amp settings...

piphatelife
he he he
piphatelife
he he he
02/27/2005 6:05 pm
i have a epiphone studio ten and i cant seem to get a warm bluesy tone now i got a guitar with dual humbuckers but i still cant seem to get a clean warm tone. any ideas?

o ye its a simple amp and it has :
gain
volume
mid
treble
bass
and a boost button if thtat helps
look up inept in the dictionary and you see my picture next to it
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/27/2005 6:25 pm
Keep the gain down and the volume up. This will give you a less heavy metal tone. The classic blues thing is to find the point where the notes are just breaking up though this can be achieved by playing with the volume on your guitar, turning it up when you want the note to break up and back down when you want the sound to clean up.

Play with the Treble middle and bass until you find something you like. It is hard to give absolutes as the exact tone will depend on 1) the guitar and 2) the way you play it. Id be tempted to keep the treble down and start by boosting your mids though the effect of this will also depend on the type of amp. You may also find that turning up the mids will alter the distorted sound you get, more mids = more breakup, less mids = cleaner sound though this will depend on the way the amp is wired.

You might also want to use your coil splitters if you have them (tap switch) for a more Hendrix (neck pickup) / SRV tone.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
JJKRN
JJKRN
02/28/2005 1:09 pm
Try Rolling Your Volume Knob Down A Bit,,on The Amp Lower The Treble Setting,,mids Should Be A 9 O'clock On The Dial,,kick Up The Bass Setting To About Half Way,,also A Blues Type Stomp Box May Help

Jeff
# 3
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/28/2005 1:28 pm
Originally Posted by: JJKRNmids Should Be A 9 O'clock On The Dial

He's not playing "The House Jack Built." I don't think he should be scooping his mids on blues.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 4
alucard0941
alucard0941
02/28/2005 9:30 pm
this is what I use on my Stratocaster so the settings might be different on your guitar.

gain- 4
teble- 4
mid-6
bass-9
*put the volume on low and have the boost button on
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 5
shreddingsoon
shreddingsoon
02/28/2005 10:09 pm
if you want to get a really mellow sound try a tone setting used by eric clapton and especially slash in his solos ( knocking on heavens door for example ) use gain at 4, volume aprox 7, bass 2, middle and treble 2. then turn your tone dials (or dial) all the way down and put your pickup switch in the neck position.
reeeeeeeal bluesy!
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.