epiphone les paul classic pro's and con's

indieman
indieman
02/06/2005 3:16 pm
ive been looking at the epiphone les paul classic and ive heard that it is gd for a bluesy/clapton kind of tone and also classic rock. but ive also heard that the pup's r muddy is this the truth??? or does it depend on the modle u get :confused: im looking for a guitar wid 2 humbuckers and have been looking at the les paul custom and the classic which is a better choice for classic rock and blues???? or im willing to look at other guitars
# 1
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
02/06/2005 6:57 pm
Con: It's not a gibson LP.
Pro: It's cheaper.

Epis very greatly in quality. Some Epi LPs are pretty much as good as the real thing, some are closer to squire.

I would actually recommend you look for something different. It sounds like you're looking for a strat. Clapton plays one, SRV plays one, and strats can also rock. Nirvana and Pink Floyd, for example.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 2
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
02/06/2005 8:28 pm
You could always swap in some Gibson humbuckers. Pay a bit more and get an Elite Epiphone.

The Goldtop is a cool guitar as well.. It has P-90's which really scream and have some great crunch.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 3
indieman
indieman
02/06/2005 9:32 pm
thanks guys i think i should save up a bit 2 get e epi elite they sound quite gd unfortunatly i dnt have a vry big budget :( and i h8 my squire it has got 2 be the worst guitar ever made!!!!!! and i need a half decent guitar which isnt falling apart! lol
# 4
robot123
robot123
02/06/2005 10:37 pm
Originally Posted by: indiemanthanks guys i think i should save up a bit 2 get e epi elite they sound quite gd unfortunatly i dnt have a vry big budget :( and i h8 my squire it has got 2 be the worst guitar ever made!!!!!! and i need a half decent guitar which isnt falling apart! lol

Hopefully you've got some room in your budget to spend $250 on some vowels. You can save up for the whole set and they might give you some kind of package discount, or else it'll cost you the whole $1250.
# 5
konman
konman
02/07/2005 4:25 pm
esp ec-1000 are also very good and cheaper than epi elites
# 6
SpeckledJim
SpeckledJim
02/07/2005 4:26 pm
well ive got a epi les paul which i bought 2 years ago and it sounds great but i played one in the shop , exact model and it played and sounded like crap. i dont know if they make them in the same place as they always did so i would be careful.
Fender telecaster (2004)
Ash body
# 7
paradyme
paradyme
02/07/2005 9:34 pm
Originally Posted by: indiemanive been looking at the epiphone les paul classic and ive heard that it is gd for a bluesy/clapton kind of tone and also classic rock. but ive also heard that the pup's r muddy is this the truth??? or does it depend on the modle u get :confused: im looking for a guitar wid 2 humbuckers and have been looking at the les paul custom and the classic which is a better choice for classic rock and blues???? or im willing to look at other guitars

This is probably the Gibson vs Fender debate, but I have to be honest, I always thought Fender was the instrument of choice for more blues/rock players- If you hate buzz, HB's might be the way to go, but I would suggest looking at an actual Fender instrument rather than an epi- the reason is that Fender instruments are more consistent- you can get an epi that's amazing or one that's outright terrible. They're made in indonesia by Samick. The reason for the cost of them is the look and the name, both of which are licensed.

Fender instruments on the other hand can be had at reasonable costs, provided you go with the old Hecho en Mexico angle- same wood as their American cousins, same pickups, and same workmanship. I have had a mex Tele for what seems like forever, and it's been solid as a rock and I think I paid 3oo beans for it new. You can't touch an epi les paul for that- but then again, I am definitely on the Fender side of the debate and I really don't like Gibsons.

good luck though
[FONT=Times New Roman]The rich get richer til the poor get educated.[/FONT]
-Sage Francis
# 8
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/07/2005 10:04 pm
yep, I totally agree, my main recording strat is a TexMex California series and it is great !!

I payed a little over 500 bucks for it second hand (three years ago) and have never considered selling it.

Worth every buck !

It is not a PRS or a LP but that is OK 'cos I want it to sound like a strat !!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.