help with hum

metalfaithfull
metalfaithfull
01/05/2005 4:27 am
Hi , recantly i got this great carrying case i decided to make into a pedal board
i drilled holes and put the guitar in and out jacks at both ends a soldered the guitar cord to it.(i cut the end off of two pedal conector cords and then used the cut end to attach it to the jack) i have a good solid connection with no crackling or tone defininacies exept a low volume hum that iv never had before
ive tried variuse different connection methods but i still have the hum. any help would be awsome.
# 1
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
01/05/2005 1:51 pm
Is the case metal?.......
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/05/2005 1:56 pm
You might want to make sure the power for the pedals and the power for the amp come of the same grounded power strip.

Are their a lot of fluorescent lights / CRT TVs/ Computer monitors where you play ?
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
01/05/2005 8:19 pm
Originally Posted by: metalfaithfull ... exept a low volume hum that iv never had before.

I've had this exact experience with bad cables , and it disapears when you plug into good or new ones.

I haven't thoroughly inspected that (I just throw the cables and get new ones instead) , but I believe it should have something to do with very slightly touching of the two wires of the cable at some point of its length , so then lowering the resistance between the two wires from a practical infinity compared to short circuit at full volume , to a finite value compared with the corresponding value of the higher resistance you put in when you lower the volume.

Anyway , if you have a multimeter that can measure resistors up to hundreds Mega Ohms , check out the resistance between the two conductors of the stuff you made , and compare them to a good working cable (if it's a very good cable , you may not be able to measure it's resistance , due to it's very high value).
If you found less resistance , buy new jacks and stuff , and redo your job more accurately next time.... And I hold copyrights for this theory . :p
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.