View post (No theory)

View thread

Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
01/05/2005 1:52 am
I know virtually no theory. All I know is from what Ive learnt from playing songs by guns n roses, metallica, motley crue, Lynyrd Skynyrd etc.
I loosely know the pattern of the major/minor scale on the fret board but I couldnt say which are the root notes etc.

When I learn a song I never learn solos note for note anymore.. I guess them because through experience I can hear whats going on.

Anyway... today I was playing and recording myself. On the song "Loving the Alien" by Velvet revolver, theres a bridge before the main solo. But eager to get into some lead playing I started soloing over the bridge, planning to continue onto the actual solo.

The first chord of the bridge is D so I just went for D-major scale and concentrated around the 7th to 10th frets. I played it back and what I had played was amazing. I used my wah as a filter and slapped the toggle switch to the treble position and man just these instantaneous notes and bends I played sounded unreal. If it was on the record it might even be your favourite solo!!

My point is, lol, I just checked out some lessons on this site and man its heavy stuff. It could take a life time to understand it all. Then theres me.. I no nothing yet I can play very well.

Am I a fool for just doing what Im doing? I hear you guys saying about modes n all that but take slash... he just uses the same patterns in all his solos n hes the best in the business at rock/pop music.

The same thing happened with the song "slither" by velvet revolver. I never once looked at the tab for the solo yet I picked up my guitar and could hear he was doing bends on the 13th fret... pulling off onto the 10th.. then bends on the 15th pulling off onto the 13th... then doing a massive bend on the 15th!! Then the rest of the solo was a classic pentatonic riff that he does a lot.

So... is it ok to do this... avoid theory. Or is it gona come back to haunt me?