Recording Drums from CDs??

Ruyard
Ruyard
03/29/2005 3:47 am
I have been recording with loops for the drums in Sonar and am having some fun.

However we want to now try and record some of the covers we play and want to know the best way to get the drums.

Is it possible to isolate the drums from a CD and insert it into a project, like how you can take out the voice only in karaokee??

I doubt that but thought I would ask the question. Are there midi tracks of popular songs on the net or drum loops at a website of songs that I can search for, like I was looking up tabs or anything???

Am I beating a dead horse or is it possible to get drum beats for songs without a real drummer??
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/30/2005 9:03 pm
samples, drum machines, and electronic drums are always an option though I think it will be really difficult to lift the drums out of a mastered CD !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Ruyard
Ruyard
03/30/2005 10:25 pm
I didnt think getting it of the CD would be realistic!

Do you know of a website where you can download beats of real songs? (i can find some loops but they are all for original recordings not beats of actual songs)
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/31/2005 12:43 am
Karoake tunes are remakes of just the instrumental tracks by other artists in most cases. If it sounds like the original music then it's either a really well done reproduction, or they went back to the masters and dropped out the vocal tracks.

For drums, about the only way to properly duplicate a song is to do it manually and spend time at it.
Find samples that sound close to the original and put a 'kit' together. Then either build up your own midi track or find one on the net done by a pro.

It takes forever to do it on your own unless you've ton a ton of them and have some experience at it. Besides finding similar samples, you also have to pan them correctly, use the right reverb and room sounds and then subtely put timing errors into the tracks to make it sound like it isn't a machine playing.
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/31/2005 1:15 am
There is also software / hardware like the Alesis called a Vocal Zapper that will strip the vocal tracks out of a CD. Saves having to re-mix stuff.

But Im not sure how useful it would be here !!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/31/2005 2:06 am
Those vocal zapper things aren't very good ... they're mainly for 'fun at parties' kinda stuff.
They work by putting certain frequecies out of phase so that anything dead center in the mix loses volume & cancells itself out. Trouble is, they only work minimally on certain frequencies and the vocal has to be dead center with no reverb. Any other instruments with the same frequecies in the center will also get lowered in volume.
By singing your vocals inline with the same recording, it's hoped that you'll drown out whatever is remaining in the mix.

We used to do a cheap version of this with Lloyds record players years ago when we were learning tunes. You could cross the wires behind the tonearm cartride and it would put the whole thing out of phase. Because the speakers were so small and close together and the sound was so crappy, it sounded like the vocals were being dropped out slightly and you could hear the guitar better.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.