arch that it was impossible to put it in it's correct positioning"[/font] :confused:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
lateralis
lateralis
04/25/2005 10:37 am
Originally Posted by: finkployd2112Since I don't the exact problem or the type or bridge that you have I can't say for sure. But, if your bridge is indeed broken then you can simply get that replaced.

It's an Ibanez GI0 Electric Model.
Walk Away
Untouched
But life gets in the way
# 4
lateralis
lateralis
04/25/2005 10:42 am
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings[font=trebuchet ms]Your nomenclature is a bit off. The bridge is the entire assembly - the parts the strings rest on are called the saddles.

Having sorted that out, I still don't understand what you mean by "I was unable to put the strings on because they kept popping and the string would make such a huge arch that it was impossible to put it in it's correct positioning"[/font] :confused:

I'd thread the string through the saddle until the ball end clicked into the saddle. Then I wrapped the string around the tuning posts twice before I started to tighten it with the tuning pegs. However, as I tighten it more I was unable to lock the string into it's correct positioning (not sure what they're called but at the end near the tuning posts theres this black thing with marks in it that the strings go into so they're in it's correct position.) The string either popped from the saddle being broken, although I didn't hear it pop or the string was really loose. The string made this huge arch at the end and as you tightened it more it would get bigger. I hope I explained that well enough haha. I was a bit confused myself.
Walk Away
Untouched
But life gets in the way
# 5
guitarist101
GT Instructor
guitarist101
GT Instructor
04/25/2005 7:38 pm
If you keep having trouble, one thing you could do is to take your guitar to a music shop and have them set your guitar up (string, tune, intonate). You maybe able to watch them as they work on your guitar (which may help you when you try to string your guitar up in the future).
# 6
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/25/2005 7:57 pm
can you post a picture of your bridge ?
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 7
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
04/25/2005 8:02 pm
Originally Posted by: lateralisI'd thread the string through the saddle

Through the saddles, well there's you first problem. J/K I know what u mean, before you turn the string around the posts, pull on the string at the pickup end so you know its all the way through, sometimes it might get stuck and it seem like something is wrong. Hold the string there and then use your other hand to wrap the string. That used to happen to me when I first started, hope thats the problem.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/25/2005 10:00 pm
[font=trebuchet ms]From what I can find on the 'net, it looks to me like the strings are supposed to be installed from the back of the guitar. You may have to remove a plastic plate to get at it, but the strings should be pushed up through holes that feed through the saddles from underneath.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9
lateralis
lateralis
04/25/2005 10:47 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simoncan you post a picture of your bridge ?

I'll try to, I think theres a digital camera around here somewhere. Getting it on to the computer maybe a challenge though considering I don't have a scanner. My mom I think may have software for putting pictures on your digital camera on to the computer. I'll see what I can do.
Walk Away
Untouched
But life gets in the way
# 10
lateralis
lateralis
04/26/2005 3:21 am
Ok I just took a picture of it Tonight. It's just a matter of getting the software on here so I can upload it into the computer. I'll have the picture for you within the next day or two Dr.Simon.
Walk Away
Untouched
But life gets in the way
# 11
lateralis
lateralis
04/30/2005 2:32 am
Heres a close up image of my guitar bridge Dr.Simon, I hope this helps. As I said before, the two strings that I did get on there the bridges were in place and did not move at all. The others if you tapped lightly on would move or they would pull up as if they were going to come off. Anyways, thanks for all of your help. I appreciate it.

Image of Guitar Bridge
Walk Away
Untouched
But life gets in the way
# 12
guitarist101
GT Instructor
guitarist101
GT Instructor
04/30/2005 5:31 am
It looks like you'll have to take the back plate off your guitar (big rectangle in the middle) and slide each string into the hole back there. Once you have the string started through the hole, you can pull the string on the front of the guitar (where hte picture is) and continue stringing the guitar up.
# 13
lateralis
lateralis
04/30/2005 3:30 pm
Originally Posted by: guitarist101It looks like you'll have to take the back plate off your guitar (big rectangle in the middle) and slide each string into the hole back there. Once you have the string started through the hole, you can pull the string on the front of the guitar (where hte picture is) and continue stringing the guitar up.

What do I do with the back plates afterwards? Also, to take the back plates off do you have to undo those screws that are connected to it in the picture?
Walk Away
Untouched
But life gets in the way
# 14
lateralis
lateralis
05/01/2005 8:07 pm
BUMP. Guitar Tricks #1.
Walk Away
Untouched
But life gets in the way
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.