Boss GT-8

chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/22/2005 6:49 am

Price:currently $445 at musiciansfriend.com.I paid roughly $250 since I traded a GNX4 towrds it.

Pro's
*High quality/very well built
*In depth controls over parameters
*Can respond to pick attack to determine sound(i.e pick soft-clean fender,pick hard-distorted marhsall)
*Plenty of useable presets out of the box
*The effects chain can be switched around to produce different sounds
*Killer effects
*S/PDIF out for recording

Con's
*No software support or editor currently
*Cannot upgrade
*No USB or Fire wire ports for quick connectivity
*Steep learning curve
*Amp models arn't completley 'accurate'

Review
I got this on a whim while going to pick a PODXTL I had reserved for me.They had just got these in.I have had other boss gear in the past(single pedals)so I trusted the build quality and had heard great things about the GT-6,so I took the plunge.The unit itself is solid,just don't kick the knobs...I suppose those could pop off.

The presets out of the box are great.Theres a ton of them and many are high gain or overdrivin.I originally wanted an all in one recording device and assumed this would do just that.Well it dosn't.The GNX4 I had before acted as a low latency outboard device.The boss will not do this and isn't intended too.This machine is meant to be played and used live.That said,it does have an s/pdif output for recording purposes.

While the amp models are great sounding,it seems difficult to 'nail' them like line 6 seems able to.Most of this units power lies in its golden effects.All sound superb and can be tweaked till your blue in the face.The interface is simple yet deep...this unit can't be tamed in a day.

The results are realistic when you approach it as an actual guitar rig.Setting your overdrive/distortion box levels and amp/pre amp volumes just like you would a physical setup.Its all too easy to just max the knobs and get a crappy sound.Everything is very resonsive and when treated like a real amp/cabinet and effects the results are splendid.

As of now,there is no computer software or way to download patches.This is Boss's biggest drawback.A GUI showing the actual amps/effects in a computer enviroment would make the unit much more accessible to people who don't want to learn the manual interface.Also,not being able to share patches is a bummer.http://www.bossgtcentral.com/ has great support for the product and is planning some kind of software editor I believe.

Wrap Up All in all,this board does what it does well...sound good!If tons of accurate amp models is your thing,then line 6 is the way to go.If you desire an all in one workstation then the GNX line may be for you.If you wan't a deep,intuitive piece of great sounding gear that is meant for performance then take the GT-8 for a spin.Ive yet to even scratch the surface.Everyday I find new sounds...truth be told,I spend less time fiddling and more time playing...to me thats everything.

Later!
Try once,fail twice...
# 1
westonanowling
westonanowling
03/27/2005 3:40 am
which one would you recommend more? im looking at the line 6 pedal and this one? for live use.....i play rock and some heavy stuff also....
Weston A Nowling ][-][3peavey wolfgang special edition
# 2
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/27/2005 8:36 am
If you plan on live use and actually putting it on the floor and(gasp)stepping on the device you purchase,then yes the GT-8 is the way to go.Line 6 has decent amp models,but its just not suited for actual gig work as the GT-8.The XTL is a good 'concept' but its not flexible enough.The GT-8 rips with massive distortion.With mic placment,cab/amp choices(designed to sound good 'live'),effect chain manipulation e.c.t. the XTL is just outclassed.

Even if you wanted something to record with,I still wouldn't recommend the XTL.An XT pro would do awsome if you had the money and the regular XT is fine for recording and is a $100 cheaper.
Try once,fail twice...
# 3
westonanowling
westonanowling
03/27/2005 11:39 pm
well the good news is i have alotta time on my hands cause ill be going back to school and i dont work rite now... and its an online school so ill have lots of time to learn it... let me askk... i thought about also buying a mark trem. wah pedal also ...should i use that or just settle for the one thats built in to multi effects pedal
# 4
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/28/2005 4:06 am
Originally Posted by: westonanowlingwell the good news is i have alotta time on my hands cause ill be going back to school and i dont work rite now... and its an online school so ill have lots of time to learn it... let me askk... i thought about also buying a mark trem. wah pedal also ...should i use that or just settle for the one thats built in to multi effects pedal

Well there a ton of great presets...like if you want a nice dry marshall overdrive sound you can just turn off any delay or reverb and save it as a preset...quick and simple.Its when you appraoch it from the ground up,it can get complicated(like if you first choose the amp,then cabinet,then mic placement,then effects and the order of them e.c.t)

The XTL has just one wah type,and I wouldn't step on that thing.The GT-8 has 7 different wah types and the pedal is nice and sturdy.The onboard wah sounds are excellent.
Try once,fail twice...
# 5
westonanowling
westonanowling
03/28/2005 4:11 am
hmm ok kewl sounds like it will work then, my friend had one and i fell in love with it when i played on it so i was just wondering if the pedal would work so thanks:)
# 6
westonanowling
westonanowling
03/28/2005 5:22 pm
yeh sounds like a good idea i guess:) we dont really have ne good music sores here so ill have to drive outta town which isnt bad so it will give me something to do! i guess if i dont like it ill buy a really good amp and use the effects off of it!
# 7
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/28/2005 7:42 pm
Well any pedal board is no replacment for a good amp in my opinion.That said,there are many who use the GT-8 as the main component of their rig by hooking up to powerd speakers(like JBL eons or something)and report great sound that way.I can't imagine the GT-8 sounding its best when run into the front of an amp.Definitley use whatever board or unit you get in the fx loop of the amp.

The funny thing is,BOSS actually has the suckiest support,manuals e.c.t.They make the product,but its third partys and communitys like bossgtcentral.com that push the product to its potential.
Try once,fail twice...
# 8
westonanowling
westonanowling
03/28/2005 10:10 pm
kewl so basically just hook straight into the system(mixer board) instead of bothering with an amp or anything?!
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.