View post (epiphone les paul classic pro's and con's)

View thread

paradyme
paradyme
02/07/2005 9:34 pm
Originally Posted by: indiemanive been looking at the epiphone les paul classic and ive heard that it is gd for a bluesy/clapton kind of tone and also classic rock. but ive also heard that the pup's r muddy is this the truth??? or does it depend on the modle u get :confused: im looking for a guitar wid 2 humbuckers and have been looking at the les paul custom and the classic which is a better choice for classic rock and blues???? or im willing to look at other guitars

This is probably the Gibson vs Fender debate, but I have to be honest, I always thought Fender was the instrument of choice for more blues/rock players- If you hate buzz, HB's might be the way to go, but I would suggest looking at an actual Fender instrument rather than an epi- the reason is that Fender instruments are more consistent- you can get an epi that's amazing or one that's outright terrible. They're made in indonesia by Samick. The reason for the cost of them is the look and the name, both of which are licensed.

Fender instruments on the other hand can be had at reasonable costs, provided you go with the old Hecho en Mexico angle- same wood as their American cousins, same pickups, and same workmanship. I have had a mex Tele for what seems like forever, and it's been solid as a rock and I think I paid 3oo beans for it new. You can't touch an epi les paul for that- but then again, I am definitely on the Fender side of the debate and I really don't like Gibsons.

good luck though
[FONT=Times New Roman]The rich get richer til the poor get educated.[/FONT]
-Sage Francis