View post (Stuck in a rut)

View thread

kriszenith
kriszenith
01/13/2005 11:57 pm
Thanks for that bit of advice, much apprreciated, just wondered if you had any thoughts on the other stuff I said, you know is this maybe where the ability to improvise comes in for most players. I know for someone like Slash he's been quoted as saying he plays his parts however he feels, is this because he can't be bothered to learn and memorise some of his longer runs, yet within the song structure he keeps the signature riffs and licks because these are the parts that got stuck in his head and are esentiall. I guess I 'm kind of saying is some of what we hear, he would always play live because the audience expects this,meaning signature licks/riffs, and the rest is improvised to create spontaneaty and exceitement in the live arena. I just want to know really if the majority of people going out playing a classic rock tune in their hometown area, usually learn to play the original structure the signature licks with improvisation when it comes to long complex runs or do most people covering songs at a smaller level take the time to perfect the original runs on record? If you don't happen to know generally speaking how would you approach this if you intended to go out and play some classic rock covers?