Bass Guitar

Criblo
Criblo
02/17/2005 7:52 am
As you all know, I've only been playing for a couple of week. and still am not very good, and still learning the music....well I started learning to play the guitar to eventually get into learning the bass guitar. Bass guitarists always amaze me at shows, and that's what I eventually want to learn to play. I found a bass guitar I want to buy. Click here to see the Bass

Well Do you think it's too early for me to even bother buying a bass? I really liked the look, of this one and it seemed to have good reviews. I want to continue learning the 6 string, but would it be too difficult to mess with two instruments, and learn the basics for both?

OTher question, do you think this guitar I linked to is a good bass to get? I want something under $300. If not this one, then what do you recommend?
# 1
MFerguson
MFerguson
02/17/2005 1:13 pm
Whoa, Dude-Slow down-
Playing the bass versus playing the Guitar is about the same as driving a mini van versus driving a mustang. The principles are the same, but the techniques are different and the results are totally different.
I play the guitar, my wife plays the bass. I play her bass like a lead guitarist, my wife hates playing chords on the guitar and loves the bass because of that.
Bass players are part of the foundation of the band, the guitar is the glitz.
We say the bass and drums are the cake, the guitars are the frosting.

Playing bass requires more knowledge of music. You have to know your notes, 3rds, 5ths, and 8ths from the root of the chord. You must have a sence of rhythm. You help keep time for the other musicians. There are very few tabs for bass, as each player has his/her own take on what to play and when to play it. Lessons and teachers are highly recommended.

In my opinion, bassists are bassists and guitarists are guitarists.

As far as you bass you chose, it is a decent one. Do you have/are you getting a BASS amp? You can't hear you bass within 2' of your ear without one.
I would recommend the Washburn starter pack that comes with a bass, amp, gig bag and TUNER. The tuner is very important. If you are not in tune, everyone knows.

Keep up the musical fire...
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/17/2005 1:39 pm
Ah go for it.

Guitarists are a dime a dozen, bass players can always get a job !

If you can afford it well why not, you may find you enjoy it more than the guitar.

I do both and yep they are different however they are (IMHO) both fun also. No need to be a one trick pony.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
kingdavid
kingdavid
02/17/2005 4:12 pm
Originally Posted by: CribloAs you all know, I've only been playing for a couple of week. and still am not very good...

:p
I like your spirit. I'm smiling at this statement.
Sounds kinda naive, then again I like the spirit.
At that rate you will get good.
Don't let anyone tell you it's too soon to do this or that. It's all upto you. I'm told that withing five years of starting to play guitar, Pat Metheny had become an accomplished guitar teacher. I've had a guitar for a similar length of time, but I'm as far from becoming a teacher as anyone can get.
About the bass, if you feel like you're upto it, go for it. A pal of mine started out on bass, and played bass for quite a while before he could even grab a G chord.
So go for it, and good luck!!
# 4
pricklepuss
pricklepuss
02/18/2005 1:05 am
i say go for it, when i started out playing bass, i learnt guitar at the same time (so that i could tell what the guitarist in the band was playing)
i never had any probs, the theory is all similar and the practice aint too far apart either.
it certainly gives you a better idea of how what you play will effect the dynamic of your band if you can think like a bassist and a lead guitarist. and learning both from the start will put you ahead of other guys further down the line as you will have been playing and thinking like both from the beginning.
oh, and picking up on an earlier reply, the guitarist should know as much as the bassist about music, and should certainly know what notes both he and the bassist are playing.
# 5
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/19/2005 5:21 pm
I play bass and guitar so I don't really see any reason why you shouldn't. I'm better at guitar but I still feel a need to keep up with the bass (probably because I write and record all my stuff myself and if I can't keep up with what I write then I need to practice more). But as stated above by Ferguson, bass and guitar share a lot of similarities in that they're stringed and their setup, etc. but the science and value behind them is completely different. Bass defines the guitar's movements and is what connects the guitars to the drums. In a metaphor the guitars are the head and the bass is the neck and shoulders that it rests on. If you want to learn bass then get a bass and start at it because while playing guitar will help you familiarize the whole holding frets and strumming aspect, there are things that guitar won't be able to prepare you for. Besides, I don't recall there being any rule stated on when someone's prepared for one instrument over another, I've always decided when I'm ready for what I do and I've never had a problem with that.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 6
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/20/2005 8:21 pm
I play both bass and guitar, although I'm alot more confident with the bass. I think it's a good idea to learn both, although you may want to consider how much time you'll have to work with each. If you plan on writting and recording your own songs, it's good to have both. Write a song with either and you have and know the other instrument to put something else to it. that and I admire those who can play multiple instruments, I wish I could play drums.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 7
Criblo
Criblo
02/20/2005 8:42 pm
Thanks everyone

Anyone have suggestions on a beginner bass for under 300?
# 8
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/20/2005 9:30 pm
I have a Squier P-bass and it sucks. Yeah, sure for a beginners bass it's not bad but it's a pain in the ass. The input jack is crap and the pickguard doesn't stay down in parts. If you are absolutely, positively 100% sure that you want to go places as a bassist then don't be afraid to spend a bit more and splurge for a more intermediate bass, but if your funds are low and/or you're not sure about being a bassist, or you don't want to wait or whatever, then do as you see fit. The squier I have is 4 years old mind you, so it wasn't always junk. I haven't exactly worked with very many basses though so the Squier I have is all I can go by and it cost me about $130. Just remember, you get what you pay for.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 9
paradyme
paradyme
02/22/2005 12:06 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonAh go for it.

Guitarists are a dime a dozen, bass players can always get a job !

If you can afford it well why not, you may find you enjoy it more than the guitar.

I do both and yep they are different however they are (IMHO) both fun also. No need to be a one trick pony.

So true. Bass players are hard to come by, and good bass players...?... get there and you will ALWAYS have a gig!

plus I always found that the bass player is almost always the coolest one in the band- dunno why, usually way laid back and much less ego problems than the frosting part of the ensemble tends to have...
[FONT=Times New Roman]The rich get richer til the poor get educated.[/FONT]
-Sage Francis
# 10
Hamberg
Hamberg
02/22/2005 2:20 am
Originally Posted by: paradymeSo true. Bass players are hard to come by, and good bass players...?... get there and you will ALWAYS have a gig!

plus I always found that the bass player is almost always the coolest one in the band- dunno why, usually way laid back and much less ego problems than the frosting part of the ensemble tends to have...

Dude its true; the bass player is always the coolest person in the band.
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 11
Saxybass
Saxybass
02/22/2005 3:44 pm
i am also a beginner with the bass. ive been playing the saxophone for about 12 yrs. so i do have a musical background, but i would like some tips with basic jazz and rock techniques. i would also like to learn to read bass tabs.
"Life's a journey, not a destination."
-Aerosmith
# 12
Criblo
Criblo
02/24/2005 8:16 am
I bought a cheap bass and a cheap amp...

I friggin love practicing the bass....it feels so much more natural for some reason. I am really enjoying doing bass tabs where as the guitar tabs I did I really struggled on.

I bought a washburn xb102q....I like it....you all probably know it as a piece of crap but it works for learning.
# 13
ake
ake
02/24/2005 10:29 pm
I also play both bass and guitar and I have found that playing the bass makes me a better guitar player and vice versa but playing the tenor sax makes me a better musician. However sometimes I feel spread a bit to thin.

If music be the food of love; Play on.

Shakespeare
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power;we will know peace" J. Hendrix
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.