View post (New pop bands)

View thread

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/26/2001 11:21 pm
Less hype-driven stuff like Blues and Jazz have always been bubbling along under the surface. Every once in a while, some exec from The Biz gets tired of the usual dreck, and people like Kenny Wayne Shepherd are 'suddenly' discovered.

From a marketing standpoint, the only difference to The Biz, is the amount of push applied to the product.

I'm sorry to tell you the truth about the Tooth Fairy, but talent has less to do with it than drive. If you really want to make it BIG, then you gotta buy into making music as a business.

Even Michaelangelo and Da Vinci had patrons who paid for their work. The patrons often made demands on the artists to do a particular kind of work. Even the Sistine Chapel ceiling was (more or less) made-to-order.

If ya wanna play music 'cause ya LOVE it, thas' OK.

If your chops catch the attention of The Big Guys, you'll have to decide whether you want to turn a perfectly good hobby into a job.

Meanwhile, keep singin'; keep playin'; an' try to remember why it's called playin'.

I'd like to hear from Lee the Vee on this topic. I have the feeling he's seen this from just about every side there is. Hey, Lee! How 'bout it?

Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons