what happind to the good old days

01/12/2005 4:29 am
what happind to the songs about rockin out, geting wasted, or just playin
your guitar. it seems like now everyone always trys to sound so deep by
puting so many metophers in there songs you dont even get what there
tryin to say and everyone always singing about how they hate there parents
or how depressed they are or how the world is pressureing them so much
just non stop wineing. what happind to the way people used to write songs?
:confused:

P.S. please excuse the spelling
rock & roll ant muisic
its a way of life
:cool:
# 1
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
01/12/2005 6:05 am
I don't know, but no one will ever be satisfied if you're looking at it that way. I mean its either "too deep and clever" or "brain dead." I'd rather listen to a song though, that you can tell that the person actually thought about and didn't just spill pointless cliche's and what not.

# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/12/2005 7:47 am
Originally Posted by: 1791what happind to the songs about rockin out, geting wasted, or just playin
your guitar?...
[font=trebuchet ms]I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but dude the party's over! The best songs tell stories about things you actually do or have done. And it's just not cool anymore to get wasted. So tellin' everyone how much **** you did last night just doesn't make it anymore.

I've been there, n' done that, and at the ripe old age of 52 I can look back and almost remember what happened. But a lot of the people I used to party with aren't around to nostalgize with. Dyin' ****ed up ain't cool. And about the only good thing to come out of the rap-polution that took over the airwaves is the widespread realization that these goofs is all [u]seriously[/u] ****ed-up!

These days people look at Aerosmith and Motely Crue and suddenly the party-hard bunch look like losers.

Back in the day, my homies said that "Reality is for people that can't handle drugs!" :D

We were right about that. What we didn't understand is there's nothing heroic, or even special, about getting wasted. I mean, look up "wasted" in a dictionary. It's more true than dopers want to admit.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
01/12/2005 5:04 pm
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings[font=trebuchet ms]We were right about that. What we didn't understand is there's nothing heroic, or even special, about getting wasted. I mean, look up "wasted" in a dictionary. It's more true than dopers want to admit.[/font]

Looks like you beat me to the speech man. Yeah, there can still be fun songs about rock and roll (See: "Call Me Up to Rock You"), that don't involve constantly being wasted. See "The Darkness," "Jet," or "Velvet Revolver" for this kind of music.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 4
01/12/2005 11:30 pm
i get that im just saying it seams like almost everyone has lost the spirt of
rockin roll but i guess its just the changing times.
actully when i wrote that i just got done looking at some of the songs
people have posted on here and couldn't understand half of them and the
rest i just didnt like
rock & roll ant muisic
its a way of life
# 5
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
01/13/2005 12:17 am
PSH.... you obviously haven't seen Giant Fighting Robot. Geez... just get out of here. :p

# 6
kriszenith
kriszenith
01/14/2005 12:56 am
Hi guys the fact there is people here questioning whatever happened to the good old days means there is an undercurrent waiting to rise. How many times have we heard rock is dead in the press, and then it just comes back stronger than ever before. I believe the most important thing when you write a song is that you were sincere, you know someone connecting with the tune recognises you have something to say and you really mean it, if it doesn't fit this criteria my perspective is that its a weak song. This doesn't mean all good tunes have to be deppressing and serious but it can be, humour, irony, surrealism, metaphors, being iconic howtever you want it, just do it with passion I say. I feel nowadays there is too many shoegazer bands outhere coldplay, Keane, travis, stereophonics etc and not enough real musicians being allowed to come through, as the majority of people have been fed this garbage since the post Nirvana days of the nineties and it has been portrayed as almost embarrassing to be able to play your guitar properly since this time as if this is hip, oh thats right they call it being alternative. The industry looked at Nirvana and the success and signed up dozens of DIY student-esq rock bands, bit like the punk days and thats what teenagers have had for the past decade, this meant real guitar players writers and proper production was seen as a taboo. I tell you what though great bands like The Hendrix experience, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, GNR, Zappa, the Who and many more are being discovered by more and more young music fans all the time, people who like to party, take a smoke and a good drink etc and I believe sooner or later quality will be back because there will be young guns wanting to emulate these guys, it may start as an underground scene where you really have to be able to play real tight and real well and then explode again on to the main stream, but ultimately change will come with dissatisfaction. A big problem as well is that much of the music industry is run by old dinosaurs/ ex addicts who think their era is a by gone time, a golden era. Just cause they tell us there will never be anyone as good as such n such again does that mean as the youth of today we have to believe it. Young people should claim their culture, if its not happening make it happen and stick two fingers upto every dinosaur that believes no real quality can ever come again, it is outhere they just have to sign it.
# 7
01/14/2005 4:11 am
Originally Posted by: kriszenithHi guys the fact there is people here questioning whatever happened to the good old days means there is an undercurrent waiting to rise. How many times have we heard rock is dead in the press, and then it just comes back stronger than ever before. I believe the most important thing when you write a song is that you were sincere, you know someone connecting with the tune recognises you have something to say and you really mean it, if it doesn't fit this criteria my perspective is that its a weak song. This doesn't mean all good tunes have to be deppressing and serious but it can be, humour, irony, surrealism, metaphors, being iconic howtever you want it, just do it with passion I say. I feel nowadays there is too many shoegazer bands outhere coldplay, Keane, travis, stereophonics etc and not enough real musicians being allowed to come through, as the majority of people have been fed this garbage since the post Nirvana days of the nineties and it has been portrayed as almost embarrassing to be able to play your guitar properly since this time as if this is hip, oh thats right they call it being alternative. The industry looked at Nirvana and the success and signed up dozens of DIY student-esq rock bands, bit like the punk days and thats what teenagers have had for the past decade, this meant real guitar players writers and proper production was seen as a taboo. I tell you what though great bands like The Hendrix experience, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, GNR, Zappa, the Who and many more are being discovered by more and more young music fans all the time, people who like to party, take a smoke and a good drink etc and I believe sooner or later quality will be back because there will be young guns wanting to emulate these guys, it may start as an underground scene where you really have to be able to play real tight and real well and then explode again on to the main stream, but ultimately change will come with dissatisfaction. A big problem as well is that much of the music industry is run by old dinosaurs/ ex addicts who think their era is a by gone time, a golden era. Just cause they tell us there will never be anyone as good as such n such again does that mean as the youth of today we have to believe it. Young people should claim their culture, if its not happening make it happen and stick two fingers upto every dinosaur that believes no real quality can ever come again, it is outhere they just have to sign it.

well said man. i hope your right
:)
rock & roll ant muisic
its a way of life
# 8
Trifecta
Trifecta
01/18/2005 11:16 pm
i agree, i mean i think Korn was a very original band with there own sound and john davis had his own problems, but a whole ****load of band tried following the "i hate my parents" deal and then came staind, papa roach and now these bands like 3-days grace and ****. velvet revolver was cool kuz they brought back that last rock n roll wave but there **** got old quick. i write for a band now and im tryin to work the rock n roll feel into a modern style of music. its good to know someone else hears the **** i hear.

pat
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.