Help Me With A Song

THE SNAKE
THE SNAKE
01/25/2005 8:12 pm
Im in a band and just about the onlyone who can write songs. the problem i have is once i get the song going all the parts( chorus, into, outro, and solo) dont sound good together and i can get them to "connect" or flow into one another. I am shure to use chords and scales in the same key BUT WHAT IS MY PROBLEM. I also just cant get a really decent lead pattern going over the rythem Please help me out

# 1
Kutzki
Kutzki
01/26/2005 6:40 am
yo whats up snake
i have been writting since i have bein playing (3 years) and you may being around writting all wrong (i had a freind with the same problem)
u see my freind would write peices of music and just connect them

see he thought music is just ya know music

i explained to him you are making a masterpeice, a picture, if you will, and you cant connect pictures unless they were drawn with the same intent, style, technique and idea for each part of the picture stays and flows (i draw also hehe)

so when you start a song it has to be...ok lets take an example:
lets say you decide you wana write about a women
(for aguements sake just accept it ok)
k so maybe the beginning starts of happy since you got this awesome women as your gf or whatever

but then the next part goes into some minors and you say in the music;meaning the feel of the song is that:
you are having troubles with the girl

then the next part, 3rd part would be lets just say a chorus of that you hate her or whatnot

and then from there you have a song
cus you can go back to the intro or you can go to the second part of the song or even continue
it doesnt have to have three parts i just gave you a nice easy example
and you can even have a fast break there and have your solo or whatever like a minute and a half in

my freind was writting songs with no intention of were the song is even going (which also could be your problem)
you gotta know what the song represents what you are writting about
if you just got and put parts together its not always gonna flow since they werent written to be next to each other

i have made one song by putting peices together and the whole song is bass and guitar breaks with a steady drum beat in the back and a keyboard switching keys with the breaks but that was with the help of my band(which sadly broke up) so since its just you writting in your band i dont see how you can just make ya know peices and stick them together

so pretty much what i am telling you is you gotta invision (or whatever works parrallel to it) and figure out what you are gonna write in the song so when there is a shift it will make sence and flow since it was ment to be there
k man i hope this has been helpful and about the solo just take it slow
i used to have huge problems with written melodys for songs, sing the solo before playing it that also helps
the solo also has to fit the song you cant start tapping like a madman to like a acoustic finger-picking song
and if you can and make it sounds good...AMAZING!!!
(van halen does this during the "ice cream man" song hehe i dont think he finger picks but its still nutz)
k dude rock on :rolleyes:
When it comes down to it, our guitar's will always be there for us. :rolleyes:
# 2
Hamberg
Hamberg
01/26/2005 7:36 pm
Kutzki is definately right. However, your writing style is the same as mine. I am finding that by altering the end of a part, and the begainning of the next part can tie the two together sometimes. Sometimes I have to transpose parts (to the same key). Other times I have to alter many notes (harmony or melody or both.) Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. There was one really long meldoy that I wrote. I wanted to use it in a different song then the one it was in. After I made all the alterations to it to fit the song it sounded completely different, and much cooler then the original idea. I've had to simplify alot of ideas to make them work in harmony with other ideas. Also have you tried writing the lead pattern first, and then tighting the rhythm to the lead?
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 3
Re2point0
Re2point0
01/26/2005 8:21 pm
if your having trouble with the verse into chorus deal, try a intro to chorus riff for like 8 measures or whatever, that can build up the mood or bring it down ya know.

Like a simple picking clean guitar part for verse, then some powerchording into a heavy ass chorus.

Try to make sure your chorus' are catchy, people love catchy chorus'
# 4
Hamberg
Hamberg
01/27/2005 9:29 am
Do you have any suggestions for making a chorus catchy?
# 5
Re2point0
Re2point0
01/27/2005 7:15 pm
what makes a chorus catchy is the melody lines.

In the band I'm in we have two lead singers, me and a girl theresa

So the main focus in our origionals are melody lines.

I think to make a catchy chorus you need all parts of the chorus to be good

Guitar parts, bass parts, vocals, drums, everything

i think the key to a good verse, is having the bass drum and bass guitar play a similar pattern, and have the guitar follow the pattern too, but sorta slip in and outa the pattern at the end of 4 measures.

Just a way of thinking about it
# 6
Kutzki
Kutzki
01/28/2005 7:41 am
hey everyone i think what makes a chorus catchy is the words
i mean "keep in on rocken in the free world" you know those lyrics cus it means somethin to you
so its catchy
i dono the way i see it is that the words fit amazingly
i am a huge fan of not haven vocals but it can really be a great effect to have lyrics
k
laters buddys
When it comes down to it, our guitar's will always be there for us. :rolleyes:
# 7
Hamberg
Hamberg
01/28/2005 7:56 am
Knowing the lyrics are half the battle.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.