Chords and Scales!!!

jk_647
jk_647
04/16/2005 6:49 pm
Hi, im having trouble with tryign to work out what chords you use over scales.
I know you can look it up in a book and it etlls you what chords you can use, but i want to know how to work it out. for exmaple if im using the minor pentatonic what chords i can play over the top, or the other way round if you have a chord how do you knwo which scale you can play over the top of that. This may be a silly question but i can't seem to get my head round it any one that oculd explain, i would be most greatfull. Thanks
Jk
Why doesn't my amp go up to 11, :(
Spinal Tap Rock
# 1
lesismore14
lesismore14
04/17/2005 4:14 pm
there are many chords that you can play with pentatonics. Major, Minor, Major and Minor 7th, 7 #9 (known as the hendrix chord, he usually plays it on the last step of a 12 bar like in E, then to A, then when you get to B he would use the 7 #9), you can also use 9th chords, I usually use the in the A position (in an E 12 bar).
[FONT=palatino linotype]Lesismore[/FONT]
# 2
Hamberg
Hamberg
04/18/2005 3:08 am
First lets assume that your in the key of A minor, and that you are using the A minor pentatonic scale.

Any of the chords in a natural A minor progression can be used to play under the A minor pentatonic scale. Also chords from the C Major scale may also be used since C Major is the relative major of A minor. They both have the exact same chords (C d e F G a b,) but different centers of tonality (for A natural minor its A minor, and for C Major its C Major.) This is the theory for building progressions around a melody to the extent of my knowledge.

When building a melody around a progression in a given key the same rules can apply as stated above. Also ideas can be derived from modes. Unfortunately my knowlegde of modes is to weak to be able to give any useful information.
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 3
equator
equator
04/20/2005 4:52 pm
Chords are built on scales, using the 1st. 3rd, and 5th degrees (that is for the basic triads). So, if you are using a Major Scale in the key of C; you have the fallowing notes: C D E F G A B C

Take the root (C) and build a triad. now you have a C Major chord made out of the C E G notes.

Now take the second degree of the scale (D) and build a triad, the result is a D minor chord, made out of the D F A notes.

The third degree of the scale (E) gives you an E minor chord made out of
(E G B)

The fourth degree gives you a F major
The fifth degree gives you a G Major
The sixth an A minor
The seventh a B minor chord

You can play those chords in any order and use your C major Scale or the relative minor wich is the A minor scale, and you will sound great.

I sugest that you use the Circle of Fifths to constuct your chord progression. Have Fun
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.