strat or tele

indieman
indieman
01/28/2005 10:31 pm
hey im wondering would it be worth gettin a jappenese or a standard fender tele? and would it be better 2 get a tele or a strat as i want to play classic rock(no metal) and i want it 2 sound gd with distortion and gd with clean so im lookin for a guitar which is gd for just about anything!!!!!!!!!!!! any idea's guys?
# 1
SpeckledJim
SpeckledJim
01/28/2005 11:44 pm
both the tele and the strat sound good with or without distortion.
ive never played a japenese tele but i own an american series one and it sounds very good. if you play a more picking with your fingers i would go for the tele.
Fender telecaster (2004)
Ash body
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/29/2005 2:07 am
[font=trebuchet ms]Both are good. I suggest trying a few of them to see which is more comfortable to play.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/29/2005 2:12 am
You might want to think about the Mexican or Tex /Mex Strats & Teles. If you get a good one you are on to a winner and can save some serious bucks !

As ever, try the one you are going to pay for before you buy !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/29/2005 2:17 am
Sorry but I'm Gibson oriented. The stupid volume and treble pans are right below the frets so it makes doing hard strumming impossible.

Too bad cause I like the sound.
# 5
spanky10940
spanky10940
01/29/2005 2:53 am
I gotta jump in on this one... As they said, either is good but definetly try it before you buy it. I have a Mexi fat strat and I love it. But I will tell you that they had another in the store when I went to try an amp out and it didn't play ANYTHING at all like mine. A friend said the same of the tele's. The beautiful thing about them is that they are so versitale. You can play just about anything with them.

About the Gibsons. I do like them but some of the epi's, which are IN my price range, (another point) feel like plastic. Not all of them, mind you. I don't wanna go pissing off the Gibson crowd. They've got a good thing going on. But if I was to get a Gibson, I'd have to save and get the real thing. They're sooooo worth it.
"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 6
alucard0941
alucard0941
01/29/2005 3:56 am
I like this thread cause im a fender guy...

well not to be a nationalist, but I would choose the Strat. The sound is a bit warmer and not as twangy (though if you want twang, then pick the tele). Also the strat is a bit more versitle when it comes to overall playing. Both the Tele and the Strat sound goreous with clean, but Strats exel in drityness (IMO). Plus, this is a HORRIBLE reason to get a Strat, but they look better :cool:

You said you wanted to play classic rock. Any bands in particular? Zepplin, Cream, Who, Hendrix, ect?

I love all those band plus many more and they sound wonderful on my strat.
Though if your more blues oriented, then maybe the Tele would be a good choice.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 7
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
01/29/2005 4:59 am
Just to remind everyone teles can play anything. They don't have the same strengths as strats, but they're both good enough that the decision is going to have to come down to your own personal preferences.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 8
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
01/29/2005 6:15 am
I find Tele owners so much more "close" to their axe. I love the sound of Tele's. Don't care what its playing, I'll like the sound. I got one and its my #1.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 9
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
01/29/2005 7:06 am
Originally Posted by: Tele MasterI find Tele owners so much more "close" to their axe. I love the sound of Tele's. Don't care what its playing, I'll like the sound. I got one and its my #1.

I've heard someone describe their first time playing a tele as "like my fingers were happy little children bouncing on a trampoline."

That sounds like pretty high praise to me. Or high something.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 10
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
01/29/2005 9:57 am
The tele customs through musicians friend(and dual humbucker tele's in general)look pretty neat.Ive had experience with a warmoth tele and it played like poop.I imagine the REAL thing is much nicer.
Try once,fail twice...
# 11
rockonman
rockonman
01/30/2005 4:37 am
Sorry guys but I'm gonna go with the strat, I have one and I've played everything from chilled out blues to metal. It got even sweeter after I pulled out the bridge pickup and put in a Seymour Duncan Hotrails. Anyway strats have such a warm, smooth tone its unbelievable, but I'm a firm believer in "to each his own" so if you like the feel and sound of a tele better by all means go to it.
"Live your life while you have it. A life not lived is a life wasted, and a life wasted is unforgivable."
Tyler Wilkins
Feb 2003
# 12
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/30/2005 4:44 am
Make sure you get one with 24 frets. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to learn a lead and you can't hit the top two notes.
# 13
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/30/2005 6:05 am
Originally Posted by: schmangeMake sure you get one with 24 frets. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to learn a lead and you can't hit the top two notes.
[font=trebuchet]Now that is why there's more than one kind of guitar in the world.

{rant}
I don't use effects anymore, maybe a wah and an overdrive pedal, but usually just me, my guitar, and and my amp. And the fact is, a guitar sounds like **** once you get over the 16th or 17th fret. So, if you wanna dance on those upper frets, you best be loadin' a bunch of outboard gear into your signal chain, 'cause that ain't where the tone lives. Up there, you may as well be playin' a frickin' synthesizer!
{/rant}[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 14
paradyme
paradyme
02/02/2005 2:18 am
Originally Posted by: spanky10940I gotta jump in on this one... As they said, either is good but definetly try it before you buy it. I have a Mexi fat strat and I love it. But I will tell you that they had another in the store when I went to try an amp out and it didn't play ANYTHING at all like mine. A friend said the same of the tele's. The beautiful thing about them is that they are so versitale. You can play just about anything with them.

About the Gibsons. I do like them but some of the epi's, which are IN my price range, (another point) feel like plastic. Not all of them, mind you. I don't wanna go pissing off the Gibson crowd. They've got a good thing going on. But if I was to get a Gibson, I'd have to save and get the real thing. They're sooooo worth it.

The only thing I would raise is that Fender does make all their own instruments (Japanese, Mexican, Squier, etc., as far as I know) but Epiphones are made by Samick, so for the price tag, I'd probably go for a comparable Ibanez if you like the humbucker sound.

As a random side note if you haven't seen one yet, Squier makes a hybrid instrument called the Squier 51- The thing goes for $150 and is essentially a hybrid tele-jaguar. Best made Squier instrument I have ever seen- I guarantee that they put Fender's name on it and double the price. It has 1 neck single coil and 1 humbucker in the bridge position, but it has coil tapping so you can split the humbucker.

I had a Fender Strat and although I loved the sound of it, I HATE trems, and this thing has a hard tail instead of a fulcrum, which is cool, solid tuners, C shaped neck.

I still have a Mex-Tele, and this Squier eats it's lunch, I am sad to say. I would definitely suggest checking one out- they SMOKE, and I usually won't touch a squier with a 10m pole.

peace

p.s. hard decision. to me tele was more rugged and had a better sound, but the strat is the quintessential rock and roll guitar and is more versatile. If you go that route, get a real Fender one, not a Squier, but in Squier's defense, the 51 is one of the sickest little sleeper's of 2004.
[FONT=Times New Roman]The rich get richer til the poor get educated.[/FONT]
-Sage Francis
# 15
ake
ake
02/08/2005 6:47 am
Brand names don'really matter. Guitars are a lot like women; there are all kinds some of them are great but all of them are good. Go to the music store and play every thing in the store if you have too. And don't let some arrogant little salesman talk you into something jus because HE THINKS its cool. Maybe it won't be a strat or tele or LP or any name brand that you like.

Don't be a slave to fashion or logo. If it feels good and sounds good to you, that all that counts. You might even decide you dont want to play guitar at all but I doubt that.

Guitars save lives!!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power;we will know peace" J. Hendrix
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.