my slow fingers

piphatelife
he he he
piphatelife
he he he
02/19/2005 4:51 pm
hey im ben,

ive just started guitar and i cnat seem to make me fingers go fast enough for the songs/solos im playing. how can i get them faster? any ideas?
cheers
look up inept in the dictionary and you see my picture next to it
# 1
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/19/2005 5:09 pm
That's the million dollar question Chief. There's a number of things you can do and if you just started guitar don't expect to be shredding like Slash or anything just yet. It takes time and patience. A metronome will be your best friend with devoping speed so get one and practice with it but remember. Start slow even after you've accomplished something you can handle. When you start practicing start at a speed you know you can take then work up. If you're having a hard time keeping up with something then go back down a bit and familiarize yourself with something else for a bit. Just remember, you can't play fast if you can't play slow. If you feel like you're straining yourself then slow down and relax. Tension is also bad and causes you to slow down. If you tense up then you've got resisting force to work against and you can not only decrease your speed but damage your tendons and muscles. Just take it easy and as they always say Practice, Practice, Practice.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 2
piphatelife
he he he
piphatelife
he he he
02/19/2005 5:54 pm
metronome.. hadnt thought of that. cheers. i also hear a cool solo in my head wen i try it it i cant play it fast enough so it sounds bad. ill def try the metronome
look up inept in the dictionary and you see my picture next to it
# 3
koRn_freAk
koRn_freAk
02/19/2005 8:18 pm
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsThat's the million dollar question Chief. There's a number of things you can do and if you just started guitar don't expect to be shredding like Slash or anything just yet. It takes time and patience. A metronome will be your best friend with devoping speed so get one and practice with it but remember. Start slow even after you've accomplished something you can handle. When you start practicing start at a speed you know you can take then work up. If you're having a hard time keeping up with something then go back down a bit and familiarize yourself with something else for a bit. Just remember, you can't play fast if you can't play slow. If you feel like you're straining yourself then slow down and relax. Tension is also bad and causes you to slow down. If you tense up then you've got resisting force to work against and you can not only decrease your speed but damage your tendons and muscles. Just take it easy and as they always say Practice, Practice, Practice.

thanks for the advice
# 4
DARKNESS69247
DARKNESS69247
02/24/2005 6:31 am
Thanks, that's some good advice.
# 5
franco406new
franco406new
03/08/2024 10:35 am

Begin by playing the songs or solos at a comfortable, slower pace Focus. on accuracy and proper technique before trying to increase speed.

edited
# 7
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/11/2024 10:51 pm

Hi Ben,

Like with any new "sport" it takes a lot of foundation-building before speed can come into play.

Your MUSCLES are literally learning new moves - and as you would with any new sport, you would not expect to jump in and ace the skills at top speed until you had plenty of time on slow practice drills. 

Slow and steady wins the game!

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 7
felixinfo
felixinfo
04/12/2024 4:40 am

Begin practicing the song or solo at a comfortable, slow pace. Focus on playing each note cleanly and accurately before increasing the speed.Keep practicing, stay focused.

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.