Sperzel Tuners

joshers
joshers
02/07/2005 8:28 pm
I searched the forum for sperzel tuners and found a lot of info on them but didn't find much on the installation process (except for simon's brief description).

I own a gibson sg faded (2004) and i was wondering if the peghole is big enough for the sperzel tuners (which is 3/8"). How did the installation process go about? when making additional holes (simon reference) did you use a normal screw driver and just screwed the screws into the head stock, or did you use a drill bit (the actual handheld machine). If so how fast did you go about making the holes, im a bit scared that if you drill into the headstock, you'll have a chance to create cracks which would be highly unpleasant.

thanks for the info in advance.
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/07/2005 9:27 pm
I had to enlarge the peg holes on my strat.

I did this using a tapered rasp or reamer.

To do this. Strip out the old machine heads and measure the point where the rasp is at 10 mm diameter. Mark this off with masking tap as a depth gauge. Then starting at the back of the head stock gradually widen the holes. Once you are up to the masking tape, flip the neck over and start from the front. When you are up to the correct depth check Sperzels fit. If not keep widening one side then the other until they do. You will notice that sperzels don't use screws they have locators that fit into the neck. The thing that keeps the pegs in place is a locking assembly that fits right through the neck.

You will need to make a small hole for the locating bar. I used a B and D electric screw driver with a drill bit attached (quite low speed, I can find the diameter when I get home if you like). I used a pencil to mark off where the hole needed to be to keep the tuners strait, again using masking tape put a depth gauge on the drill bit and sunk it in.

If you are lucky, everything will just line up nicely !

Fill the old holes with a bit of tooth pick and seal it with a dab of super glue and you are ready to rock.

You can also line up the tuners and give than a sharp bash to make an indentation where the locator needs to go, but I would never do that !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
joshers
joshers
02/07/2005 9:49 pm
haha thanks a lot. as this is my only axe, i won't risk putting in the tuners but instead have someone who has experience put them in. let guitarcenter do it! lets hope they don't mess up.
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/07/2005 9:57 pm
I got my first set put on at a local guitar store. Cost me $25 + Sperzels !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.