greetings and salutations

paradyme
paradyme
02/01/2005 5:20 am
Hey everybody,

I'm Rob. I was reading through some of the theory lessons on here as well as some of the discussions earlier, and I definitely have to give all of you folks respect. There are some tremendous resources here, by what I've read, very diverse styles and influences as well as some generally cool players.

I've been playing in bands for about 9 years now, and I am a self-taught guitarist. I've plateaued a bit and I think if I can learn some of the underlying theory behind the instrument, I can unlock it and truly make some creative and hopefully good sounds. Overall, it has taken me too long to realize that soul and feeling are important, but they aren't the whole picture- discipline, practice, and patience are crucial as well. I see some amazing resources here which I know will help me very much and what I know, I will me happy to share with other players as well. I definitely hope I can contribute to this community.

Peace
[FONT=Times New Roman]The rich get richer til the poor get educated.[/FONT]
-Sage Francis
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/01/2005 5:50 am
[font=trebuchet ms]Welcome, paradyme!

Judging by your first post, I'd say you've contributed already! A lot of our members are more enthusiastic than experienced, and I'm sure you can lend some needed perspective.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
paradyme
paradyme
02/01/2005 9:06 am
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings[font=trebuchet ms]Welcome, paradyme!

Judging by your first post, I'd say you've contributed already! A lot of our members are more enthusiastic than experienced, and I'm sure you can lend some needed perspective.[/font]

Right on! I definitely hope I can, but I have so much to learn as well, so I'm sure it'll be a give and take, but like a good jam session, give and take is what it's all about- so long as it's from the heart.

peace
-Sage Francis
# 3
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
02/01/2005 5:20 pm
Welcome aboard Paradyme. Enjoy your stay, and don't be a stranger in the forums.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/01/2005 5:36 pm
Hey Dude
welcome aboard !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5
Lori_B
Lori_B
02/01/2005 5:53 pm
Originally Posted by: paradyme
Overall, it has taken me too long to realize that soul and feeling are important, but they aren't the whole picture- discipline, practice, and patience are crucial as well.

I can totally relate... I learned guitar with all the therory and discipline. It too has taken me too long to realize that the soul and feeling was missing from my music. Being technically correct doesn't make for good music and neither does all feel with absolutely no structure.

Welcome!
# 6
paradyme
paradyme
02/01/2005 10:30 pm
Hey everyone, thank you for the warm welcome- I sincerely hope that I can add to this- Dr. Simon, man, I'm already reading and learning from your lessons, so thank you! Modes have always been a source of confusion for me, but I'm beginning to see the light!

This was a random find, but I am definitely spreading the name because this site is tremendous!

peace
-Sage Francis
# 7
paradyme
paradyme
02/01/2005 10:46 pm
Originally Posted by: Lori_BI can totally relate... I learned guitar with all the therory and discipline. It too has taken me too long to realize that the soul and feeling was missing from my music. Being technically correct doesn't make for good music and neither does all feel with absolutely no structure.

Welcome!

Thank you so much!
I suspect we'd be a dangerous rhythm/lead combination! (I'm calling shotgun on rhythm for the time being!) In any event, it probably depends on who you're listening to- I grew up listening to lots of blues and blues influenced guitarists, David Gilmour primarily. I unfortunately looked at some amazing musicians as being all technicals (Yngwie, Satriani, etc.), but no soul. I realized later that you need both.

The more I learn, the less I seem to have known, and the more playing the guitar seems to be somewhere between Zen and Jedi! :)
-Sage Francis
# 8
paradyme
paradyme
02/01/2005 10:51 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraWelcome to the boards! You sound as if you have a lot to offer, one heluva good first post! Enjoy your stay. :)

Right on. Thank you!
-Sage Francis
# 9
paradyme
paradyme
02/02/2005 2:25 am
So what kind of stuff are you folks into?

I started playing in a punk rock band back in the day (almost a decade ago!), but as I get older, I have started exploring ethnic music as well as the blues and jazz. Reggae, Phish, and jam bands in general have been the big areas of interest of late.

I have gotten lucky enough to play with a couple of experienced musicians- one was in a Ska band called the Agents and he is an amazing drummer, as well as a jazz bass player who has really challenged me to take my game up several notches.

That's the coolest thing I've seen in a way, get involved with people who are solid musicians and you almost can't help but improve just to hang with them.
Get with a sick rhythm section and lookout because crazy things will happen, but it's all good.

Anyway, just rambling away over here...

peace
-Sage Francis
# 10
Lori_B
Lori_B
02/02/2005 2:53 pm
Originally Posted by: paradymeI suspect we'd be a dangerous rhythm/lead combination!

I was thinking the same thing :)

As far as what I am into: Well, I started out playing only classical but recently have been playing a bit of rhythm for a couple of contemporary christian groups. One of which is going to be in the studio this march to put out a CD that is going to have all the proceeds go to a battered women's shelter. I'm also involved in a prison music ministry... On the side I have been jammin with a local guy who plays bluegrass and blues and I must say that has been quite cool and has really helped me get a feel for other styles... I don't really think I will continue to just play rhythm but it has been good for me to learn how to play with a group.... I am not sure what avenue I am going to take with my music and I don't want to limit myself to one style as I had before but I would definately say that I am really enjoying the blues.
# 11
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/02/2005 3:29 pm
Originally Posted by: Lori_B... I am not sure what avenue I am going to take with my music and I don't want to limit myself to one style as I had before but I would definately say that I am really enjoying the blues.
[font=trebuchet ms]Oh, yes... Sooner or later, we all come home to The Blues.[/font] :)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 12
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/02/2005 8:45 pm
Originally Posted by: paradymeReggae, Phish, and jam bands in general have been the big areas of interest of late.

Ah, yes, the freedom of jamming over two repeated chords.

I prefer the blues, rock, metal, jazz, classical, and funk. Although I have played with some fantastic jam band guys, and in fact my drummer is a jam band dude. Only problem that presents is when we have to write a song, and my drummer just prefers to jam around. But he doesn't complain about it, so more power to him.

Oh, yeah, and it's good to have someone on the boards who's grammar doesn't need constant tweaking. So welcome, dude!
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 13
paradyme
paradyme
02/02/2005 8:52 pm
Originally Posted by: Lori_BI was thinking the same thing :)

As far as what I am into: Well, I started out playing only classical but recently have been playing a bit of rhythm for a couple of contemporary christian groups. One of which is going to be in the studio this march to put out a CD that is going to have all the proceeds go to a battered women's shelter. I'm also involved in a prison music ministry... On the side I have been jammin with a local guy who plays bluegrass and blues and I must say that has been quite cool and has really helped me get a feel for other styles... I don't really think I will continue to just play rhythm but it has been good for me to learn how to play with a group.... I am not sure what avenue I am going to take with my music and I don't want to limit myself to one style as I had before but I would definately say that I am really enjoying the blues.

That's really cool- socially conscious and sounds pretty sweet as well. The only danger I would warn of is that once you play the blues, it will always come through your music. Not that it's a bad thing- my playing is very blues influenced.
-Sage Francis
# 14
paradyme
paradyme
02/02/2005 9:40 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonAh, yes, the freedom of jamming over two repeated chords.

I prefer the blues, rock, metal, jazz, classical, and funk. Although I have played with some fantastic jam band guys, and in fact my drummer is a jam band dude. Only problem that presents is when we have to write a song, and my drummer just prefers to jam around. But he doesn't complain about it, so more power to him.

Oh, yeah, and it's good to have someone on the boards who's grammar doesn't need constant tweaking. So welcome, dude!

Right on man, thank you! I am a bit of a writer as well, so I try to be as articulate as possible. Sounds like you have a great and diverse pallete to create from, which is cool. Our drummer was originally a Ska drummer, bassist is practically a disciple of Jaco Pastorius and a good one at that! So we probably are a more jazz influenced combo than jam suggests, but it is a blast to play with these guys.

Are you guys gigging?

peace
-Sage Francis
# 15
joshers
joshers
02/02/2005 9:59 pm
man just reading your post gave me an extra energy boost to play my guitar.

welcome and hope you can contribute through experience and knowledge, everyone here is constantly learning, thats the beauty about this website/forum, you can always improve.
# 16
paradyme
paradyme
02/02/2005 10:11 pm
Originally Posted by: joshersman just reading your post gave me an extra energy boost to play my guitar.

welcome and hope you can contribute through experience and knowledge, everyone here is constantly learning, thats the beauty about this website/forum, you can always improve.

It's like the guitar itself- easiest instrument to learn but one of the hardest to master- practice, practice, practice is the key! Anyway, I'm glad my babbling hooked it up! I hope I can share some knowledge- I could tell ya gigging horror stories for days, but in hindsight they're funny as hell.

peace
-Sage Francis
# 17
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/04/2005 6:50 am
Originally Posted by: paradymeI am a bit of a writer as well, so I try to be as articulate as possible.

Are you guys gigging?

Ha, what a coincidence, you're talking to an English major right now.

Sadly, no gigging is currently in giggination. I live in Maine (Colby College), and my bandmates live in Virginia.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 18
paradyme
paradyme
02/04/2005 7:06 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonHa, what a coincidence, you're talking to an English major right now.

Sadly, no gigging is currently in giggination. I live in Maine (Colby College), and my bandmates live in Virginia.

That means I will be less articulate of course- I was merely an English minor. Sorry to hear about the lack of gigs- we're working on originals (covers are fun but we need to explore our own sound as well). We're in the NE area as well (RI)- I think our bass player sat in with a funk band that played up near colby not too long ago... I can't remember the name of the band though.

What kind of stuff does your band do?

peace
-Sage Francis
# 19
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/04/2005 5:22 pm
Originally Posted by: paradymeWhat kind of stuff does your band do?

We do mostly rock and blues, but the occasional Jazz tune sneaks in. We play our own songs, and do a few covers. We also like to parody the writing style of other bands. For instance, we have a fake AC/DC song, a fake Metallica song, a fake Rhapsody song, etc. I can email you a couple tunes if you'd like.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.