Getting guitar redone, need lots of help!

GuitarSean
GuitarSean
12/29/2004 12:41 am
I am getting my guitar totally redone and I need some help. I have an ESP EC-50. A pretty good 200$ guitar but I am getting to the point where I want something better. Instead of getting a new guitar I was going to spend them money I would on a new guitar and beef mine up instead.
I was thinking about getting all chrome hardware (basically anything that is not chrome... would then be chrome) and a lime green paint job. I already know I am going to do that. But about the tuner keys... I have seen locking ones... Do those work? Or do the lockers that you put on the first fret work better? Also... since it's a LP style... how can I put fine tuners on it? I have only seen Strat style guitar fine tuners...

About pickups... I am looking at some sites and what not, but I don't get all the lingo they use. What does DC resistance mean? What does output mean? I have a general idea but am still in the dark. I know nothing about guitars right now... I have only been playing 6 months+ and only know how to play at this point.
Thanks in advance for help.
# 1
GuitarSean
GuitarSean
12/29/2004 12:53 am
Also... What is the difference between Soapbars, a regular humbucker, a minibucker? And what are the pros and cons of active pickups? WHat are the main differences compared to really pickups?
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/30/2004 2:37 am
Hmm.... I wonder if the smaller(second picture) tail piece would work on a PRS.....

Another thing about active pup's is that they basically eliminate any tone the guitar itself produces, ie. the type of woods used play a big part in a guitars tone.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
GuitarSean
GuitarSean
12/30/2004 6:09 am
thanks for the help... But I still don't know what the terms and stuff mean while I'm trying to pick out a pickup? Can someone help with that, and those bridge and tail pieces... what make them better than stock ones? What do they do to improve the sound.
# 4
GuitarSean
GuitarSean
01/03/2005 10:22 pm
I have some questions. Once again, what are Ohmz? and all the other terms used in pickups? I am looking for pickups but I don't know what all those terms mean so I can't pick any out.
Also, my ESP isn't soild body, but how much of a difference will that make? The only guitars I loike that are soild body are too expensive (more than what I'm paying to get my guitar redone) so in the long run, how much difference will it make that my ESP isn't soild body?
# 5
fastelvis
fastelvis
01/12/2005 6:11 am
Like Eddie VH always said - "Let the amp do the work."
I once thought a "Sweeping Arpeggio" was an Italian janitor.
# 6
fastelvis
fastelvis
01/14/2005 1:19 am
I'll try to give you a hand with the Ohms definition. Often referred to as Omh's Law, named after its descoverer, Georg Ohm. Ohms is a measure of a device's resistance to the flow of a signal (voltage and current). In an AC signal, this is called impedance. In a DC signal, it is call resistance.

Ohm's Law: E=Volts, R=Resistance (in Ohms), I=current, P=Power
Visually - A cheater way of combining the formulas follows:
E
------- and also P=E*I
R | I

In the layout on the left, to find the value you are looking for, just cover that one up and you are left with the formula. For example, if we want to find current, cover up the I and you are left with E divided by R (I=E/R). E= R*I, R=E/I. The symbol for Ohms is the letter Omega from the Greek alphabet (sorry, this site will not display the character correctly). Multipliers are sometimes used in addition like k= 1,000. So, 10k ohms is 10,000 ohms.

Now this is kind of a generalization - pickups can vary by type of wire used, potting, etc. But for the most part:
In a guitar amp signal, the current stays constant. If we increase the resistance, it results in a higher voltage (E=R*I). In the second formula for power P=E*I, if voltage goes up, so does power. Higher resistance means higher voltage means higher power means higher output. So, pickups with low resistance (7k-9k ohms) are lower output and are more mellow, clean and warm compared to a high resistance, high output (10k-20k omhs+) pickup. Most pickups placed near the neck are low resistance. Don't put a real high output pickup there or your guitar will sound like crap! Save those for the bridge position.

Most Humbucker pickups are offered in matched sets, one for the neck, one for the bridge (don't get them mixed up). Even if you are buying a matched set of "MegaEarbleeders", you'll find the neck pickup has a lower resistance. Single coil pickups are offered in threes (for Strat type guitars).

I thought the ESP EC-50 was a solid body (Agathis) guitar. Agathis is not a very good tone wood. If your guitar is a hollow body, you may want to stear clear of the higher output pickups. It could overpower your guitar and lead to some serious feedback problems. The EC-400's and 1000's come with active pickups, which are very high output. Probably to make up for the lack of tone from the body wood.
I once thought a "Sweeping Arpeggio" was an Italian janitor.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.