Neck Repair..

Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
01/24/2005 3:46 pm
Right.. I asked before.. but the same situation has arisen again.

I received a les paul with a snapped neck. Can I repair it myself? Its snapped in a hinge style way so it hinges back into place to fit perfectly. What type of glue should I use? Surely it cant be that difficult to repair by setting up some clamps, squeezing some glue in and then leaving it for a couple of days.

Has anyone here done this type of repair themselves?

If you think of it logically... its just a crack in a piece of wood that needs gluing.. lets forget its worth $1000!! :rolleyes:

# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/25/2005 5:32 pm
[font=trebuchet ms]Tsk, tsk. Still with those Gibsons, eh?

Well, take a look at this book by Dan Erlewine. After all these years, one would expect that Gibson would learn how to reduce this type of damage, but then, luthiers and repair shops would lose a lot of their business.

Good luck. This will soon become routine for you.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/25/2005 5:36 pm
I have that book and it is totally brilliant.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
01/26/2005 3:10 pm
I just sold it as is in the end. Yea Im still at it with gibsons. Got 12 right now!! Loads on ebay!

What happened is it was previously cracked then repaired. But then the guy shipped it without detuning it so it cracked in the post again!! :mad:
Still made around $200 on it plus i kept the case which Ill get another $150 for!
Im from the UK but put dollars cos most of you guys are in the states right?
# 4
russ20
russ20
08/21/2006 2:17 am
Originally Posted by: Axl_RoseRight.. I asked before.. but the same situation has arisen again.

I received a les paul with a snapped neck. Can I repair it myself? Its snapped in a hinge style way so it hinges back into place to fit perfectly. What type of glue should I use? Surely it cant be that difficult to repair by setting up some clamps, squeezing some glue in and then leaving it for a couple of days.

Has anyone here done this type of repair themselves?

If you think of it logically... its just a crack in a piece of wood that needs gluing.. lets forget its worth $1000!! :rolleyes:

I have used a product called "Tite Bond". you can pick it up in any hardware store, it was recommended to me by my piano tuner who also does guitar repair. It works great, follow the instructions on container. use good amount and clamp it for 30 to 40 minutes then take the clamp off and let it cure for 24 hours. I personally let mine cure for a few days then I sanded it repainted it strung it up and it holds great. If you really want to make sure you can drill a couple 1/8 inch holes perpendicular to the break and use some hard wood dowel with the same glue to glue them in. make sure the woodgrain in the dowel is crossways to the angle of the break. good luck
# 5
ren
ren
08/21/2006 11:21 am
I've repaired a few broken necks in my time, and the type of glue you'd use depends on where the break is. For almost all repairs, a bog standard wood glue will work fine - the glue will be stonger than the wood ever was. If it's broken around the nut, I'd use epoxy resin to make sure, just because you haven't got as much wood (and therefore surface area) to apply the glue to.

I've repaired numerous Ibanez Wizard type necks with ordinary wood glue from homebase and never had a problem, although you'd still need to declare the repair on ebay or face the possibility of an unhappy customer...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.