Need suggestions for live use.

Shadowborn
Shadowborn
01/24/2005 9:38 am
Hi. Before I jump into things here, I would like to let you know that I have never wrote in to a forum before, so I hope I'm in the right area here. I liked the look of this site and joined up yesterday. So hopefully I can gain some knowledge here from those more experienced in certain areas.
Well anyway........here is my question. My band has recently wrote a number of songs that included piano, string, etc.. We would love to incorporate these segments live, as they would add so much depth to the songs. But the problem is..........we are a five piece metal band that does not include a keyboard player. We have discussed the possibility of adding another member, but decided against it for various reasons. These segments are more for atmosphere at various points in the music, such as during the chorus, and for intros, etc.. What would be a reliable and efficient way for us to include these sounds into a live set without adding an additional member? Would a sampler be my answer? I have never used them (unless you would consider my DR-5 drum machine in that catergory). Any suggestions you may have would be greatly apprieciated. Thanks.
If eyes are the mirror to the soul, you will see yourself as I see you
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/24/2005 10:20 am
It depends on how complicated you want to make things and how good you want the final sound to be.
The easiest thing to do would be to get a guitar synth. Hook it up so that you can use a foot pedal to adjust the volume between your guitar and the synth and fade in the synth sounds as you play.
If you add a sampler via midi, you can easily add real strings or any other sounds you want too.

If you want to get more involved, go the MIDI route. That way you can have a computer play all the keyboard parts in time with the band. All you need to do is have your drummer get used to playing to a click and program in all the keyboard parts ahead of time. At the same time you can have the computer control the patches on your multi-effects pedal and the lighting if you have the right equipment.
The major drawback though is you have to learn how to use recording software and spend a lot of time pre-programming everything.
# 2
Shadowborn
Shadowborn
01/24/2005 8:22 pm
Thanks for the info. I appreciate you taking the time to help out.
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/24/2005 9:04 pm
I can think of a couple of options.

The first and simplest is to use something like a Boss Loop station pedal.
REcord your strings on a computer and then transfer them to the loop station plugged into the house PA. When you want the sounds you turn the pedal on when you want shot of them turn the pedal off.

Another possibility it to use a Multitrack recorder like a Korg D1200. You record the bits of orchestration onto the D1200 which you feed into the PA and turn the D1200 on and off using a foot switch.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4
Shadowborn
Shadowborn
01/26/2005 2:29 am
Appreciate the info.
# 5
SPL
SPL
01/26/2005 3:04 am
Easiest way to go is to get a small digital multi-track recorder.

Track 1 = synth left
Track 2 = synth right
Both of these are sent to the PA system.

Track 3 = click/drumtrack
This last one is sent to the drummer through headphones or in-ears... if the drummer prefers tracks 1 and 2 can be added also.

A lot of bands do this when they use pre-recorded backing tracks while playing live.

This does require your drummer to be able to play along to a click track. If he's not capable of doing that, I see no other solution than getting a keyboard player.
# 6
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/26/2005 3:08 am
...just don't let anybody know or you'll be accused of being a Milli Vanilli cover band
# 7
fastelvis
fastelvis
01/26/2005 5:31 am
There's a band in KC, the Zero's, that has this rip down. Mixing in samples of loops from 80's punk hits, from string intro's to backup vocals. All the members wear an ear monitor that feeds a click track and provides some monitor feedback. Sound is full and consistently level, provided via a loop station (I think) and their trusty sound man (I know). Lights are programmed in as well. All this is run on a compact 24 CH board and an 8 banker for lights. Guitarist is on a POD amp and modeler. Fun little 3 piece band that can set up inside 30 minutes.

Everyone knows they're stealing from the rich to give to the poor, but know one really cares. With six beers in you and a half naked coed on you, it's all about the groove.

The guitarist cooks at a nearby pub. I'll try to get the specifics for you.
I once thought a "Sweeping Arpeggio" was an Italian janitor.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.