Amp EQ settings

Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
12/22/2004 4:29 am
Hey OGs, this question is for the gear gurus, self-proclaimed or otherwise.

Let's say you want to tweak your amp for a good overdriven tone, lots of gain, but still with discernable notes while playing fast licks. What settings do you use on the EQ? In other words, where do you set the dials for eq, presence, reverb, etc?
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/22/2004 9:20 am
[font=trebuchet ms]Hmm... this isn't gonna help ya much unless you have an old Ampeg, :cool: but here ya go:

input sensitivity @ -9 dB
channel 2 with volume set @ 2 o'clock
Ultra High switch @ + (lesser amps use a control marked "Presence" to try to get this effect by introducing some feedback from the OP tranny. Not quite the same thing. Not nearly as good.)
Treble @ 1 o'clock
Mid Range @ 3000
Mid @ 2 o'clock
Bass @ 7 o'clock (nearly OFF)
Reverb @ 9 o'clock
Master Volume @ 10 o'clock

That's with both pickups in Series coil connection, out-of phase. The result sounds like I'm using a flanger.

For something 'straighter' I'll go with both pups in-phase, or just the bridge, and reduce the input sensitivity and/or change the channel volume to suit.

For a darker sound, leave the knobs where they are and set the Ultra High to 0, and the Mid Range to 1000.

Hah! Try that with a Fender or Marshall![/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
12/22/2004 10:13 am
Originally Posted by: Christoph... lots of gain, but still with discernable notes while playing fast licks.

Crank the gain to the level you need
Bass - above the halfway
Mids - nearly cranked
Treble - below the halfway
This will give you a nice tone to start with , having all notes clear and nice.

For leads (particularly fast stuff) , reverb is a must , little delays always help too.
# 3
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
12/23/2004 7:59 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still experimenting, but so far it sounds pretty good.
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/23/2004 9:09 pm
[font=trebuchet ms]Two replies - two very different voicings!

I roll off the bass because I use heavy strings and a 15" speaker. I haven't modified the tone stack in this amp, but I find it works well for bass too. With the bass knob set at any significant level on my rig, my guitar tends to stray into the bass-player's part of the spectrum. That can work well for rhythm, but lead parts should stand out, yeah?

I'm sure the guitar makes a big difference in the settings as well. With a DiMarzio PAF Pro at the neck, and a DiMarzio Tone Zone at the bridge, in a Yamaha SBG1000 (mahogany neck, mahogany body with maple top), my axe may well sound very different from SLY's or yours.

Personal taste is yet another variable in the mix. Let us know what you're running, and what combinations you find pleasing. [/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
12/24/2004 12:54 am
Basically I dialed back the bass and high to 11 o'clock. Mids and prescence cranked full. Reverb at 10 o'clock. Channel volume almost cranked. Gain to 3 o'clock.

Using the bridge pickup, the highs are really good. Almost all the notes come through when I do fast licks and legato. And with both on, it seems really good for rhythms.

Here's my setup -

Ibanez JS1200, DiMarzio FRED at the bridge and DiMarzio PAF at the neck.
Line 6 Flextone III XL
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.