Very very basic questions. Please don't laugh.

Criblo
Criblo
02/07/2005 5:10 pm
I have been practicing with a guitar book ever since I bought my guitar on saturday. It was a struggle just to tune it, and more of a struggle to pick up the really basic concepts of reading the music. I wanted to know if anyone knew a good instructional book for the fundamentals, my book is good, but it assumes you know a little, and where I am, I know nothing.

Also, my roommate brought home some cords to play a few songs, and many of the cords it felt I physically COULD NOT do, let alone do in the middle of a song. Are there any tips for holding the guitar or anything? I'm using my finger tips to try these cords, and there's always one string being pressed wrong.
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/07/2005 5:38 pm
It just takes practice !

Check out the section listing beginners tutorials. There is a link on the GT home page (click the pick on the top lest of this page) , look at the red bars at the top of the home page and click the beginners tab.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
progg
progg
02/07/2005 8:26 pm
No one will laugh. No need to excuse yourself for not knowing =)

I really recommend this video for you "FENDER PRESENTS: GETTING STARTED ON ACOUSTIC GUITAR (WITH KEITH WYATT)". It'll definitely get you started but bare in mind this takes time. You want to play for fun don't you? Work on chords and just enjoy the sounds, everything will come easier later on. Try to get someone better to play with you. You'll learn tons I'm sure.

Good luck
Don't look at me, swan!
# 3
guitarist101
GT Instructor
guitarist101
GT Instructor
02/07/2005 9:00 pm
Since you've just started learning to play, try playing the following chords (in the order I type them). If you hear a buzzing sound when you play a chord, then try moving your finger more toward the middle of the frets (not too close to the fretwire).

Em7 Em E Am A Am C G
e |---0--------0--------0------0------0-----0------0------3-----|
b |---0--------0--------0------1------2-----1------1------0-----|
g |---0--------0--------1------2------2-----2------0------0-----|
d |---0--------2--------2------2------2-----2------2------0-----|
a |---2--------2--------2------0------0-----0------3------2-----|
e |---0--------0--------0----------------------------------3-----|

Try using just your middle finger for the Em7.

Now, add your ring finger to play the Em chord.

Next, add your index finger (1st fret) to play the E (major) chord.

For the next one (Am), move all of your fingers down a string.

To form an A, place your little finger onto the 2nd fret (B string).

Now remove your little finger and replace your index finger onto the 1st fret.

Now, take your ring finger off the G string (2nd fret) and place it onto the 3rd fret, A string, to form a C.

And, finally, put your index finger on the 2nd fret (A string), your middle finger on the 3rd fret (low E/1st string), and your ring finger on the 3rd fret (hi E/6th string).

Hope that helps you (and doesn't confuse you too much). :)

David
# 4
paradyme
paradyme
02/07/2005 9:03 pm
Originally Posted by: CribloI have been practicing with a guitar book ever since I bought my guitar on saturday. It was a struggle just to tune it, and more of a struggle to pick up the really basic concepts of reading the music. I wanted to know if anyone knew a good instructional book for the fundamentals, my book is good, but it assumes you know a little, and where I am, I know nothing.

Also, my roommate brought home some cords to play a few songs, and many of the cords it felt I physically COULD NOT do, let alone do in the middle of a song. Are there any tips for holding the guitar or anything? I'm using my finger tips to try these cords, and there's always one string being pressed wrong.

That sounds perfectly normal to me- your hands are just not yet used to doing what's being asked of them. Believe it or not, that stuff will get like second nature to you- your fingers will get stronger and you'll get a finer idea of exactly how much pressure you need to apply to fret a chord or even single notes- I for instance used to choke the hell out of my guitar which isn't going to help, so I was overexerting my fretting hand and tiring it out unnecessarily. So to address the question - yes there is a correct way to hold the instrument, so I would suggest doing that; I'm sure your method book explains it, but it makes sense to not be able to change to a particular chord- most guitarists (myself included) have a very tough time getting around the notorious F chord. Keep bangin away on that thing though; you will get more comfortable.

peace
[FONT=Times New Roman]The rich get richer til the poor get educated.[/FONT]
-Sage Francis
# 5
Lava_Monster
Lava_Monster
02/07/2005 9:20 pm
Give up on the basic concept of reading music for now. Seriously until you become comfortable with the guitar; you should not worry about reading sheet music. It requires a lot more work than it's worth for a beginner, later on pick it up again. Learn to read tabs and chord charts.

Tips for holding a guitar: Have the guitar resting slightly on you(if sitting). Hold the next up slighty and keep your thumb behind the neck. Arch your hand and try not to keep your fingers close to the fretboard as humanly possible.

It just takes a lot of time to get use to the chords and changing chords, but I promise if you work at it, it'll be like second nature.
I can't help it. When I get an idea that excites me it's as if I can't breath unless I make it real.
-Steve Vai
# 6
Criblo
Criblo
02/07/2005 9:31 pm
Originally Posted by: guitarist101Since you've just started learning to play, try playing the following chords (in the order I type them). If you hear a buzzing sound when you play a chord, then try moving your finger more toward the middle of the frets (not too close to the fretwire).

Em7 Em E Am A Am C G
e |---0--------0--------0------0------0-----0------0------3-----|
b |---0--------0--------0------1------2-----1------1------0-----|
g |---0--------0--------1------2------2-----2------0------0-----|
d |---0--------2--------2------2------2-----2------2------0-----|
a |---2--------2--------2------0------0-----0------3------2-----|
e |---0--------0--------0----------------------------------3-----|

Try using just your middle finger for the Em7.

Now, add your ring finger to play the Em chord.

Next, add your index finger (1st fret) to play the E (major) chord.

For the next one (Am), move all of your fingers down a string.

To form an A, place your little finger onto the 2nd fret (B string).

Now remove your little finger and replace your index finger onto the 1st fret.

Now, take your ring finger off the G string (2nd fret) and place it onto the 3rd fret, A string, to form a C.

And, finally, put your index finger on the 2nd fret (A string), your middle finger on the 3rd fret (low E/1st string), and your ring finger on the 3rd fret (hi E/6th string).

Hope that helps you (and doesn't confuse you too much). :)

David

That "A" chord is the one I was trying to do but couldn't.

My fingers are too fat I think. The D string comes out bad each time.
# 7
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/07/2005 9:58 pm
No you just need to practice !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 8
guitarist101
GT Instructor
guitarist101
GT Instructor
02/07/2005 10:55 pm
If you think your fingers are too big to fit three fingers within one fret then try just using one finger...

Place your middle finger on the 2nd fret (D string) and then roll it down so that it covers the 2nd frets (G and B strings). When doing this, you'll have to push down on the tip of your finger while also lifting the back end (so you don't touch the hi E string. This is tough to get use to here, but can help with more complex chords later on.

(and of course your fingers aren't too fat... just look at Yngwie). :D
# 9
alucard0941
alucard0941
02/07/2005 11:18 pm
Originally Posted by: CribloI have been practicing with a guitar book ever since I bought my guitar on saturday. It was a struggle just to tune it, and more of a struggle to pick up the really basic concepts of reading the music. I wanted to know if anyone knew a good instructional book for the fundamentals, my book is good, but it assumes you know a little, and where I am, I know nothing.

Right on man!!
dont worry I felt the same way. It took me a full 2 weeks to master changing from E to A chords. Since you got it on Saturday and today is umm Monday, its only three days!!! With time, you will regret making this thread cause you will master it as long as you practice.

btw, dont be embarresed about these kinds of questions no one will laugh
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 10
Lori_B
Lori_B
02/08/2005 6:29 pm
Everyone feels they have fat uncoordinated fingers at first... You'll get it with time. However, sometimes it is easier for people to learn on a classical guitar. The fret board is wider and the strings are nylon so it makes for less bumpin into other strings and not as painful as your building up callouses.
# 11
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
02/10/2005 10:51 pm
The A chord is easy...just lay your index finger over the stings D,G and B at the 2nd fret and strum them...thats the A chord.No need to jumble your fingers together and make it difficult. :D
Try once,fail twice...
# 12
kingdavid
kingdavid
02/11/2005 4:02 pm
Originally Posted by: CribloVery basic questions, please don't laugh...

HA ! HA! HA! HA! HA!
How could you not know something like that?
Where are you from?
Y'know, me, and everyone else on this site, we used to practice sweep picking with our umblical cords when we was still in our mamas wombs.
How do you think Van Halen came up with eruption?
He was standing in the supermarket check out queue behind my mama, and he heard me playing one of those things I used to play when life in gestation became too boring. That plagiarist!!!
And when I came out, at birth, when the doc spanked my ass to see I'm ok, I didn't wail like ordinary kids, I let out this weeengggggg!!!! weeengggggg!!!! weeengggggg!!!! thing while at the same time illustrating it on my air guitar. You shoulda seen the look on doctor's face!!
Today being my 26th birthday, you can only imagine how much I've become a bad ass at guitar, considering the skills I had at birth.
With that in mind, I guess you can understand how I can't help but giggle when big boys like you ask such silly questions.
# 13
fastelvis
fastelvis
02/12/2005 1:58 am
Your fingers are not too fat (you should see Yngwie's).
You are not too clumsy and your coordination is fine (you typed the question in, right?)
Everything feels weird and impossible because it is, that is until you have trained yourself to do it. Nobody is born with the gift to play great guitar and there is no such thing as beginners luck. If you want it bad enough, you'll get there.

Get a video for beginners and take it slow. Your skill will build quickly once you get some practice under you belt.
Some lessons wouldn't hurt.
I once thought a "Sweeping Arpeggio" was an Italian janitor.
# 14
kristafer
kristafer
02/12/2005 7:10 pm
hi this is my first post this is my third atempt at learning guitar hopefully ill get there this time.about the a chord i try to use my index finger to hold all three strings or middle ring and little finger worth a try .
in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king :cool:
# 15
Lava_Monster
Lava_Monster
02/12/2005 9:31 pm
I read someone suggest a classical guitar because it would be easier. Not a good idea. You can't give someone a classical and expect it to be the same as regular ole acoustic. Classical guitars are not meant to be strummed on for very long, maybe flamenco, but i'm no expert in that.

Just keep working on it. It will become the easiest thing you can do if you keep pushing yourself. No excuses just keep practicing and by this time next yea, you'll be doing some pretty amazing stuff.
I can't help it. When I get an idea that excites me it's as if I can't breath unless I make it real.
-Steve Vai
# 16
konman
konman
02/12/2005 10:08 pm
I got a boost learning the guitar after I got a tascam guitar trainer CD-GT1. It has a built-in tuner, a bunch of effects, you can play along your CDs, you can loop a particular part, slow it down, change its pitch. It works great for me.

There is a lot of play-along books with CDs on the market that you can take advantage of later, but to get you started the right way is GUITAR FOR DUMMIES (I am not making fun of you, I have and love this book myself). A cd goes with this book, they may be available in a public library near you.

Don't give up, PRACTICE and you will have fun!
# 17
NeoJester
NeoJester
02/13/2005 8:44 pm
Don't worry, everyone is like that at the beginning, unless you've played another instrument before...but thats not the case

anywho, I recommend a book called Guitar Method by Hal Leonard, actually there are 3 books (1 - 2 - 3 by order of difficulty.) or you can buy the spiral "teachers edition" (ok i know its not called that) it has well placed diagrams and easy to learn instructions.

rock on dood

also for speed-accuracy practice, after you've done a few exercises in the book of course, try playing scales. they may be boring but they do work.
# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.