View post (Need New Guitar)

View thread

rooster
rooster
01/22/2005 7:57 am
Originally Posted by: Homebrew1709Ive said it before and ill say it again: Carvin...Neck-thru, 'nuff said!

OK, I know everyone's going to scream and be choked at me for saying this, but I honestly believe Gibson's to be the most overpriced instrument on the market. Not that I don't like them, I own an old Black Beauty, a Goldtop as well as a Country Gent, but they are huge money for what they are. For $2000.00 cad (and that is real entry level Gibson), you're into some pretty serious guitar's for competition. I've been gigging and teaching for over 20 years, and have owned a million guitars (it seems like), and to this day my favorite is still my G&L asat classic. Playing is my living, and I mean this guitar I will drag out to any show: country, blues, rock, metal, jazz. It doesn't matter. It always sounds great. With the range of effects these days you can make a $200.00 korean piece of crap sound great in a pinch. (I apologize to anyone who loves $200.00 Korean pieces of crap...) As long as the neck suits you, nothing else matters really. My advice to my students when they're always hitting me up to tell them what guitar to buy is pick the one that feels right in your hands. This is all a matter of personal taste, so just go and play them, and pick the one that feels the best. It's an easy decision really. To be honest, most electrics I've purchased I've never even plugged in before I bought them. You've got to enjoy playing it, and if you do it will inspire you to play more and more. That should be first and foremost. Sorry for babbling. Enjoy your new gear.