Blues Sound?

ncreb
ncreb
03/29/2005 1:02 am
Hey I got a Peavey Bandit 65 how would I get a bluesy sound without having to get a pedal? :cool:
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/29/2005 2:18 am
keep the gain down and the volume up. Move the Mids, Bass and treble to 12 o clock and then roll off bass and treble to taste. Little bit of verb.

The EQ will depend massively on the guitar and pickup etc however try to get the gain so that notes are just starting to break up.

And then adjust to taste.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
ScottMoney
ScottMoney
03/29/2005 6:49 am
Yea, I like a nice warm, blues sound. Unfortunately I'm forced to practice blues clean until i get a new amp. That is, unless I can stand playing with crappy distortion from my crappy 15W ibanez. I'm getting a vox soon so it's all good. I find I can get it to sound best when i have the gain low and the bass higher than the trebble/mids. In a few months I'll get a Tele instead of my Epip, and gettin some real twang :p I can't wait. The more I play my Epip, the more I can't stand humbuckers. Can't wait for some single-coil pickups...
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/30/2005 9:01 pm
Hey Scott you know it maybe possible to split your humbuckers into two single coils. Im sure someone like Lordathestrings would be able to help.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4
ncreb
ncreb
03/30/2005 10:38 pm
Thanks Dr. Simon
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/31/2005 3:02 am
Originally Posted by: ScottMoney.... Can't wait for some single-coil pickups...
[font=trebuchet ms]No worries, mate! If oyu know how to solder, and you're delicate about it, you can rework your 'buckers.

If your pickups have four wires coming out of them, it's dead easy to wire both coils in parallel. This gives close to a single-coil sound while keeping the hum-rejection feature. If you insist on single coils, and there are only two wires coming out of your pickups, you will need to do some surgery.

Find the splice where the two coils are joined together, and [u]very carefully[/u] uncover that connection. You need to connect this joint to one of the other wires, which will short out one of the coils. Tape the solder joints up and put everything back in place. Voila![/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
ScottMoney
ScottMoney
04/03/2005 5:09 am
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings[font=trebuchet ms]No worries, mate! If oyu know how to solder, and you're delicate about it, you can rework your 'buckers.[/font]

man, I really appreciate your post, but I just do not feel up to the task of customizing my guitar :p. One main reason is that I intend to keep my Epip (w/double hums) after I get the Tele. That way I'll be able to get the hum sound if I ever need it.
# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/03/2005 2:28 pm
[font=trebuchet ms]Still no worries!

Install some switches. If you replace your control pots with ones that have switches built into them, you don't even have to make any new holes in the guitar. Go to the DiMarzio website, and click on any of the humbucker links. Then click on the link for wiring diagrams for detailed instructions on several different options.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 8
ScottMoney
ScottMoney
04/04/2005 7:00 am
I appreciate your efforts but there is something you must know. I'm an engineering student. I can make things look pretty on paper, but I am definitely not hands-on oriented...

With the intall this's and the poke a hole here's, I'd go crazy workin my way through my guitar.
# 9
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/05/2005 7:19 am
[font=trebuchet ms]I've worked with a lot of engineers over the years, and I'll tell you straight - the only ones who are worth a damn are the ones who can deal hands-on with the hardware. Modifying a guitar pickup is not a job for a beginner because the wires on the coils are about the size of fine hair. But there's nothing complex about the controls and the switching systems. You need to develop a familiar relationship with the tools of the trade.

Roll up your sleeves, son. Get your hands dirty. Your career will benefit, as well as your tone.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 10
ScottMoney
ScottMoney
04/07/2005 5:20 am
You know what, you're right... I'm just lazy, perhaps I'll make a pathetic engineer but right now I don't feel up to it
# 11
scott
Guitar Tricks Instructor
scott
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/12/2005 4:10 pm
I'm with you, Strings...

When I first started playing, I had no idea WTF I was doing and even let other people string up my guitars for me. Then I started getting more guitars and that started getting expensive. Now, I do all of my own work as well as quite a bit of work for others. The only thing I don't mess with on guitars is refinishing, basically because there are so many people out there who do it so well.

So, realistically, if you want to have the freedom to create whatever tone you want and can possibly imagine, you have to be able and willing to open up your guitar, roll your sleeves up, and go to town.

Something else to consider... as far as wiring the pots and switches on the guitar... the worst you could screw up is having to buy another pot or switch (couple of bucks). It's not rocket science, it's the same methodology as hooking up a stereo. You have inputs, you have outputs. If something buzzes horrendously or does not output, something in the "chain" is broken. It's alot easier than it seems... seriously.

Find a book on building a guitar or repairing a guitar (preferably one with pics). That way, you can check it out and see how easy it really is.

Just my $0.02... :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Scott Evans :cool:
Guitartricks.com instructor
Scott's Guitar Tricks
scott@guitartricks.com
scotriani*at*gmail*dot*com
# 12
ScottMoney
ScottMoney
04/16/2005 9:11 pm
(Beware, I've made several modifications to this post as I've found out more and more about what's going on in my guitar)

Ok LOTS, I'm going for it, my sleeves are rollled. I have some time on my hands and I think I'm gonna go for it. I'm gonna try and rework either my bridge position or neck humbucker to be a single coil! Finally I have some time on my hands and I'm just gonna see what happens

*while I'm doing research on how everything's going work, can you tell me what tools I need for to install the new push-pull switch (that will switch from single-coil to double).

I think first off, I just want to make sure I can wire it to single-coil. So do I just need a screwdriver :p

*looking at http://www.dimarzio.com/Text/Wiring/TwoHumbuckers5WayMultiple.pdf
I found I may have run into a problem: only Black/Red/Blue(which turns into white) wires are coming from the pups (looking in the back panel of the guitar i guess). I don't know where to go from here using this schematic

I'm assuming that Their Red/Black/White/Green is the same as my Red/Black/White/Blue Wires? If this helps any, I found out the Blue wire is my Bridge hum and the Red wire is my neck hum. Like I said, there's also a Black wire that comes into the mix somehow, I'm assuming from the tonal/volume nobs.

I've also found out that out of the Red and Blue wires comes a white wire and a silver wire I think that all connect to the middle thing.

Any commentary or help would be really appreciated by anyone at this point
# 13
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/17/2005 6:36 am
[font=trebuchet ms]Electrons are colour-blind. They don't give a damn what colour the wire is.

Use your Ohm-meter to trace out where all of the wires go, and what they do when they get there. I'm guessing that the silver wires are ground connections to the pickup frames, but you'll need to check that for yourself. You will have to remove the strings so that you can lift the pickups out of their pockets and see how they're wired up. Make notes on how the bridge is positioned (it will probably fall off without the strings holding it in place) and how the pickups are oriented. Draw up a schematic of the circuit as it is now, and then work out what changes you want to make. Double-check everything![/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 14
ScottMoney
ScottMoney
04/17/2005 6:58 am
problem A: I don't have an ohm-meter but I might know someone that does... I'll ask him tomorrow.

Also, is this even possible if I only have like a Red and Blue wire coming from the pickups? All the schematics I've found have like 4 wires coming out of each pickup.
# 15
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/17/2005 7:59 am
[font=trebuchet ms]No Ohm-meter! :(

For one to develop a working relationship with tools, it is necessary to have some. You will need:

• A multi-meter. You don't need something with a zillion digits and 'true rms' capability. Just a simple basic meter to measure Volts and Ohms.

• An assortment of Phillips and slot-type screwdrivers.

• Small side-cutters for cutting wire.

• Small needle-nose pliers for forming a hook at the end of a tinned wire so that it will stay in the lug you want to solder it to.

• Medium needle-nose pliers. Something a bit heavier than your wire-forming pliers, for bending solder lugs and anything else that needs tweaking.

• Soldering iron with a small tip and a large tip.

• Solder. See if you can find some of the new lead-free stuff.

• Cross-lock tweezers. These serve as a 'third hand' holding things while you work on them. Also serve as a heat-sink when you're soldering.

• A good book to help you figure out what you want to do, and how to do it. You might find some useful info here as well.

You could go crazy, buying a whole lot of sexy tools to play with, but it's best to stick to basics at first.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 16
ScottMoney
ScottMoney
04/17/2005 3:29 pm
That's a whole lot of crap that I don't have, not to mention having no electirical skills.... oh well, give me till summer and I'll try to go out get that stuff
# 17
ScottMoney
ScottMoney
04/17/2005 8:26 pm
Yea, I can imagine... I hope to have that feeling some day

Ok, I may have tracked down an analog ohm meter. Is there any way I'm going to be able to do this without soldering?
# 18
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/18/2005 12:46 am
Originally Posted by: ScottMoney... Is there any way I'm going to be able to do this without soldering?
[font=trebuchet ms]hmm...

... not successfully... [/font]

:)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 19
ScottMoney
ScottMoney
04/18/2005 1:45 am
Well, I'll start acquiring some of that stuff throughout the next couple weeks. I'll give it a go then I suppose
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.