GUITARIST Looking for some help PLEASE!

MaxM411
MaxM411
04/13/2005 3:52 am
Hey everyone, well the thing is I have been playing for about 4 years or so on the guitar, and I think im doing pretty good i guess. Im in a heavy metal band along the vein of Iron maiden, judas priest, megadeth etc., I have been working very hard on my chops, i write most of the songs overall...But the thing is I really want to improve my theoretical knowledge, and even though my playing is good from what I am told by others.....well I will admit that I think I am alright because I think every musician should give themselves at least some confidence without a swelled head, but I just know its not enough for me, and overall, I REALLY want to improve my playing....I know we play some more classic heavy metal type stuff, but I also LOVE neoclassical shred like Malmsteen, Steve Vai etc...so the thing Im thinking is, would it be worth it to may be start taking lessons? Seeing as how my theory is limited I know I will probably have to start from a low grade to get all caught up.....and I believe all musicians are ALWAYS learning, i mean no one can master something like music. Its this amazing force.....n e ways aside from my philosophies hehe, im wondering abotu sum input, and even if anyone has any good websites for me to check out or anything else? I am looking into lessons, i also dont have much time for them yet, so i mean even if I could just find sum GREAT online lessons for now, build up sum more speed, accuracy with my picking and my fretting, and overall more fretboard knowledge then that would be great....then i could take sum lessons later.....I am in no way looking for easy solutions or answers because i know there are none, and im glad its like that....but i am looking for a little guidance/perspective on where and how to start improving, because I feel I can only go so far without education, but I want to get as much done as possible, Post a reply AND/OR email me at (maxm411@hotmail.com) you can add me to your MSN list too at the same email...thank you VERY much
"Better to Reign in Hell, than to Serve in Heaven."
# 1
motorbrain3
motorbrain3
04/13/2005 3:14 pm
wholenote.com is a great overall site IMO.

as far as building speed and picking accuracy-do you use a metronome?
that has helped me tons.
there cheap and really get you picking better and faster.

hope this helps
# 2
MaxM411
MaxM411
04/13/2005 9:38 pm
Hey man, thanx a lot,well ya I have seen/used whole note a bit before, its a good site.....in terms of speed and accuracy, ur right, a metronome really will help, i use to use one, but kinda stopped lol, but ya thanks a lot for the suggestions man:)
"Better to Reign in Hell, than to Serve in Heaven."
# 3
konman
konman
04/13/2005 10:11 pm
Take your time and check out the lessons on this site.

I am subsribed to Guitar One magazine. For 12 bucks you get only the mag, for $24 it comes with cd. Lot of information and lessons in all styles. Now I am working on the use of 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths,10s.

I also got this TASCAM cd guitar trainer ($149+$20 for an AC adaptor). It can slow down cd, loop a selected part, has some effects in it. I use it with wireless headphones (too many wires!).

So, at this point I do not feel any need to hire a teacher :cool:
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.