help w/ tuning

Portis_26
Portis_26
03/18/2005 3:26 am
i just got an ibanez rg350dx and it has the edge III pro bridge, but im having a lot of trouble tuning it. i start with the low e string and then when i finish the high e, the low e is out of tune again and when i tune the low e again all hte other strings have gone out of tune also. i gave up after going through this loop like 12 times. i did break a string and replaced all of them (i wasnt sure what size strings were on there in the beginning) so could i have screwed something up? im pretty sure i put the strings on correctly though. any help is appreciated, thanks.
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/18/2005 3:30 am
http://www.blues4kids.com/special_promotions/jackson%20page/jackson_floyd_howto.htm
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
ScottMoney
ScottMoney
03/18/2005 8:20 am
Hey Simon, how many sites do you have stored away for instances such as this, you must have 100's of guitar sites memorized
# 3
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
03/18/2005 10:53 am
I'm unfamiliar with the model and am not aware if it has a Tremelo arm facility.
Over time the bridge return springs can weaken causing tuning problems.

Machine heads sometimes have tightening screws in the handle making the turning action tighter
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 4
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
03/18/2005 1:58 pm
HI, I've been to the Ibanez site and although I didn't find your actual model I saw how Ibanez tremelo arms are designed.
They look very similar to the the set up of a stratocaster - where the bridge springs are located behind a cover on the back of the body.
I was warned about Stratocaster tremelo problems as a young guitarist
I think its a common problem.
I think you've inherited the problem from someone who loved the whammy bar
Have a potter about..........
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/18/2005 2:03 pm
Originally Posted by: ScottMoneyHey Simon, how many sites do you have stored away for instances such as this, you must have 100's of guitar sites memorized

I just use the "search' facility a lot !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 6
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
03/18/2005 4:17 pm
Here's a theory: - if we could jam the bridge { where you feed in a new string at the back} with a small block of wood so that it cannot move - if then it tunes up OK.
It would prove that previously, the tension of the nearly tuned strings was greater than the tension of the bridge return springs and the bridge was moving - putting it out of tune.
# 7
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
03/18/2005 9:56 pm
When tuning a Floyd, or similar bridge style, it helps to alternate strings when tuning.

Like this:

First tune the Low E, then the high E, then the A, then the b, then the d, then the g.

Now, when you come back to the Low E and it's still out of tune, you must compensate. Lets say your tuner says that the Low E is 2 semitones flat (or 2 dots on your tuner). Tune it 2 semitones sharp. And repeat with the rest of the strings.

That should solve your problem.

If not, you need to make sure that the bridge is in the right position. Which is pretty much parallel to the body of the guitar. If not, you need to adjust the springs in the back of the cavity.

Hope that helps.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 8
bababooe316
bababooe316
12/20/2005 4:07 am
Originally Posted by: Portis_26i just got an ibanez rg350dx and it has the edge III pro bridge, but im having a lot of trouble tuning it. i start with the low e string and then when i finish the high e, the low e is out of tune again and when i tune the low e again all hte other strings have gone out of tune also. i gave up after going through this loop like 12 times. i did break a string and replaced all of them (i wasnt sure what size strings were on there in the beginning) so could i have screwed something up? im pretty sure i put the strings on correctly though. any help is appreciated, thanks.

i just got the same guitar (ibanez rg350dx) and am having the same exact problem. does anyone know what can be done to get the guitar in tune?
# 9
jschell
jschell
12/20/2005 6:13 pm
I'm guessing You failed to mention it has a tremelo bar. Look on the back and remove panel. There will be several 2" to 3" springs. Make sure they all have springs. I think you can probably have 5 total. From here you can take 1 off at a time and try to re-tune. when it won't tune go back and add a spring. The proper spring tension pulls the tremelo bridge down firmly against the body of the guitar. If there are not enough springs the bridge tends to "float". The springs make a difference in the tension you feel on the tremelo bar itself as you push on it but you'll get used to it. If that doesn't work take it to your local guitar tech. :cool:
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.