Bloody Singers!!

jaslamka
jaslamka
02/23/2005 4:17 am
I don't know how many of you have heard of the counrty singer Micky Gillie.
He's the guy that had the club Gillies, in the urban cowboy movie.(real club though) Well in the late 80's I was in a band with his son greg. He couldn't sing, he couldn't play, but he had all this cool gear. We all got to use his stuff. Huge P.A., like the ones you would use to play a big arena, we each got two full stacks of marshalls, and the drummer had a giant drumset, all courtesy of the little rich kid. The point is, if he ain't got the gear, kick him out. Well from my experience kick him out anyway. If he insists on playing guitar, and he sucks, you'll be better off in the long run. Find someone who put the good of the band first, not his own ego!
*Les Paul FREAK*
# 1
KRUNO
KRUNO
03/09/2005 8:21 pm
Stand up together and play few solos. Whoever plays it better, he should play lead. And that"s the end of the story. Try it like that. It si the only fair way. If you are better, and he is still boring, well... a man"s gotta do wha a man"s gotta do.
# 2
killerqueen
killerqueen
03/09/2005 9:49 pm
Originally Posted by: KRUNO well... a man"s gotta do wha a man"s gotta do.

which is??.... :confused:
Elvis Lives (in my basement)
# 3
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
03/09/2005 10:04 pm
Did you ever solve this problem?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 4
killerqueen
killerqueen
03/09/2005 10:30 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonDid you ever solve this problem?

nope not really... i'm just being terribly british at the moment and avoiding him like the plague
# 5
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/09/2005 10:43 pm
Originally Posted by: killerqueenthe thing is, he's really not a very good guitarist... he only started about 6 months ago! i appreciate that he wants to play, but he just cant do the stuff we're doing, he's just not good enough to play lead, and (trying not to sound too bigheaded) i CAN do all the solos and had the songs worked out for playing live with 1 guitar, so we dont even really need a second guitar!!![/QUOTE]
Look, if he's not that good then the rest of the band CAN'T have not noticed (not if they're any good, anyway).

You're going to have to have a band meeting and you're going to have to put your foot down. Sooner rather than later. I think the bottom line is that you've been in the band longer, you can DO the guitar work and he can't, and the rest of the band should have your back.

If all goes well, let me start sharing some of the lead work as he gets better. If it doesn't -- well, he's not the only person out there who can sing.

[QUOTE=killerqueen]nope not really... i'm just being terribly british at the moment and avoiding him like the plague

You know, back during the Cold War, the Soviets strung a series of floating buoys across the North Atlantic to listen for submarines. While my country's navy was busy trying to decide how to slip by them, the Royal Navy used them for target practice.

Be that kind of British about it.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/09/2005 10:49 pm
Originally Posted by: killerqueennope not really... i'm just being terribly british at the moment and avoiding him like the plague
[font=trebuchet ms]That's really hard to do in a band. Not to mention counterproductive.

Hairbandrkr has it right. Either suck it up, play the rhythm bits and collect your checque, (Music shouldn't be reduced to 'a job'), or lay it on the line and convince the rest of the band that your chops are worthy, and the singer should stick to chewing on the microphone.

You can't do both. And ignoring him will [u]not[/u] make him go away.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 7
killerqueen
killerqueen
03/09/2005 10:51 pm
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovLook, if he's not that good then the rest of the band CAN'T have not noticed (not if they're any good, anyway) .

yeah they all complain about it... but wont ever back me up! i'm on the look out for a new band, i'm just really annoyed that i've put all the work in to arrange things etc and i'm being forced out because people are all either power mad or too flaky to back me up.
i know that if i bring it up with him alone they'll take his side because he's a bit more... how should i say... dramatic, than me, and everyone just wants a quiet life.

ugh... people :rolleyes:
# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/09/2005 10:51 pm
Originally Posted by: Raskolnikov... You know, back during the Cold War, the Soviets strung a series of floating buoys across the North Atlantic to listen for submarines. While my country's navy was busy trying to decide how to slip by them, the Royal Navy used them for target practice.

[font=trebuchet ms]Hear, hear![/font] :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 9
killerqueen
killerqueen
03/09/2005 10:54 pm
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovYou know, back during the Cold War, the Soviets strung a series of floating buoys across the North Atlantic to listen for submarines. While my country's navy was busy trying to decide how to slip by them, the Royal Navy used them for target practice.

LOL! well said! i shall go and buy some explosives
# 10
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/09/2005 11:01 pm
Originally Posted by: killerqueenLOL! well said! i shall go and buy some explosives

[font=trebuchet ms]There ya go! A proper Semtex Suppository should put him right![/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 11
crazywolf
Samson
crazywolf
Samson
03/10/2005 3:59 am
I can't really relate to you or offer any words of wisdom to you since I play drums in my band.....but I can help you find some doorknobs.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5961671774

{Editor's note: repaired the vB url code.}
1 Peter 2:16
# 12
KRUNO
KRUNO
03/11/2005 6:18 pm
Originally Posted by: killerqueenwhich is??.... :confused:

Beat the living s**t outta him.
# 13
kingdavid
kingdavid
03/12/2005 5:13 pm
This thread reminds me of why I keep saying that forming a band is abit like getting married, only there's no sex in the former.
The emotion, the chemistry, the understanding, the whole jelling together thing.
# 14
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
03/12/2005 5:35 pm
Originally Posted by: kingdavidThis thread reminds me of why I keep saying that forming a band is abit like getting married, only there's no sex in the former.

And from what I hear, the latter!

I'll be here all week!
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 15
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
04/02/2005 10:59 pm
Originally Posted by: killerqueenhi.
i recently started a band with a singer, guitar, bass, drums set up and things were going fine...
but under my nose the singer has been playing more and more lead stuff and is sticking me on rhythm (which i find really boring). now it turns out (according to the bassist) that he plans to play lead as well as sing. :mad:
i'm very annoyed!!! now i get the feeling i'm gonna be stuck playing chords and being bored out of my mind the whole time :( .
has this happened to anyone else?
what should i do (short of whacking him over the head with my guitar)?

I had almost the same exact problem but it wasnt said or anything but it was happening , kind of,and it was annoying and the band didnt really work out
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?
# 16
shopdog
shopdog
04/04/2005 1:19 am
Bored with playing rhythm? How can any guitarist that is lucky enough to have a good drummer, bass player, maybe even percussion all playing rhythm('s) in a tight, razor sharp unity feel like there's nothing to do? Your main consideration could very well be simply making them sound better. Just so happens that it's our job!

Precise tasty rythm chops are one of [U]the most important[/U] aspects of playing something and making it sound musical.
Think of all the great little fills and in-between licks that add such class to even the most mundane arrangements. Thats the real ****.
Playing a rhythm contrary to , against the grain as it were, at the proper point in the tune, can make a small band, even a trio, sound huge! Great technique to master. And everybody just about does it sooner or later.
Playing around inside and through with triadic displacement/ substitution can be so much fun it maksd stock single line soloing seem dull! :rolleyes:
# 17
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
04/04/2005 1:26 am
o ya, i wasnt getting bored of rhythym or anything, i love it, its pretty stupid when people say rhythym is boring because there are so many things you can do with it. and there would be no good songs wihtout it.
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?
# 18
SpeckledJim
SpeckledJim
04/06/2005 7:19 pm
Well i dont know if this story is full a s**t but i heard that carlos satana had a similar problem over who was going to be lead guitar in one of his bands, so he took the guyout to an alley to have a word with him and then shot him.
even if it isnt true it might not be a bad idea.

or you just challange him to duel (guitar duel)
Fender telecaster (2004)
Ash body
# 19
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/06/2005 9:55 pm
Originally Posted by: SpeckledJimWell i dont know if this story is full a s**t but i heard that carlos satana had a similar problem over who was going to be lead guitar in one of his bands, so he took the guyout to an alley to have a word with him and then shot him...
[font=trebuchet ms]hmm... musta' been before he got religion...[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.