Stairway to Heaven

Dan Zepllindrix
Dan Zepllindrix
04/04/2001 9:10 pm
I am wondering if anyone out there can help me learn how to play Stairway to Heaven? A couple of my friends and I want to play it in the talent show when we are seniors in two years. Yeah its a long time away but i am just starting to play guitar. Anyway, if you can help me out, please reply,and then E-Mail me at kenenski@riconnect.com. Thanks for your help.
------------------------------------------------------------
Best Musicians/Groups of all time (IMHO)
1.Zeppelin. Hands Down. No Questions Asked.
2.Hendrix.
3.The Stones.
4.The Who. [Baba O'Reilly Baby :)]
5.Stevie Ray Vaughn.
6.Jefferson Airplane.
7.Dave Matthews Band.
8.Bob Dylan.
9.Weird Al. (come on you gotta love him.)
10.Cream.
------------------------------------------------------------
Best songs of all Time (Also IMHO)
1.Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin)<--did I have to put that?
2.Baba O'Reilly (The Who)(or Teenage Wasteland as some know it)
3.Fire (Hendrix)
4.#s 11-16 on Abbey Road (you have to listen to it all at once. I think it is so cool.(The Beatles)
5.All Along The Watchtower (Hendrix's version)
6.Voodoo Chile (Stevie Ray Vaughn's version)
7.Pour Some Sugar (Def Leopard)
8.I'm A Believer (The Monkeys)
9.Gypsy Eyes (Hendrix)
10.White Rabbit (Jefferson Airplane)
# 1
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
04/04/2001 9:17 pm
http://shred.guitar.net/tab/

Thats where I started. It has tutorials and stuff too
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 2
John O'Carroll
John O'Carroll
04/04/2001 9:34 pm
Hey Dan - nice call on the Beatles Abbey Road. My band actually does 11-12-13 (Mean Mr Mustard, Polythene Pam, ...Bathroom Window) as a "medley". We had planned to do all six songs but without a keyboardist "You Never Give Me Your Money" just isn't right. I would love to do the 3 different guitar solo sounds at the end of "The End".
Don'y have 3 guitar players and my rhythym player doesn't really want to solo sooooooooo it would be all mine !

As far as Stairway goes, learn how to read and use tab (tablatue) - I believe this site shows you how - and get the Stairway tab from almost any tab site. I think one of the guys here (Joseph) is a Stairway aficianado and could probably give more details as you need.

Great to see you young guys dig the "classics" (for lack of a better description. Welcome to the wonderful world of guitar playing.
# 3
Dan Zepllindrix
Dan Zepllindrix
04/04/2001 9:48 pm
Thanks alot for the help.
The problem with my generation is that they think if your parents listened to it, it sucks. I hate that. There are few people in my school who can hear past all that rap stuff and destiny's child and what have you, and pretty much all of these people are in the band. I guess its only the people who appreciate music that actually listen to the good stuff.(YOYO! I'M EMINEM! PUT A FEW SWEARS AND OBJECTIONAL LYRICS ON A CD AND SLAP MY NAME ON IT AND IT'LL SELL MILLIONS) Although there are a select few good bands that are around today. Dave Matthews Band is a prime example. Their songs just kick ass.
Get this. I was listening to Hendrix on the bus and this girl turns to me and says "Turn that Sh*t off and listen to some good music." She's over there listening to Eminem. Tell me something wrong about THAT picture. *sigh*
# 4
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
04/04/2001 10:04 pm
Yeah women swearing. Its not pretty. Yeah there are a few good bands around now. I dont know if youve heard of David Gray or Aslan. David Gray is a british singer/songwriter whos had his album in the Irish top ten for over a year. Listen to This Years Love or Please Forgive Me. And Aslan are an Irish band. They have some great songs such as Crazy Love and This Is. theyve done covers of Pink Floyd - Wish You were Here and Angie by the Stones and managed to pull it off.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 5
Fender Man
Fender Man
04/04/2001 10:23 pm
Yo Dan, I know exactly I mean exactly what you mean. I was on the bus and listening to Hendrix (he's the man) and this girl who was listening to some rapper I think it was eminem, but anyway she told me to turn it down and quit living in the past. I made me so mad. Then we started arguing about music (trust me you don't want to get in an argument about music with me) and it went on for a long time. Anyway, just wanted to let you know you weren't the only one who is annoyed by eminem and all rap.
"I'll stand up next to a mountain and chop it down with the edge of my hand."
-Jimi Hendrix
# 6
Dan Zepllindrix
Dan Zepllindrix
04/05/2001 11:59 pm
Fender-if i was the only one i would have killed myself by now. :D I just don't understand how that stuff qualifies as music. It makes me mad to see how many even younger children get thier hands on eminem's CDs. I've read the lyrics on some of the songs, and they are all sick sick sick-ass songs. That guy has some mental problems. Anyway, enough about rap, i'm just getting depressed. Think happy thoughts. :):):):):)Okay thats better.

Thanks for all the help (and consolation ;))

Dan
# 7
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
04/06/2001 2:21 pm
i have the same problem with all the rappers and metal heads in my school.. people laughed at me when i said i like ac/dc...
anyway there are still few people out there who like good music like me :)

good luck with that stairway solo..
i dunno why lots of people learn it as a first song..
it's quite hard to play the solo on this one exactly as jimmy plays it, but still it was the most enjoyable solo to learn
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 8
Fender Man
Fender Man
04/06/2001 8:13 pm
Have you noticed how rapper wannabes try to act so cool, and they think they're the stuff? It's so aggervating just to watch them limp around and just be stupid. On the other hand rockers rule. But us rockers are last of a dieing race. Sorda like the song Last Rebel by Lynyrd Skynyd. If you've never heard that song you should listen to it. It talks about a boy with his guitar, but everybody treats him wrong.

Well anyway, How you coming along on Stairway. I tryed learning it a long time ago, but give up, I think I'm going to try to learn it again. Wish me Luck.
-Jimi Hendrix
# 9
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
04/06/2001 10:06 pm
I saw a kid, he wasnt more than 8 or 9 I reckon, in the middle of the busiest street in the country going full force at The Way I Am. Id call it busking but its not music.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 10
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
04/07/2001 1:59 am
seems like everyone is having this problem. i hate rap with a passion. it's one of the lowest forms of music (if you can call it music) besides disco. it's amazing to me that people can listen to all that crap, its just talking with an electronic drum beat in the backround. whatever happened to artists with talent, what i mean is that any person who can rhyme suck and f*** can make it big. i don't mean to say there are no artists today without talent, i'm just stating the fact that all you have to do to make it big is be able to talk.
anyways, good luck with stairway, its the greatest song of all time, and the reason i play guitar with passion, i haven't quite got everything, i just need a few more tricks in the solo, but it is tough. i respect anyone who plays that, it is the ultimate song, well, good luck, and rock on
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 11
Fender Man
Fender Man
04/07/2001 3:26 pm
I know what ya mean, Zepp_rules (cool name),
I hate rap too, anyone can talk with a drum macine. What makes me mad is there are so many people out there who like that crap. Almost everyone I know likes it. It's so stupid. Like I said on another post, it's so aggervating to just watch a rapper wannabe. They limp around and try to act like they are the stuff, and they think they're so cool. They're are few rockers around now a days. Everytime you turn on Mtv, it's something rap crap. I get in a lot of arguments at school, cuz somebody sas something stupid about music. Trust me, they don't want to get in argument about music with me. It's makes me feel good, that they're are people out there who feel the same way I do. Us rock 'n' roll lovers are last of a dying race. Sorda like the Lynyrd Skynyrd song, "Last Rebel". It talks about a boy with his guitar but everyone treats him wrong. Good song. I hope that rock can make a come back. felt good to get that frustration out.

Sorry to get off the subject, but that had to be said. Rock on.

Zeppelin forever.
-Jimi Hendrix
# 12
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
04/07/2001 8:27 pm
i gave up on mtv a while ago, vh1 has got some cool stuff, especially "Rock Show" (friday nights at 11(central time))
anyways, look on the bright side" all those rap fans are going to be surprised when the die and hendrix is playing at pearly gates.

Zeppelin RULES!!!
--Otto the Bus Driver
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 13
Dan Zepllindrix
Dan Zepllindrix
04/09/2001 9:55 pm
About VH1- Did you see the countdown of the 100 greatest rock songs of all time? I strongly disagree with their choice of "Satisfaction" by the Stones as the #1. It is a kick ass song, but there are SO many better songs, even by the Rolling Stones themselves. Stairway to Heaven was only number two or three.

# 14
Fender Man
Fender Man
04/09/2001 10:06 pm
I know Free Bird was like #47 or something (sooo wrong).
-Jimi Hendrix
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.