joining a band

6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/17/2005 11:34 pm
I'm not sure if this is the right board to post this under but anyways. yeah I've been playing guitar for almost 6 months now (the time went by fast!) and my church's senior high worship band is looking for an electric guitarist mainly for playing power chords. I'm fairly sure they just want a rythem guitarist and not someone who is gonna bust out solos in the middle of the song... right now they already have 3 acoustic guitar players (one is pretty good, the others are so-so), 1 keyboard, 1 bongo player (lol), 3 female singers, and 2 male singers. so it's a pretty strange band... anyway, although I'm fairly confident in my power chords, and I know every major and minor chord in both open and barre chord positions, but that's pretty close to all that I know! what sort of things do you think I should learn for my current situation. do you think I should learn scales, learn to read music... although I'm not sure I'll need much than what I already know, I've always been like an overachiever. :D
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 1
Re2point0
Re2point0
01/18/2005 2:58 am
hey man,

If I were you I'de ask them what they expect from you, (whether they expect you to do some solo's or just want you do do what you can). If I were you I'de practice all I can none the less. I pull a 99 in band at my school. and I ask my teacher "why cant you give me that one extra point", and she says "there's always rom for improvement, and no matter were you are in life, there's someone who better than you at what you do". So my advice to you is "no matter what they expect from you, be the best you can.......

sorta deep but, i love the music :D
# 2
killerqueen
killerqueen
01/18/2005 3:18 pm
start playing the chords then rip into a metallica solo... see if thats what theyre looking for :D
Elvis Lives (in my basement)
# 3
hammetthead13
hammetthead13
01/18/2005 7:42 pm
try learning scales. i would say this is important as if they do actually want a bit of improvisation over the top, then your be ready and armed to do so.
My amp is a weapon of mas DISTORTION!!!!
# 4
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/18/2005 8:51 pm
yeah thanks, i know a few scales, and I bought this poster at wal-mart listing a whole bunch of scales, I just haven't really spent much time on trying to learn them yet. I'm going to their practice on thursday so I got a few days to practice. it's good thing I'm a fast learner!
my spyspace
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/18/2005 9:00 pm
The only thing you need to start with are minor pentatonic scales.

There are any number of lessons on this site telling you all about them !

Don't forget to look in the "lessons" section. Jon wrote some great lessons describing pentatonic scales.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 6
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
01/19/2005 5:10 pm
I am a FIRM believer that you should be able to read music... if you aren't you are only doing half your job...it's like trying to drink a soda, and being too lazy to open the top... so get some theory and learn to read... especially sight read.
Also... learn to read charts... a lot of people find them a whole lot easier then actually writing out note after note...
Learn Chord construction... When you get that then worry about soloing and improvisation..I mean you gotta know the rules before you can break the rules...
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 7
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
01/19/2005 9:32 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsright now they already have 3 acoustic guitar players (one is pretty good, the others are so-so), 1 keyboard, 1 bongo player (lol), 3 female singers, and 2 male singers. so it's a pretty strange band

3 acoustics, eh? That seems like a bit of overkill. Usually with bands like that it just sounds like a muddy mess, unless of course you have a soundman who knows what he's doing.

What they probably want you to do is hang back on the verses, and then come in on the choruses with some powerchords and riffs. What I like to do in bands like that is keep it on the clean patch on the verses, and do some chording and small fills. Then on the chorus or wherever the song picks up, come ripping in with massive distortion. :)
# 8
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/19/2005 11:29 pm
Originally Posted by: Christoph3 acoustics, eh? That seems like a bit of overkill. Usually with bands like that it just sounds like a muddy mess, unless of course you have a soundman who knows what he's doing.

What they probably want you to do is hang back on the verses, and then come in on the choruses with some powerchords and riffs. What I like to do in bands like that is keep it on the clean patch on the verses, and do some chording and small fills. Then on the chorus or wherever the song picks up, come ripping in with massive distortion. :)

yeah 3 acoustics... it does seem like overkill but I'm pretty sure only one is plugged into an amp (the one that is a good player) then again I think only one maybe two of them are acoustic-electrics. then again it isn't that big of a room and only playing for about 30-50 people. and they do have some kind of sound equipment, not sure if anybody ever works it or if they just put it to one setting and left it there.

as for the other thing you said, yes I would have to agree. maybe put my volume pedal to good use! :D
my spyspace
# 9
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/21/2005 8:37 am
ok so I got back from their practice where I pretty much stood around. he was trying to explain to me what he wanted me to do. he wants me to play with overdrive and play lead? I think it's lead, I'm supposed to be playing single notes and picking, not strumming, or power chords that compliment the acoustic chords being played. when I told them I didn't know any scales they didn't really care, they just told me to play around and find something that sounds good and compliments the songs being played, then they gave me some cds for me to play along to at home. hee hee. does anyone know any tips on tricking your parents into paying for lessons for you? lol
my spyspace
# 10
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
01/22/2005 12:07 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsdoes anyone know any tips on tricking your parents into paying for lessons for you? lol

Tell them that kids/people who play music tend to do better in school, get better grades, etc. I don't know if it's true or not, but it's what I've heard, and your parents will probably buy it.
# 11
Hamberg
Hamberg
01/24/2005 5:54 am
You guys should alternate playing bass. Playing bass will make each of you a better guitar player. Just keep your egos in check and don't permanetly stick one of your members on the bass if he doesn't want to. Everyone in my band except the drummer has been the regular bass player in the band at sometime or another.
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 12
Hamberg
Hamberg
01/24/2005 5:55 am
Originally Posted by: ChristophTell them that kids/people who play music tend to do better in school, get better grades, etc. I don't know if it's true or not, but it's what I've heard, and your parents will probably buy it.

I don't know about that myself. It is true however that music is mathmatical.
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 13
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
01/24/2005 5:58 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonDon't forget to look in the "lessons" section. Jon wrote some great lessons describing pentatonic scales.

I seem to remember you having a few excellent lessons on your section as well, since you seem to refuse to advertise youself!
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.