View post (Do u guys think a solo career is stupid? RESPOND PLZ)

View thread

Bardsley
Bardsley
04/04/2001 12:39 pm
I know exactly where you are coming form, being in a similar situation (or at least I think I do).
I play in band situations, but I always find the music is not satisfying me, that people don't have the same ideas/influences, etc, and what I play and sing isn't what I wanted. Now, on the other hand, they probably all think the same about me, but it can be frustrating. Whe you are with a band, how can you remain faithful to the music in your soul? I'm sure that in a lot of cases, it is the different ideas that stimulate a band, an a songwriter, so that they work to one sound, with different ideas.
However, I often think that solo is the way to go, to form your band, but make it certain that you are in control, like Vai, or Dylan, or people like that.
Also, sometimes I think that is too arrogant, and I should simply go completely solo, but then I keep writing four part arrangements, etc.
I have a feeling that it is better to be part of a band, in which you don't necessarily go your own way, but go the way of the band as a whole. Sure there are compromises, but it might mean you get stimulated as a songwriter, or that together you can create a blend of sounds.
However, when I become famous (lol) as either a solo artist, an artist with a band, or part of a band, I will know where it is good to go (note irony).

"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".