melodies

chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/01/2005 1:10 pm
Alright...

Is there any such book of exhaustive reference to/of melodies...like melodies that really can tug at you and move you.I know its a creative process,but I would imagine there would be some sort of formula for creating chord progressions and solo's that act like peanut butter n' jelly.

Like a riff thats played along with perfectly and then 'shifts' slightly for a short time to create slight dissonance...

to simplify...is there a sound theoretic 'guidline' for creating complex melodies.
Try once,fail twice...
# 1
horwad
horwad
03/02/2005 2:53 pm
Back in the day when I used to play really heavy stuff, I wanted to get away for the power chord song writing, I listened to Death, Slayer, Yngwie, stuff like that and the thing I noticed was alot of their melodies were just harmonies. Usually thirds, and in a minor key. Once I figured this stuff out in the beginning, the songs and melodies and riffs, just started flowing. Not sure where you are with skill level but try recording your self playing a C maj scale, then move up a third to E and play all natural notes along with the C maj scale and you will hear the harmonies, then you can try variations of that for dissonance. Hope this helps
# 2
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
03/02/2005 8:58 pm
Stuff on voice leading and counterpoint would probably be what your looking for. There are specific books on melody, although they usually pertain to singing/vocal melody. Those are good too because an instrument is meant to simulate the human voice. Which is also why the best melodies are easily singable. Voice leading is where each note in a chord progresses to another melodically. Which if your looking for, how to write chord progression to melodies or vice versa, voice leading is how.

Melodies usually aren't complex, the complex part is the ornamentation.

Moving in steps is always good.
Sticking to skips in the tonic triad
Keep to chord tones on beats, except 2nd and 4th's which you shouldn't use too much.
Good melodies are easily singable, if you sing it and they're an odd interval. That's a very good indication you made a mistake.

Those produce good results.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.